Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In The "zone"

Flyin40

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about when they are in the "Zone" prior to shooting a stage. What are you focusing on just prior to shooting and while waiting for the commands to start a stage and while shooting a stage.

I think its important to find that one thing that will make your stage go smoothly.

If prior to shooting or while shooting your telling yourself, to slow down, speed up be smooth, be quick etc etc your mind gets so preoccupied with it that you end up making mistakes. I found for myself I needed to think of one thing that translates into everything and keeps me focused. From my college days of throwing shot put I had to find that one thing to think about that made everything else fall into place. In shot I found that if I focused on "Being Slow" in my intial turn in the shot everything else just came together.

Shooting is different because of the time involved in some longer stages but I feel the same type of mental focus can be used in shooting.

In my draw I found that if I only think about my weak hand getting on the gun and pushing out my draw is extremely fast. As soon as I start focusing on other things my draw can slow down a .5 of a second without me consciously trying to slow it down.

I haven't found that one thing yet that works, I'm still experimenting. Right now I'm trying "See the dot" and not worrying about speed or anything else. I think this will end up being my focus. The way I look at it if I think about "Seeing the Dot" everything else will take care of itself, A's speed etc.

Because of the different types of stages there might be a couple of things you have to think about. Smooth into shooting positions/seeing the dot.

It can be any phrase you can come up with that works for you as a individual. This is one of those things that there is never a wrong answer. What works for one may not work for another.

Its worked for me in the past so maybe someone else can use it also. Theres probably alot that already do it but don't realize it.

Flyin40

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm thinking, I'm stinking.

I do best when I clear my mind of absolutely everything.

You don't have time to think/feel about the things you listed, if you have to think it's too slow.

I think you missed my point. It was not to think of alot of things, just find that one thing that helps you.

Actually you are thinking about that one thing.........."I do best when I clear my mind of absolutely everything" Thats what you think about to make yourself shoot a good stage.

Like I said alot don't even realize they are doing it.

Flyin40

I think you missed my point.  It was not to think of alot of things, just find that one thing that helps you.

Actually you are thinking about that one thing.........."I do best when I clear my mind of absolutely everything"  Thats what you think about to make yourself shoot a good stage.

Like I said alot don't even realize they are doing it. 

Flyin40

Nope, If I thought that I would have said that. :) I stated it exactly the way I meant it, it doesn't mean it's the right way for anyone else.

My body know's what to do, I just have to let it do it If I think about anything it takes away from reacting to what I hear or see.

If any "thoughts" enter my mind I suck.

That is how I get in the zone, being in a near vegitative state when the buzzer goes off.

Several weeks back, in a match, out of the blue, I just decided to "push it & go for speed." I managed to clock in my fastest ever splits in a match setting and felt I broke some new barriers. As expected, my accuracy sucked and I had more D's in that match than I probably ever did in last year's combined.:P So I did it again in the next matches (and my accuracy still sucked.:P)

But I noticed, I'm seeing more details than ever and learning other visual cues I've never paid any attention (or more like didn't see) before. The last match I shot, I was relatively more calm than the previous ones at the same "speed" level. Plus, I'm feeling a different kind of "rush" after the shooting and I enjoy the feeling.

Have I discovered a new "comfort zone"? Am I even "in the zone"? I wish I knew.

One thing's for sure though, I'll be shooting this way for a while...the scores be damned, and tell myself to "push it & go for speed.". :ph34r:

I guess if I think about anything it would be what I want my sights to look like.

When ever I have to think about something while I am shooting a stage I blew it.

I don't think about anything except breathing.

I like to use Steve Andersons mental prep work ..... Make a mental dry-run of the "perfect" run for the stage your about to shoot. Picture all Alphas, no misses ... just smooth accurate shooting. Then when the RO says "standby" .... just push PLAY and execute THAT run!

