Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shipping reloaded ammo.

himurax13

You can not mail ammunition.  You CAN mail cases and bullets, just no loaded ammo.

If you have primers and powder, it gets really difficult and expensive.   

You can ship loaded ammo by common carrier.  Must be labeled ORMD,  pretty sure it must be shipped from a hub.

Not bad as far as expense--it doesn't have to go overnight or anything.

How much ammo are we talking about?  Might even be cheaper to palletize it and ship truck?

Edited by open17

I mail loaded ammo to matches all the time. You can mail loaded ammo, legally. I normally pay about $25 to mail 400 rounds of 9mm half way across the US. You just have to do it properly. You just can't throw it in a box, unlabled and have usps do it, that's for sure.

So if you're sitting on say 3k rounds of loaded ammo or have cases and cases of ammo you might need to rethink what will work best. When I moved from San Diego to Arkansas it just worked out better for me to drive one of the cars with all this kind of stuff in it. Moving company also wouldn't knowingly accept firearms or loaded ammo. So all of my guns, all of my loaded ammo, primers, powder and my press went into a car with me as I drove across country. Moving company moved all my brass and projectiles just fine.

Edited by rowdyb

4 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I mail loaded ammo to matches all the time. You can mail loaded ammo, legally. I normally pay about $25 to mail 400 rounds of 9mm half way across the US. You just have to do it properly. You just can't throw it in a box, unlabled and have usps do it, that's for sure.

Mail= USPS?  

U.S. Postal Service (USPS): Shipping of Ammunition is Prohibited
Ammunition (Cartridges, small arms) is a nonmailable hazardous material. "Under no circumstances may any nonmailable hazardous material, restricted matter, or perishable matter be deposited for mailing."
Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail
Cartridges, small arms - Appendix A - Hazardous Materials

If I used the term "Ship" would that make you happier? A person may ship their reloaded ammo totally legally. I've done this many a time as a regular person via FedEx and UPS.

If the poster above can only read/use the term "mail" to be completely about the USPS then that's their issue. So yeah, don't "mail" yourself ammo. But in my colloquial usage of the term "mail" I mean the ability to send something. Whether us postal service, fedex or ups. Pick the one that lets you do what you want.

Dude, shipping your own ammo to yourself instead of moving it yourself will get cost prohibitive depending on how much you have.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

If I used the term "Ship" would that make you happier? A person may ship their reloaded ammo totally legally. I've done this many a time as a regular person via FedEx and UPS.

If the poster above can only read/use the term "mail" to be completely about the USPS then that's their issue. So yeah, don't "mail" yourself ammo. But in my colloquial usage of the term "mail" I mean the ability to send something. Whether us postal service, fedex or ups. Pick the one that lets you do what you want.

Dude, shipping your own ammo to yourself instead of moving it yourself will get cost prohibitive depending on how much you have.

Rowdy, I hate to break it to you but you clearly said usps and mail in your post. But in general most of us know that was probably just a slip of the keyboard.

last time I shipped ammo I used the UPS home pickup. Put the ORM-D stuff on the box, did the thing on the web page and they came and got it. 

Later,

Chuck

PS: I was confused about "mail" so I went to the dictionary and found this:

verb (used with object)
7. to send by mail; place in a post office or mailbox for transmission.
8. to transmit by email.

:P

On 9/21/2017 at 8:38 PM, 3guns said:

You can ship 66lbs of loaded ammunition per package.  It must be shipped via ground with the ORMD label on it.  Most UPS stores are not familiar with the procedures, but the the instructions are at here:

I recently used Fedex to ship 1500 rounds one state away. Cost was $36.  Fedex process is the same as UPS. And as 3guns stated, the stores don't know and will send you on a wild goose chase.  Start with your nearest ground shipping office.  You could also call an air freight office and see if they will accept your package on behalf of ground shipping.  I was able to do that at my local Fedex Air Shipment location.

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:55 PM, open17 said:

You can not mail ammunition.  You CAN mail cases and bullets, just no loaded ammo.

If you have primers and powder, it gets really difficult and expensive.   

You can ship loaded ammo by common carrier.  Must be labeled ORMD,  pretty sure it must be shipped from a hub.

Not bad as far as expense--it doesn't have to go overnight or anything.

How much ammo are we talking about?  Might even be cheaper to palletize it and ship truck?

USPS will not do it. Loaded ammo and primed cases are not hazmat, only primers and powder. But I think it should go ups ground.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, 3guns said:

You can ship 66lbs of loaded ammunition per package.  It must be shipped via ground with the ORMD label on it.  Most UPS stores are not familiar with the procedures, but the the instructions are at here:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page?

Thank you. I guess I will roll into one of the main hubs and see what the costs are. I may just have to break down and get a trailer.