Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major loads arnt major anymore! Why?

5.7 grains got me around 930 FPS with a 180gr bullet back in August for Area 8 and again in may for a sectional match. Now that same load is averaging 910 FPS with the same bulllet. I know the cold negatively affects bullets but that seems like a lot. 

This is the first time if ever shot a fall uspsa match so I had to reason to track this. Is this normal? 

Im using a Win. WSF pushing a 180 extreme bullet. 

I don't recall if wsf is temperature sensitive.   I know that winchester super target is. Thats what a 2% drop? Temperature sensitivity or lot to lot variation could easily explain that... or even different light conditions on your chrono.

Edited by caspian guy

Interesting.  WSF has a reputation of being REVERSE temperature sensitive----faster at lower temperatures.  My own experience

seems to bear that out, a 172 PF open load at 45° went 165.1 PF at Area 2 where the temperature was  85°.   

• 3 months later...

Lot variation of powder, or temp even though it's noted as being opposite above, maybe Chrono differences too. Could be your powder implementation throwing off charges, I'd start there making sure you're getting 5.7 grsins every time. Of course, you should test some longer (10-20) strings of shots to see what your ED and SD are overall.

One huge problem is you can only load to 930 if your STD is below 6.5 fps.  Assuming a reasonable STD of about 15, you would need to load to 950 fps.  

What is your 8 round STD? Add at least twice that to velocity needed to meet PF for you bullet weight.  Problem solved!

Edited by jwhittin