Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Stay In Control For The Entire Match...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake,

I apologize for my ADHD episode.

You're absolutely right, it is that simple. During practice today, I relearned something brand-new again. :blink: The gun goes where your eyes go. Amazing. I'm understanding my recent outbreak of Ds and mikes. Yeah, aim and follow through. Incredible.

I actually thought about your post during my practice. Pretty cool, thanks!

• 6 months later...
So much for this thread helping anyone....I knew I should have locked it.... :(

Well, I would laugh and come up with a witty remark also ... BUT AFTER SEEING YOU SHOOT (ON VIDEO) I NOW SURF THE FORUM LOOKING FOR ANYTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY. And I'm at the point where this makes a kind of sense ... for me I have been focusing on the small stuff and it helps me to keep it together ... the matches I come out on top are the ones where I was keeping it simple...

I'll try it ... Just AIM ...

Don't let jokers ... keep you from posting! Some of us really want to hear how the HELL YOU DO IT!

Feel free to explain the concept ... If I got it wrong!

I have two matches this weekend ... will see if I can JUST AIM!

Si

Jake,

.....You're absolutely right, it is that simple. During practice today, I relearned something brand-new again. :blink: The gun goes where your eyes go. ......... Yeah, aim and follow through. Incredible.

This is true - I know this is true. MY bottom line is that I can't keep the mental discipline thing going long enough to shoot an entire match without falling back to - yank the trigger on the brown - sight picture.

Jake,

.....You're absolutely right, it is that simple. During practice today, I relearned something brand-new again. :blink: The gun goes where your eyes go. ......... Yeah, aim and follow through. Incredible.

This is true - I know this is true. MY bottom line is that I can't keep the mental discipline thing going long enough to shoot an entire match without falling back to - yank the trigger on the brown - sight picture.

Merlin ,, Buddy :)

have you read any thing on the lines of what Lany Basham writes?

one thing that will helps alot,,if you can't get a coach is ' Be your own best friend'

After every stage, =taulk yourself up find things that your doing right, and forgive the small errors. Recognise what could have ben better and thin forgive it . The most I have ever ben albe to do,, so far is have a match at 80%. that is what makes all of it worth doing.

Funny to see this thread back up. I was just re-hashing my mental program (on the beach today). My best performance has alwasy come from getting to a place where I allow myself to "just shoot". I thought about Jake's (via TT?) "just aim". Good stuff.

And a big +1 to Alamo's message to Merlin.

I have had the good fortune of being squadded with Jake when he was still shooting production, and the biggest problem I had with watching him was that I just couldn't believe that a human could work a gun that fast and shoot so many A's at the same time. He has some other stuff working, like lots of dry fire, but if he says "just aim" and Brian likes it, well, you could pay lots of money and get poorer help.

Jake, thanks for posting.

Billski

Everyone keeps telling me to shoot fast; the A's will come later.

I'm curious as to who "everyone" is. I have heard this as well. However, when asked what is the most important thing for aspiring shooters to work on, I noticed all of the top shooters interviewed by Saul in his 2005 Nationals video said "accuracy."

Should we shoot alphas and the speed will come later?

Should we shoot fast and the alphas will come later?

Brian had a post somewhere which I printed and I have as the front page in the "solutions" section of my journal which discusses the fact that we must be accurate AND do it quickly. We need both. But when developing that ability to do both, which approach should we take? Is it subjective - one is best for some, the other for others? Or is there a middle ground? Am I thread drifting?

Jake,

Looked into this topic for all the answers. As I went along reading all the post it made me think about past matches, when and where control was lost and maintained. I have not been to many matches. But speed and A's came with smooth runs, not doubting the shot I just fired, not thinking about where this run just put me in the standings, and focusing on the front sight when the gun was in the right palce to release the shot.

I have also noticed that a few minutes after the stage that I can not visually remember any particular sight picture on any target that was engaged, except for a miss on a steel or a D on a paper. Of course I made up the miss on steel but let the D go for the sake of speed.

I have also learned to let a bad stage go from the time I bury the score sheet in my range bag. If I continue to think about it then more bad stages will follow.

In the future I will focus more on this control issue.

Good Luck !

Everyone keeps telling me to shoot fast; the A's will come later.

I'm curious as to who "everyone" is. I have heard this as well. However, when asked what is the most important thing for aspiring shooters to work on, I noticed all of the top shooters interviewed by Saul in his 2005 Nationals video said "accuracy."

Should we shoot alphas and the speed will come later?

Should we shoot fast and the alphas will come later?

Brian had a post somewhere which I printed and I have as the front page in the "solutions" section of my journal which discusses the fact that we must be accurate AND do it quickly. We need both. But when developing that ability to do both, which approach should we take? Is it subjective - one is best for some, the other for others? Or is there a middle ground? Am I thread drifting?

Interesting timing for me on this topic, I just recently just started rereading BE's book and for some reason the part in the first few sections that really jumped out at me Wed night was his talk about accuracy. I've read this before but for some reason it really jumped off the page at me this time (it’s like I was reading it for the first time again). I am definitely paraphrasing off the top of my head but I took away from it that you need to develop your accuracy first. Whether or not that was his intent I'm not sure but that's how I interrupted it this time.

Maybe if you JUST AIM the speed is RIGHT for your level of shooting! Then work on AIMING FASTER... I personally use the words AIM SMALL ... for my mental plan ... as i tend to shoot targets instead of shooting A's

JUST AIM works for me ...!

.68 draw

. 80 reload

. 15 tran

. 15 split

100%mental

-----------------

EQUALS= AREA 1 champion

That's all I have to do ... I can do the 1st 4 =) well maybe . 20-.18 splits and trans and the draw might be a . 80 or so ... but that's close enough to be in the top 10 .....if not win ...... so the real problem is MENTAL ! If i CAN JUST AIM .... AND IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE ... AND JUST LET MY SKILLS DO THERE JOB ... I WIN! SOUNDS EASY!=) IF I CAN ONLY LET MYSELF BELIEVE IT IS EASY!

THANKS FOR THE TIP

SI

In all seriousness, most stuggling shooters that I work with don't have a problem aiming. Lack of trigger control seems to munch their lunches.

My impression was FrontMan was kidding?

I struggle with both aming AND trigger control, depending....The root of the struggle comes from the same cause: lack of patience. :(

It's interesting -- in a Garcia class I took, he swore *both* trigger control and sights (aming) could never be subconscious, but it seems my mind either feels the trigger or sees the sight picture, but not both, concurrently.

Virtually every greybeard I've spoken with has said to focus on accuracy, then develop speed. That makes sense. Emphasizing speed first at the expense of accuracy will teach us to do things fast but wrong. Emphasizing accuracy first and not worrying about speed will teach us to do things slow but right. Speed will come later. Of course I haven't always practiced what they've preached, but that's another story.

+1 on trigger control being the biggest problem. I can aim without thinking, but that doesn't do me any good if I yank the muzzle off target. Of course some times I do treat the front sight as a strictly ornamental accessory, but that's another story.

To me, aiming is keeping the gun on target until the bullet leaves the barrel. So if you really think about it, aiming and trigger control are one in the same.

Bingo. Ensuring you do what must be done so each shot hits the target. That's "just aiming." It's deep, kinda like "you can't step in the same creek twice."

;)

• 2 months later...