Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In The "zone"

Flyin40

I think that's kind of my point. My biggest battle is not shooting or gun handling, its the mental part of the game. Me putting pressure on myself. That's what holds me back and makes it difficult for me to shoot in "the zone" on a consistant basis.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are aware of the rocks (no-shoots) you do not want to hit, but you never "see" them. If you look at them, you will hit them.

That's a valuable lesson when riding/racing a motorcycle as well. (Only without the analogy.) ;-) Look at a rock and you'll hit that rock. Look where you want to go and that's where you will go.

be

Negative ............. I often get into "The Zone" while shooting Bullseye.

I can get into a quick cadence, even on the slow-fire strings, and score better hits than if I took 30 seconds to mentally prep each [breath-aim-squeeze-fire] shot. I cant FORCE myself to get in the zone.

If I just remember to "see only what I NEED to see" on each and every shot, and relax my trigger-finger .... to the point I basically "FEEL what I need to feel" between the nerves in my trigger-finger & the firing pin of the gun .....

THAT is what gets me in the zone for Bullseye. After the string of fire is done, I realize I WAS in the zone. But only after it is over.

I can call my shots in Bullseye almost by the FEEL of the shot & what I SAW at the moment the shot broke. Calling .22 shots at 50 ft. during timed fire, isnt easy ..... especially if you shoot a double. That's why you have to be able to call your shots by FEEL!

I have not done much bullseye shooting...however I believe that it is easier to get in the zone with practical shooting.

The main reason for that is in practical shooting you have so much going on that (for me) my mind is less apt to focus on one thing and is more readily available to absorb everything that is happening around me.

After the string of fire is done, I realize I WAS in the zone.

I get this same effect. In fact, I usually identify it by the things that many others have described - a clear rememberance of where my focus was at every second, and what that looked like, no sensations of rushing or hesitation, and a vague sense of awe and wonder. I can't recall identifying those things while in the moment. I also don't recall experiencing anything other than visual and tactile input when I identify that I've been there.

I find that I encounter different levels of this phenomenon, too - at the lower end, a solid, smooth performance. At the higher end, it approaches a feeling of "using the force" and feels like a spiritual experience - those are rare for me, and only occur when I'm trusting my game and myself explicitly.

I would be interested to know if those of you that have shot both practical pistol as well as bulls-eye style if the zone phenom happens more often with practical shooters than with slow fire target?

I cross-trained with Bullseye shooting (for the Masters) for about 5 years. Although I did manage to slip into "a state of absorption" several times - a couple remarkable times actually - in general I'd have to say it occurred more often in IPSC shooting.

I've thought about this topic quite a bit. For me, the chance of the zone or absorption occurring decreases with the activities "potential for thought." If I "could" think my way through it, or even if I could focus my thinking down to one thought or sentence, I'd tend to go into absorption less often. Like with the Bianchi Cup COF's, for example, I'd come up with a key thought or feeling to maintain for each string. Even though I could perform very well using that method, to me it isn't the same mental state as a state of absorption into the activity itself.

The faster the pace - the less room for thought - the more I'd tend to get lost in the action. I remember realizing the importance of that long ago. I remember it clearly because it was an "ah-ha" moment, when I was thinking about shooting while eating dinner with Bill Blankenship. Maybe it was his tremendous presence that influenced me. (It's fun to think that anyway.) Anyway, it just hit me (seemed super important at the time), that due to the fast paced nature of an IPSC stage, there is no way you can "think your way through it."

The significance, to me, was that, before the buzzer - EVERYTHING must be planned, rehearsed, and clearly decided in my mind, if I had any hope of consistently being successful. That realization set me on a new path. It now seemed that the ultimate state of performing had to "occur," as opposed to being forced or controlled by some sort of thought pattern. I no longer attempted to face IPSC stages with any sort of classical concentration. The speed, decision making, and spontaneity required must come from a state where no thoughts are lingering around, tampering with the action, I thought. Which, I realized later, was a more conducive state for absorption to occur.

