Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where To Mount Red Dot......

I have started a second build on another PCC and will be using a Holosun HS503C red dot (with circle).

My question is this: Is there a best location on the rail to place it? 

By-the-way, I have a C-More on the other gun and like it very much, but decided to give this Holosun a try on this gun. Any opinions?

Thanks, Mike.

I have started a second build on another PCC and will be using a Holosun HS503C red dot (with circle). My question is this: Is there a best location on the rail to place it? 

By-the-way, I have a C-More on the other gun and like it very much, but decided to give this Holosun a try on this gun. Any opinions?

Thanks, Mike.

Everyone is different. Move it forward and back until it you get good eye relief and it seems comfortable for you. 

46 minutes ago, tattooo said:

Everyone is different. Move it forward and back until it seems comfortable for you.

This is this the best advice, as I think the answer is somewhat dependent on the design of the dot.  I shoot RTS2’s and keep them as close to my eye as possible.  This is facilitated by the thin rim of the dot; so the “frame” disappears and the size of the window is optically made to look larger to my eye.   I believe the Holisun has a much thicker frame that won’t so easily disappear, so moving it farther away from the eye might be a better choice as that will have an effect of visually thinning the frame.  Play with the mounting position and you’ll pretty quickly figure out what you like.  Just don’t fall into the tacticool notion that it absolutely has to be mounted on the foreward end of your receiver— you probably won’t need the space behind for BUIS and magnifier.  But maybe you do, lol!!!  

Edited by jkrispies
14 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Think of it this way, if the dot/reticle seems too big, move it out farther.  

If the dot seems too small, bring it closer to your eye.  

It's actually opposite. The dot will appear smaller the closer it is to your eye, bigger the farther out. Try it. 

I've been recently playing with hs503c and noticed I prefer it closer to the stock. I have old eyes, but still do not need Rx when shooting. What I noticed is it gives me a wider field of view within the tube as compared to it being mounted forward. The size and clarity of the dot does not seem to have noticeable effect, when mounted near or far.  I've only shot a few hundred rounds so it's still in the early stage. I just want to pitch in my experience. Hope it helps. 

On my Holosun, I had to run it close to the front of the upper. I think the 1/3 co-witness is a little high. If it was closer to the rear, I felt like I was only looking through the bottom half of the optic.

I have this notion that the optic should be as close to the rear as I can tolerate so the weight is to the rear. I don't know that you'd ever notice though.

52 minutes ago, OPENB said:

It's actually opposite. The dot will appear smaller the closer it is to your eye, bigger the farther out. Try it. 

I am pretty sure that my Holosight (not Holosun) does not get bigger as you move it away.  That is the only scope I have tried at more than the minimum distance. 

The dot scopes that reflect back to your eye likely get larger as you move them out. 

11 hours ago, OPENB said:

I recently tested two 8moa RTS2 at pistol relief and rifle relief and didn’t see any noticeable change in size.  May be dependent on the dot.  This could also explain why there seems to be such a discrepancy between the moa claim on the DPP vs the RTS2 with many folks claiming the 2.5 DPP dot is comparable in size to the 8moa RTS2 dot.  (My testing indicated that the 8moa RTS2 is correctly sized.)

I have found that the closer to the eye that you can get it, the quicker that it is to pick up.  I mounted mine on the pcc near the very back of my mpx and on my AR's it at the very rear, quick to pick up...hope that helps

Some people like to look "through" the sight, and keep it closer to the eye - others like to see the dot float a little further out like a reflex sight, and the sight body almost disappears .... what ever works for you. Try it a few different ways... 

Mikie, defore you mount that red dot think about returning it. I gave one away because of the solar. I hunt and keep my rifle in the case some times i wouldn't pull it out until night and no red dot. Some people might not see this as a problem but for me it was a deal killer. 

Primary arms dot i only change the battery once a year and its always on.