Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Can We Make The Sport More Popular?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the business cards ... a few years ago I worked with a company that made those, and they had competition that would do a run of 1000 cards for free, as a promotional deal. You can also go to www.clickprint.com, and get some business cards made with a lot of detail in bulk.

-TT

Thread drift...

Yar1180,

Hey Ray, it's me ralphie. I am glad to see someone else from paintball made their way into IPSC/USPSA. I draw so many similarities. Shoot me an email when you get a chance. I would like to hear what you been up to.

-Ralph

rasotelo@sbcglobal.net

To combat the quanity problem...USPSA could approach the manufacturers and ask them to target specific models like Glock's 34 and 35, S&W's Doug Koenig model 1911's, Springfield's TGO series etc...etc...etc... ;)

Patiently awaiting the next "Devil's Advocate" response...... <_<

You can get 250 free business cards from Vista Print. And 1,000 plain business cards from Staples will run you about $20. I had a thousand business cards made up for our Section's web site, but it didn't seem that many people or clubs were interested in handing them out because of the prevelant NIH syndrome.

Guys, we're working on the cards, honest. :)

Give me time to get the artwork from Sedro and we'll get them done. I just spoke to Dave Thomas today. It will probably take him a day or two to get me USPSA's logo artwork. If someone else has a high-res file of the USPSA logo and the DVC logo, that would be incredibly helpful.

Might take a week or two to do all the coordination, but we *will* get artwork submitted to Sedro so that they can run cards.

Yeah, what Flex said!

When I wanted to add the logo to the club website I had to swipe it the hard way. Several other big organizations I deal with just put these files up for free download.

BTW...when I bought my Kimber a couple years ago there was a nice tri-fold USPSA brochure in it. I was already involved but I did pass the tri-fold along to a friend that was interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys wnat good paintball guns cost. some guys about between two and three thousand dollars for them Paint is a 100 a case or above. I big match you can shoot two cases. For the big boys its cost alot of money

Hey Eric;

Strangely enough, one of the older iterations of NSSF made just such a television commercial using Doug Koenig shooting an IPSC stage. It was pretty good, too. The commercial was made available for stations to run, and we actually ran it a bunch a couple of years back. Then NSSF lost interest and drifted back to being the National Shotgun Sports Foundation.

The biggest problem froom a media standpoint — and this seems counterintuitive — is that IPSC isn't politically incorrect enough...we did manage to get SPORTS ILLUSTRATED and some of the flashier men's magazines out to matches or staged events, and they were mega-underwhelmed by the generally crappy look of the stages. NASCAR looks flashy; we look like we just raided someone's abandoned storage shed or staged a midnight run to a bombed-out Bosnian Home Depot.

The MAJOR reason we were able to "sell" cowboy to the broader media market was because it looked cool. Hey, dis 'em all you want, but they shoot real guns with live bullets in scenarios that clearly involve shooting humanoid targets. They have, indeed, shot the sheriff, and occasionally the deputies.

When you're in a sport, the sport itself looms really large. From an outsider's viewpoint, the sport is only part of the overall package — bicycling didn't really work without Lance's backstory, for instance.

My own Outdoor Channel match got postponed until Fall 2007 because of the hi-def changeover and the launching the all hi-def Outdoor Channel 2, which went live in July, and Outdoor Channel On-Demand, which will be up this Fall. But the criteria for that match are: 1) all reactive targets, 2) required athletic ability/challenges, 3) a scoring system that allows for on-screen leaderboard, 4) a match structure that allows for come-from-behind possibilities, 5) broad-based shooting challenges that include distances out to 100 yards, speed events and events that allow a level of shooter-options. In other words, I'm building a match for television instead of trying to adapt an existing structure.

Because you guys are right...we need more people, more new blood in the shooting sports. We had hoped to use NSSF as a vehicle to help us all out, but we were, as they say, overtaken by events.

Michael B

I'm building a match for television instead of trying to adapt an existing structure.

Because you guys are right...we need more people, more new blood in the shooting sports.

Michael B

God bless you MBaneACP! Thats exactly what we need, an additional sport thats made for TV. Your right that from the inside we love it but from the standpoint of a spectator sport we have no bling.

We must seek new shooters on all fronts! :P

It's not just props that have to look good. Each shooter should dress accordingly, team colours, no jeans and t-shirts.

To get good coverage I think that teams as well as individuals should be scored. That way you get two races for the price of one. The blow-by-blow account of one shooter versus another then the same thing with the teams.

I would also have a couple of women-only teams. It brings in women viewers and brings an added level of excitement vis-a-vis "How well can they do against the men". Kind of manipulative I'll admit but other sports have done it to great effect. And judging by the results of the last Nationals the women WILL give the guys something to worry about.

To do a leaderboard almost requires a time-only scoring method, steel targets only would make it reactive and allow the couch potatoes to keep track of everything. Serious penalties for leaving steel standing or proc errors.

The 100 yard option would slow things down too much (IMHO). So keep it all close and fast...

Stages should be physical, just standing shooting at targets is boring, running around like the devil himself is on your tail and blagging targets on the move it exciting. Mini-cameras attached to the shooter to give a shooters-eye view of the stage as well as overhead cams will give the spectators a view other than staring at the shooters butt for each stage.

Lastly - and most importantly - SAVE ME A SLOT :D

No matter the actual COF, you are gonna wanna use the top IPSC/USPSA folks to get the most bang for the buck. Robbie, Eric, Matt and the rest of the top of the pack will do you just as proud as the basketball Dream Team did at the Olymics that strange but interesting year ;-)

--

Regards,

Strangely enough, one of the older iterations of NSSF made just such a television commercial using Doug Koenig shooting an IPSC stage. It was pretty good, too. The commercial was made available for stations to run, and we actually ran it a bunch a couple of years back.

If I remember correctly, these ads ran last year on OLN during their Tour de France coverage.

No matter the actual COF, you are gonna wanna use the top IPSC/USPSA folks to get the most bang for the buck. Robbie, Eric, Matt and the rest of the top of the pack will do you just as proud as the basketball Dream Team did at the Olymics that strange but interesting year ;-)

--

Regards,

I respectfully disagree; If we just show the best in the world then the sport will seem out of reach for the average spectator. You have to give them something that they can relate to. I would suggest a mix of A, M and GM in each of the divisions. The different divisions will show that the opening investment can be kept reasonable and the other divisions will provide choice based on the viewers financial situation.

The same applies to the skill levels, by showing average shooters you won't intimidate the viewer into not participating and the higher levels give them something to aspire to.

I'm not sure....there are very few people that watch non-pro sports.

True, but something of this ilk is more of a commercial... Besides you will have the top guys there as well. I think it would work out ok, especially if we could get some DVDs made cheap enough that we could hand them out like candy to all our friends who don't get the cable tv, kind of an introduction to the whole Practical Pistol thing..

I think the "is more of a commercial" thought has some merit. In order to do what Bane wants, someone is going to have to put a lot of money into stages since they will have to meet two additional requirements ... be camera friendly and look good. Looking good will be very important for spectator appeal. Competitors will have to be made to meet a strict dress code, since they will have to look good as well. That will be much easier for the pro and semi-pro shooters who can wear their sponsors colors. Others of us will look like Kenny Wallace (NASCAR Driver) in recent races with the white car.