Once I became fairly successful at creating a mental state devoid of thought to begin and IPSC stage, it wasn't long after that when I realized that the number one stopper of absorption from occuring was rushing. So I set a goal of creating a mental state devoid of rushing, that I could "remember" and summon on demand.

After writing that I feel that I should add a disclaimer: I'm an idealist by nature. In competition and most everything in life - I'm constantly searching for a better way. What "worked" won't be good enough tomorrow. I'm saying that because I feel my idealistic nature hurt more than it helped, as far as winning matches goes, anyway. Sometimes, too much experimenting with a "new way of seeing," for example, doesn't produce the best results. In the long run - experimenting on your own with the goal of removing doubt from everything you do, and finding a way to recreate a mental state in which you've been successful - will go a long way toward winning matches.

be

Wow! Brian that is deep and way cool.

along these lines, I have justed finished listenig to Lanny's CD set on Mental Managment and it was one of the best things I have ever spent money on. (besides Brain Book which I have reread 5 times now) I praticaularly like the part about the thrid part of the Brain. the part that regulates our performance. What a Wake up call for me! in my shooting and in my life. I highly recommend them.

I'm a little stuck on this one because I don't know that I get into the zone anymore. I know I used to try to - but today it just doesn't seem to be that important.

I don't determine what I'm going to think about. It differs on each stage, my mood, how I feel etc. etc. Sometimes I am focused on the draw, or a clean lift. Sometimes I am focused on the first target - but today I couldn't tell you what I actually think about before I shoot.

My last bigger match I was getting ready to shoot and another great shooter came over and offered up a new way to shoot the stage. Years ago, I would have freaked out in conflict just trying to 'reprogram." I wasn't at all like that this time. I thought about what he said, figured it made sense, and just said "ok - this is how I'll do it" I wasn't worried about screwing up going the new way, wasn't worried about missing a load or forgetting a target. I was cool with whatever - I just wanted to do it.

That isn't the zone, but I kind of feel like my indifference provides a door to "the zone" without really trying to even get there. I know myself well enough that when the buzzer goes off I am not going to be thinking about anything, and I'm going to be shooting as well and as fast as I possibly can. So knowing that all I've got to do is say "here's what I want to do" and not worry about the rest. I can't change who I am when the buzzer goes off - so instead of trying to influence it, I've decided to just let it happen.

I doubt that makes a lick of sense - but its all I've got to try and describe it.

J

That isn't the zone, but I kind of feel like my indifference provides a door to "the zone" without really trying to even get there.

Indifference allows me to detach and become an objective observer. It allows me to quiet my mind, and open up to the truth of what I'm experiencing. It helps me shut off my conscious mind, and just watch and listen. Something like that, anyway :) Sounds similar to what you're getting at??

When I allow myself to remain attached - I tend to obsess, to worry, to be doubtful, etc. The detached state, for me, allows the opposite - focus, trust, and to play the game I brought that day.

Dave

I think that's it. Again, hard to put into words.

You said it though, trust and play the game I had that day. Made better when the competition begs me to make the game I brought that day be a good game. If for no other reason than because when a match is over there is nothing like saying "I did what I could today, and I feel good about the way I shot" regardless of outcome (which inevitably is good)

J

I appreciate all of the great comments on the Zone. I was curious about the effects of movement and speed on the Zone. I've experience in high power rifle and CISM competition where we are shooting rapid fire but I have little personal experience with moving while shooting.

I think that a shooter Zones Out most often when they are process oriented and when the conscious mind is attentive but not overly engaged. This allows the left brain to quite and the subconscious to fully realize its potential. Great shooting normally results. But, the moment you realize you have been in the Zone, you are out and you are not getting back in by trying to make it happen.

That's why shooters must have a practiced mental program to use. The Zone is not reliable. I had no Zone shots in the Gold Medal performance in the Olympics but I have experienced it in World Championships. It has been my experience that it come more often when you are not trying to win and never happens when you are trying to make it happen.

