Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
cjd1215

Which Tanfoglio should I get

Recommended Posts

I have been a Glock shooter for a long time. I purchased a CZ and I love how the gun feells and shoots. I am looking to add a Tanfoglio to my collection. Based on reading the many posts it seems the Stock 2 is the preferred gun for USPSA. The problem is it seems the Stock 2 is hard to find. I have been able to find a Stock 3. I have also seen the Stock 2 Xtreme and the Stock 3 Xtreme for sale. I have read the Stock 3 has a problem with the finish coming off and then rusting. My question of the 3 Guns (Stock 3, Stock 2 Xtreme and Stock 3 Xtreme) which one would you advise to purchase. Looking for 9mm to be used in USPSA Production. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get whatever you can find and be prepared to jump on a stock 2 when you find one.  Most Stock 3 shooters I know were in the process of looking for a stock 2 but couldn't find one.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aandabooks said:

Stock 2s come up on here from time to time.  Seems like there were 3-4 moved just a month ago.

 What’s the going rate of excellent condition Stock II these days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not much of a used gun buyer. I like to know how the gun was treated and cared for. I can only know this if I am the only owner of the gun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$1000-$1400 depending on what has been done to the gun and what accessories come with it.  $800-$850 for lightly used stock gun.

 

The thing to remember is that if you buy a stock factory gun you'll need to send $300-$400 to Patriot Defense if you want a super slick trigger, grips and sights.  Each mag with an aluminum basepad is $45.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured I would have to do upgrades to a stock 2 or 3. What about the xtreme guns. Do they need as many upgrades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kneelingatlas said:

I actually prefer the Limited Pro to the Stock II or III, plus Bud's has them in stock at a great price: www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/411551357/eaa_wit_lmtd_pro_9mm_17rd_chr_da

What is it about the limited pro you like better. I can’t get my hands on any Tanfoglio around here so my decision has to be based on others views. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jump on that limited pro and find a Stock II Later. If you dont like the limited pro you would have no probnlem getting your money back as they are becoming very hard to find. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, cjd1215 said:

What is it about the limited pro you like better. I can’t get my hands on any Tanfoglio around here so my decision has to be based on others views. 

 

I like the balance better, the other two feel a touch nose heavy to me.  Between the Limited Pro, Stock II, and Stock III (roughly 42, 43, and 44oz respectively) the Stock III and Limited Pro are the same length (4.75" barrel), whereas the Stock II is a quarter inch shorter, all three share the same grip and internals to they all have the same trigger feel and potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one has commented on the Xtreme versions. These guns seems to be easier to get. What is it that steers folks away. Is it just the cost or are they an inferior gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cjd1215 said:

No one has commented on the Xtreme versions. These guns seems to be easier to get. What is it that steers folks away. Is it just the cost or are they an inferior gun. 

 

Knowing what it costs to upgrade a normal model, I'm not sure what the extra $300 is getting me for an Xtreme model.  Plus resale will not be as easy due to the higher initial cost of the gun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can honestly say I have never bought a gun based on what it’s resale value would be. I do understand not getting what you paid for. Are the internals of limited pro the same as the stock 2 and 3. Sine it is a discontinued model can you still find any parts that may be specific to the limited pro model of any. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 01Deuce said:

Jump on that limited pro and find a Stock II Later. If you dont like the limited pro you would have no probnlem getting your money back as they are becoming very hard to find. 

 

What is so special about that Limited Pro? is it better than Stock 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cjd1215 said:

I can honestly say I have never bought a gun based on what it’s resale value would be. I do understand not getting what you paid for. Are the internals of limited pro the same as the stock 2 and 3. Sine it is a discontinued model can you still find any parts that may be specific to the limited pro model of any. 

 

 

Just that if you want to sell it down the road you'll need a higher price for it and therefore the pool of buyers will be less.  Not saying don't buy it.  I just don't see the value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

 

Just that if you want to sell it down the road you'll need a higher price for it and therefore the pool of buyers will be less.  Not saying don't buy it.  I just don't see the value.

 

Very good advice...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are no valid reasons to buy S2/3 Xtremes. DA trigger is garbage, Cerakote is a pathetic finish, front sight is too wide.  Stock 3 regular is blued, which is the absolute worst finish of all time and why they rust.  You could by the Stock 3, put in a good Dawson front sight, do a trigger job, send it out to be hard chromed, come out way ahead on price versus the Xtreme guns, and have a way better end product.

 

Or put out a WTB for a Stock 2

 

Or buy a Shadow 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on the responses so far it looks like either a stock 3 or a limited pro.  If I get either of these guns, what are the parts I need improve the performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...