Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popple Hole Addition

NoSteel

Decided to try a couple off Popple holes in my open gun.  After 100rnds down the pipe I like the change in dot movement allot.  A little snap of how the gases would travel thru the forward angled ports.

Edited by NoSteel

How/What are you using as gas? I'd like to have a look at the flow of mine. I'll take a video of the gas flow in mine for comparison. I'm running 3 holes, will have to check diameter though. I know my gun stays VERY flat as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ77beDUnfo&feature=youtu.be&t=184&vq=hd720

Edited by niroth81

12 minutes ago, niroth81 said:

How/What are you using as gas? I'd like to have a look at the flow of mine. I'll take a video of the gas flow in mine for comparison. I'm running 3 holes, will have to check diameter though. I know my gun stays VERY flat as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ77beDUnfo&feature=youtu.be&t=184&vq=hd720

Wow, that's flat.  How'd you do it?

Edited by teros135

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

Wow, that's flat.  How'd you do it?

No tricks. 3 Popple holes, properly sprung. copper plated projectiles running about 172PF. Tight grip on the gun and lots and LOTS of practice!

5 minutes ago, niroth81 said:

No tricks. 3 Popple holes, properly sprung. copper plated projectiles running about 172PF. Tight grip on the gun and lots and LOTS of practice!

Yeah, that practice thing.  I've heard about that ;) .

15 hours ago, niroth81 said:

Curious as to how you determine a properly sprung gun?

I always run a 17# ISMI spring in 19/2011 pistols...  I take a couple of recoil springs to the range and see which one keeps the dot in the glass and recycles the gun...  That's the one I use...  I'm shooting am STI Trubor with a 17# main spring and a 9# recoil spring using 173PF 9mm ammo.

30 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

Curious as to how you determine a properly sprung gun?

I always run a 17# ISMI spring in 19/2011 pistols...  I take a couple of recoil springs to the range and see which one keeps the dot in the glass and recycles the gun...  That's the one I use...  I'm shooting am STI Trubor with a 17# main spring and a 9# recoil spring using 173PF 9mm ammo.

Drop that recoil spring to a 7 or 8 and run 115’s and see how different the track is.

Unless the stock trubor has a pretty h any slide I think 9 is really heavy.

I currently use an 8 variable with 121’s but the flattest my gun shoots is with a 7 and 115’s. It just gets unreliable if the gun gets really dirty and I hate to clean guns. :)

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When I switched from gun oil, to Brian's Slide-Glide, that eliminated the gunk on my C-More   :) 

I run Slide Glide also..  Not sure how that affects cleanliness of the muzzle gas though??  I'm a miserably slow c-class shooter and the holes are an experiment to see how it affects recoil/recovery....  Or,. I was bored and had to use the mill on something!!!

My C-More used to get "glopped up" by oil from my TruBor - had to clean lens after each stage.

Now that I'm using Slide-Glide, I don't get any more gunk on my C-More - guess the oil was

splattering and the Slide-Glide stays where it's supposed to stay - 

However it works, my C-More stays MUCH cleaner.    :) 

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

My C-More used to get "glopped up" by oil from my TruBor - had to clean lens after each stage.

Now that I'm using Slide-Glide, I don't get any more gunk on my C-More - guess the oil was

splattering and the Slide-Glide stays where it's supposed to stay - 

However it works, my C-More stays MUCH cleaner.    :) 

The C-More RTS2 on my TruBor also gets "glopped up" during a match...  I have a Brazos RTS2 mount that doesn't have a blast shield...  I was thinking that might be the cause for the oil getting on the front of the lens...  Thinking about changing to an Everglades mount with a blast shield to eliminate the oil from getting on the lens... 

Does your sight mount have a blast shield?

I rarely have to clean any of my rts2 or romeo3, most are on SVI oem mount, sits so low, and I got everything from shorty with 4 huuuge sweage holes and up. 
A lot of theese guns had dirty lenses with upright. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2017 at 2:24 PM, Sarge said:

Drop that recoil spring to a 7 or 8 and run 115’s and see how different the track is.

Unless the stock trubor has a pretty h any slide I think 9 is really heavy.

I currently use an 8 variable with 121’s but the flattest my gun shoots is with a 7 and 115’s. It just gets unreliable if the gun gets really dirty and I hate to clean guns. :)

Thanks, Sarge...  I'm currently in the process of switching to 115's...  I'll check out the recoil springs again... 

Last time I tried recoil springs, the lightest spring I tried was a 9...  7 or 8 pounds sounds pretty light for a recoil spring... 

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

Thanks, Sarge...  I'm currently in the process of switching to 115's...  I'll check out the recoil springs again... 

Last time I tried recoil springs, the lightest spring I tried was a 9...  7 or 8 pounds sounds pretty light for a recoil spring... 

Matt Cheely puts 8variables in his Open builds. 

On 10/26/2017 at 6:49 PM, niroth81 said:

What powder?   Looking at the intermittent fireballs-----3N38?

19 minutes ago, open17 said:

What powder?   Looking at the intermittent fireballs-----3N38?

That’s nothing. 3N37 makes great fireballs about every 3-4 rounds. It accumulates in the comp and then ignites eventually.