With Winning in Mind,

LB

I have a question.

What's the difference between having an end goal of just having fun as opposed to winning? Both have end goals and to a certain extent even expectations. Yet more often, expecting to win doesn't often lead to a performance you're capable of doing when you're just "having fun."

Did that make sense? :unsure:

That's why shooters must have a practiced mental program to use.  The Zone is not reliable.  I had no Zone shots in the Gold Medal performance in the Olympics but I have experienced it in World Championships.  It has been my experience that it come more often when you are not trying to win and never happens when you are trying to make it happen.

With Winning in Mind,

LB

How about we define the "Zone". From what I have been reading people have very different ideas of what the Zone is and what it means to them.

The Zone to me means a state of mind that comes from mental preparation. I don't try to and make myself get into the Zone, I go through several exercises and those things put me mentally in what I call the Zone. I feel its the overall process, at practice, when we are just sitting around thinking about shooting, match prepartion etc etc. These things together will affect how you perform at the match. I try to go through match preparation the same way, trying to be consistent. I think you have to practice the mental game with repetitions just as you do actual shooting. Trying to do the same thing the same way only adjusting when you something is not going right.

As far as Visualization goes, its very underated. It can have a huge benefit to your game. I can remember in High School I would go through 50 perfect shot put throws in my head before bed every night. When it came time to throw I didn't have to "work" or "try" to visualize that perfect throw, I had already rehearsed it thousands of times, it became automatic.

Flyin40

I think there are maybe two ways to look at "expecting to win". One way is that you're so attached to the concept of winning, that you consciously go about trying to set everything up to insure that you win - resulting in trying to perform from the conscious mind, tight, hesitant performances, and a lot of anger and frustration when it doesn't happen. The other way is that you approach your game with such confidence and trust that thoughts of *not* winning never enter your mind - resulting in you being able to approach your performance in a calm, detached way, and smooth, flowing, solid performances.

I've experienced both of those - there are probably other ways of looking at it, too. When I set out just to have fun, I usually turn in better performances than the first one above. But, I don't think I've ever had a real solid, maximal performance from that attitude, either - there's no drive, for me. I have fun in the 2nd one above, and the "just have fun" - but I feel more rewarded with the 2nd "no way I can lose" mindset...

Does that help??? :blink:

It has been my experience that everything we do has an appropriate amout of mental effort to do it well. If we do not put out enough effort or try too hard our performance drops. I believe that almost all shooters overtry at least some time in a competition and I have written in artiicles that overtrying is perhaps the number one reason that good shooters do not shoot well in competition.

So, what is the correct amount of effort to use? This certainly varies with sport and shooter but one constant appears to hold. The optimum level of mental effort and "Let's just have fun today!" are very close together.

Learning to find your mental effort level is an important breakthrough for a shooter. Most of us overtry way too often and it takes it's toll.

WWIM,

Lanny

Great to have you on the forum Lanny. Reading your book and taking your seminr were some of the best things I have done for my performance. I still have some difficulties applying the concepts to IPSC style shooting, but even a partial understanding is helpful.

Welcome!

PS: Get Troy on the board too. I think he would enjoy it.

Learning to find your mental effort level is an important breakthrough for a shooter. Most of us overtry way too often and it takes it's toll.

Yes - thanks for coming in and sharing your thoughts and insights Lanny!

be

Let me offer some thoughts from the perspective of someone who has studied psychology and who is a pilot, and who has only recent experience in this sport.

When we perform a specific task for the first time, we generally have to consciously control each action we take. As we perform that task more and more, we gain what is called "muscle memory" but in reality is a set of paths in our brains and nerve systems that get better with repeated use. The bottom line is that even complex tasks become almost automatic, allowing us to perform them with very little conscious thought. Practice makes perfect.

Aviation mishaps most often occur when one problem stacks on top of another and the pilot is unable to solve them all at the same time. Flying tasks are concentrated on certain parts of the flight, including the takeoff and landing, so there are more mishaps at these points. Experienced pilots take care of some of these in advance, so there is less task saturation. They are also better able to cope, because they have experience in performing these tasks and therefore have to devote less conscious though to them.