[my own rambling's appear below]

Right after "Are you ready?" ...... I take a deep breath IN ... and then let it OUT .......... after that I dont think about ANYTHING ... not even breathing

Huh ... wonder if I even remember to breathe after that last breath ...... hmmm

Yup, I'm sure I breathe somewhere ... sometime after that!

Just watch the shooting happen, correcting what needs correcting.......... ;)

I try to be completely thoughtless too. If I have trouble clearing my mind due to pressure, excitement, etc., I use a technique I learned while White Water Kayaking. I picture a white room in my mind. Small and completely empty. I go there and take 2 or 3 deep breaths and I can clear out all thoughts. The more I do it, the easier it is to do.

I do not consider the time just before I shoot to be "Zone" time. I will use that time for positive reinforcement thoughts like "see the dot" or playing the stage through my mind or whatever, but when its showtime, I do better calm and clear.

It is very cool to "Zone" on a class 5 rapid. Everything is quite and calm and you only see what you need to see. Time almost stands still and you are aware of everything but only "see" what is necessary. Tranquility in the midst of chaos. You are aware of the rocks (no-shoots) you do not want to hit, but you never "see" them. If you look at them, you will hit them.

Oh boy .......... that conjures up all kinds of "crazy" thread drifts .................. White Room sounds like a Jefferson Airplane song or something! :D

Sometimes I dont even need to "go there" as I'm ALREADY THERE! Heck, I want to stay there all day! :lol:

No seriously .......... something I learned in a motorcycle safety class ........ Look where you WANT to go (taget to target) ......... DONT LOOK where you DONT want to go (No-shoots) B)

Great post Singlestack! Thanks!

If I'm thinking, I'm stinking.

Can I borrow that? That is great!

I don't think about anything except breathing.

Wow, I do similar - well, except I don't think about breathing, I try to observe it during movement. Then when it's time to shoot again, I observe my sights. Now if I can just let go of that judgement thing.....

I have just started to shoot production class...and find it very challenging..overall..because of the minor scoring, I find the need to be more precise with my shots, both in the match and in practice..so my shooting has gotten to be very much about the quality of my sight picture..whereas before in open and limited I was very accepting of a wider wobble ( As and Cs).

..in my practice I found you can really move that front sight so I have been working constantly on my draw and stroking that first double action shot..

now to get to the point..

In my LAMR..I go through my normal visualization of the COF..but have found that I have been ending that by visualizing my draw, feel the pressure of the trigger stroke and seeing the sight on the target and lift...

then I nod my ready for the standby command.. and then I find myself sensing the buzzer..

its a very weird sensation ..and maybe its some crutch that I have picked up since doing the division switch..but sure is interesting.

I just clear my mind and let it happen. Seems to be the smoothest and fastest for me. Just program it and let it happen. I don't even remember seeing the dot when shooting like this.

Mike

When I'm shooting well, I can remember my sight pictures a week or two after the match. I still can see that one on the no shoot I tagged... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I find that if I whisper to myself "relax" right as I draw the gun everything just slows down begins to flow. I just let it happen. The key is to really feel yourself relax when you say it upon drawing. I can actually feel my shoulders drop down into a less tense position. It may feel like that first shot is taking forever but it's really not.

Normally I won't say relax...I know if I am doing my job the rest will take care of itself. Relaxation for me is something that is earned through hours and hours of practice. If I have some nerves before a stage I'll hear my good friend saying "just aim" in my head.

In my case the aiming comes from hours & hours of practice. Nerves come from somewhere much more difficult to train.

Example: A head shot is a head shot no matter what but shooting one in front of 20 people at a local match is different than shooting one in a major match with the super squad.

Now I do believe the more major matchs you shoot in a season, the better you deal with nerves, because you become more comfortable. They start to feel like local matches to you.

My problem is I don't have the opportunity to shoot but a handful of major matches each season.

A head shot is no different whether it is by yourself or in front of the super squad....I've done both.

The only pressure you have is what you put on yourself....if you think shooting on the super squad adds pressure you simply won't be able to make it to the top echelons of the sport because your performance will be adversely affected when shooting with the best in the sport.