Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ribas Gugas Holster Vs Speedsec 5cw

Hagop

I have been shooting from a Safariland 011 holster for the longest time and am in the market for a new competition holster for limited division.

There is not enough information out there from IPSC competitors using these holsters in order for me to make an informed choice.

The Ribas Gugas holster is a Brazillian product where as the Speedsec 5CW is a German one.

I need your help and input on these two products.... be the pros or the cons of either.

Help me make the informed choice.

Thanks

I handled the Guga. Met him too, he's a nice guy.

The Guga is infinitly adjustable, and quality, but HOLY $HIT is that thing expensive. :blink: I have no clue about the other one.

For Limited / Standard I use a $65 "dropped offset" kydex (Bladetech?) and I am faster than I ever was out of a race holster. Something about practice and being able to go after the gun aggressively without fear of knocking it out.

For $75 you can get a brand new Safariland 012, if they have any left.

Other than that, if you like the "bikini" style race holsters, I like the older pin style ghosts. you can lock the gun in and still make a very quick draw.

The most popular holster out there seems to be the CR.

Hmm, that probably didn't help at all, huh?

The Guga is infinitly adjustable...

It doesn't look as if it can go very high...

I have my CR adjusted so the grip is about at the same height that a standard belt holster would put it (fronstrap above the belt). I looked at the Guga Ribas but it doesn't look like the belt hanger can accomodate that setup.

just the best holster i've ever used. great for those run and gun situations. and also guga is a great guy to do business with not to mention his people.

what i like about it is the fact that it uses several retention systems.

a. like the CRspeed's lock/open mode the guga ribas has it

b. like the safariland tensioning system the guga ribas has it

c. it has the compact size that the ghost and limcat has.

if i was to rate it..i'd rate it 5stars!!!!! u won't be sorry u bought it...but that's just me.

Infinity

Their website http://www.gugaribas.com.br/

A review by BE forum member Lynn Jones

This is a review of the new Guga Ribas Holster

I first saw this holster at the Area 2 Championship back in November. The first thing that caught my eye was the quality of the workman ship and machining of the holster. The holster is made of aluminum, and comes in several colors. The Guga Ribas Holster on first inspection resembled the Ghost Holster. On closer examination there is a tensioning bolt that allows for a light to heavy draw. There is also a secure lock down lever, like that of the Ghost Holster and the Limcat Holster. The tensioning bolt allows for a secure heavy draw which will retain the gun in the holster while you have to move before drawing the gun, i.e. the classifier “Celeritas & Diligentia CM-99-3. This is the biggest advantage I see the Guga Ribas Holster has over the Ghost Holster and the Limcat Holster.

The Guga Ribas Holster comes with fittings that allow the holster to accommodate STI, SVI, PARA, and many other guns. The holster also comes with cut down allen wrenches to fit\t the holster to your body.

The Guga Ribas Holster is a two-part holster. Meaning, you can unbolt the holster with the gun still attached. This will allow easy bagging of the gun, and still be safe. This is one feature I didn’t care for. The retaining bolt that holds the holster to the belt came loose while I was practicing Sunday and almost hit the ground. I have since “Loctite” the bolt. I also had to grind the outside plastic flange because it had some sharp edges that scraped on my second finger will dry firing.

In review the Guga Ribas Holster is an excellent holster. The price was a little steep, $189 from Speed Shooting International. Which is where I purchased mine. The Guga Ribas Holster has intergraded the best features of the Ghost and Limcat holsters and made his better.

You can view the holster attached and unattached here:

1) Holster on CR Speed belt. http://www.memphis-ssa.com/guga1.jpg

2) Gun and holster unattached, left side. http://www.memphis-ssa.com/gugadetached.jpg

3) Gun and holster unattached, right side. http://www.memphis-ssa.com/guga2.jpg

Lynn (I should get paid for this) Jones

Craig,

I played with a CR speed a little. Didn't really care for the setup. The Guga seems better made. The holster is very well machined, a lot more adjustable than anything else going. The best feature is the passive lock that is activated by the weight of the gun in the holster. Like anything else best advice is to find them all at a match and try each one. I played with them all last year at Nats and nothing came close to the Gugas.

the reason for SSI pricing a little higher is because they have to import it from brazil. but if u buy direct from guga it's a lot cheaper. not to mention very accommodating.

Not to be argumentative, but I'm sure that the ipsc store had to import them also.

Although I'm happy with my ghost holster, I always wanted to try the Ribas. One question to you owners, is whether the knob on the outside of the holster is an active lock or is it the release to take the holster off from the belt?

I want to thank everyone that has participated in this post and all those that will continue to add to it.

I want to specially thank our host Mr. Brian Enos and "Infinity" for his reply on this particular topic.

I have gone ahead based on what has been said here and purchased a grey Ribas Gugas holster from 2alpa Inc. @ >http://www.2alpainc.com< in Montreal,Quebec,Canada.

Yes....it is an expensive holster....but feel that it is a holster with a lot of versatility and durability for the long haul.

Again thanks to "Infinity" for his addition and helping me make an informed choice for many years of enjoyment in the shooting sport of IPSC.

Even though nothing has yet been said about the Speedsec from Germany, it probably is a holster that could and should be considered by IPSC competitors around the globe.

My choice is made thanks to this forum and all its participants.

• 3 weeks later...