As a shooter, I do much worse when I pressure myself or when I try to rush. I still have to consciously think about many shooting tasks. I know dry firing and range practice would really help, but as of now I just can't take the time. So for now my only practice is in matches. When something goes wrong, I'm either obsessed with what to do if it happens again, or it makes me so mad that my performance tanks.

I have been in my own version of the zone at times. It happens when I understand the course of fire, don't have any gun problems, and when I'm confident enough just to shoot. My conscious actions are like macros, requiring only a single thought to perform a string of tasks. That allows me to get ahead of my game and improve speed and accuracy, rather than getting bogged down remembering each step of each task. When this happens I perform as well as I am currently capable of performing, which is around 55-60% of the winning hit factors.

How about we define the "Zone."

It is difficult to define "the zone" because the zone experience defies logical explanation, in the way we are used to defining things. Things we normally say such as - "this happened (to me)." or "I did this and that was the result," fail to capture the significance of the zone experience. This is because the zone experience is quite unlike our normal way of experiencing the world, in which subject and object are sharply defined. In contrast, the zone experience is felt more as a collapsing or merging of our subjective vs. objective method of perceiving.

Reflecting on it afterwards, words like “absorption” or “merging” describe what the experience felt like. It's a state in which the actor and action merged completely; there's not a trace of the feeling of "someone doing something." It felt like there was something being done but there was no one doing it. Many also agree that the zone experience is characterized by a sense of effortlessness, and that everything slowed down and "got bigger."

I think most (who have experienced it) will agree that is a state or experience that "occurs," often when least expected. "Least expected" is key, because it implies you were not trying anything at all, so you weren't expecting anything. The experience becomes all the more illusive because the first reaction upon emerging from the zone is to try and remember precisely what you were thinking just before it happened, so you can "do it" again. After enough times of watching my mind try to remember what I was thinking (before the experience) and then coming up empty, I realized that I never would be able to remember anything (in order to help me repeat the experience) - because there were no thoughts to remember.

Our body has the capacity to remember sensations - thoughts, images, feelings - but since we're accustomed to thinking about everything we do in life, thinking has become our primary method of responding to life's challenges. The cool thing about experiencing the zone state is that you are coerced, in a way, to acknowledge that there are other ways of solving problems than by thinking about them.

be

Brian, that is the best description of the Zone I have ever read. I could not agree more. We fall into the Zone much the same way that we fall asleep. You cannot make yourself go to sleep on command. You cannot cause the Zone experience, not the experience that Brian and I are talking about. The conscious mind must give up control while still doing its job. That is not its normal state and this is one reason it happens so infrequently.

It is much easier to keep the Zone from happening than to create a situation where it will happen more often. Having coached elite athletes for three decades I have never seen a technique, pill to take, biofeedback system, hypnosis, mantra or anything that can cause this phenomenon to happen on command. Every year or so someone comes along and sells the secret to making the zone happen, but if their system really worked more athletes would use it and I would be the first one to refer clients to them. Could happen someday but I have not seen it yet. I do believe there are things we can do to improve the environment that the Zone likes to live in. One of the best ways is to not be looking for it or simply not need it to win.

It is cool when it happens to us. I believe that it happens far more often than we think but because the duration is so short we do not notice it. When we do notice it is because we have had a longer duration and the minute we realize that we have been in it we are OUT of the Zone and you are not getting back in by trying to.

Some of the forum discussion may be a bit cloudy if we are talking about good manual preparation such as pre-shot routine and controlled thought processes and referring to them as Zone. My system uses Preload and Mental Program as what we are doing mentally and using a defined pre-shot routine as what you are physically doing. These manual techniques are conscious in nature and are quite dependable in their repetition. The Zone phenomenon is subconscious in its nature and is not dependable. You are BLESSED by the Zone.

WWIM,

Lanny