Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good OAL for new PSA AR9

Hi new here and new to 9mm AR carbines. I just received an upper and lower from Palmetto State Armory. The lower is complete and uses glock mags. The upper has a 16" barrel with hybrid BCG. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-9mm-nitride-1-10-13-5-m-lok-railed-upper-with-hybrid-bcg-ch-516446602.html .       

I shot the rifle today with my reloads I use in my CZ SP-01 Shadow. The overall length on the rounds is around 1.125". They are 115gr xtreme plated round nose. I shot about 100 rounds of these and had 2 rounds that didn't quite make it into the chamber. Do I need to go shorter or longer on the OAL to correct this? Thanks, Mark.

Edited by railroader
Brain fart left out a 1 on the length.

Mark, I may be wrong, but don't think you can go 1.25" OAL with a 9mm ??   Maybe a .38 super ??

Your OAL will be determined by the bullet  =you'll have to run The Plunk Test to determine

your gun's longest possible OAL, and then back off it  - but it will vary with different bullets   :) 

So far no one has posted they have been successful shooting any load that long (1.250") in a stock PSA 9mm barrel.  Once they are throat reamed, they might work but getting it reamed is a problem.  Standard reamers tend to self-destruct.   Forum member "1911luvr" had some carbide tipped reamers custom made that he has had excellent luck cutting through the nitride finish.  If you want to load long, you might want to contact him.

The comment that their barrels are now "optimized for use in Pistol Caliber Carbine competitions" may indicate they have lengthened the throad on the newer barrels but that has not been confirmed.  (Do a plunk test and you might be the first to report.)

I've not shot the 115 gr Xtreme RN but my go to round for USPSA is 147 gr Xtreme RN.  Maximum OAL loaded is 1.085". This passes the plunk test.

The closest thing I have to 115 gr is my load with 125 gr Blue Bullets RN coated.  I can load it to 1.100".

I have three PSA barrels and the above loads fit in all of them.

Bill

PSA is now stating that their chambers are 1.1 and I can tell you after a lot of trial and error that on my 16" PSA upper that anything longer will lead to feeding and or extraction issues.

Check out my 2 recent treads for more valuable info from the forum members.Good luck with your new toy!

Hello: You will have to check the overall length with the type and shape of bullet you are using. You maybe able to load to 1.140" OAL with one bullet but only 1.050" OAL or shorter with another one. Do a plunk test and see what you length you can use is the only way to find out what your barrel will be able to take. Have fun shooting your PCC. Thanks, Eric

I'm not having a problem with the OAL because of the rifling. The two rounds that didn't feed didn't go in the chamber at all. The tip of the bullet hit low on the barrel and didn't chamber at all. I was using a magpul mag if it matters. I also shot about 50 rounds of factory federal that was 1.155" and it ran fine.

Edited by railroader

The shape of the bullet will allow you to load long if you using a TC shaped bullet. I was just calculating the length that I would be able to load SNS coated 135s and 147s. 

The 147s I would have to load to an OAL of 1.010. This leaves a short gap between the ogive and lands. Hopefully the gun will run with this load. It's their new bullet design and in red. 

The new barrel design works best at around 1.155 - 1.160 and it was lengthened to accommodate longer loads. It has been tested from 90 grain 1.050 out to 147 grain 1.165 (out of spec for Glock mags) and they fed fine.  Make sure your barrel, near the brake, has: "9MM 1:10 PSA PCC CHAMBER" etched on it. If it has this engraving and is still causing issues, please message me and we can go from there. What folks did prior to 8/1/17 (which is when the V2 barrel was released) will be different. If this upper is giving you problems I would like to know so I can work to get it corrected.

Edited by wyliearms
On 8/23/2017 at 0:29 PM, wyliearms said:

The new barrel design works best at around 1.155 - 1.160 and it was lengthened to accommodate longer loads. It has been tested from 90 grain 1.050 out to 147 grain 1.165 (out of spec for Glock mags) and they fed fine.  Make sure your barrel, near the brake, has: "9MM 1:10 PSA PCC CHAMBER" etched on it. If it has this engraving and is still causing issues, please message me and we can go from there. What folks did prior to 8/1/17 (which is when the V2 barrel was released) will be different. If this upper is giving you problems I would like to know so I can work to get it corrected.

@wyliearmsI received my V2 upper yesterday (w/ 9MM 1:10 PSA PCC CHAMBER" etched on it) and couldn't get anything longer than 1.100" to drop free during a plunk test. 1.140" to 1.150" rounds looked like they were not making it fully into the chamber on plunk. I understand they may be forced in all the way by mass of the bolt, but that would make it tougher to unload manually. I'm running Montana Gold 124gr round nose FMJs.

Could I have gotten an older shorter chambered barrel?

I sent you a message but I shoot Hornady 147 grn RNBT's at 1.155 in mine with no issue. It may not drop free from a plunk test but you should not have any issue unloading a live round like before. The issue was the chamber was short and the chamfer was deep and not wide enough. I sent you my contatct information. Go run it through its paces and if you have any issues, let me know.

An update on the "new" PSA V2 upper and OAL for this thread.

I tested my setup this weekend with over 350 rounds and it ran great with loads from 1.100" to 1.150" (Montana Gold 124g FMJ which are RN) with the following notes:

• I was able to run OALs out to 1.150" with reliable feeding and extraction. On loads that were 1.150+" I was not able to manually eject a round at all. I had to fire the round to clear the chamber.
  • On loads up to 1.140" I was able to manually eject easily even though anything longer than 1.100" wouldn't pass a plunk test.
  • I have reset my press to an OAL of 1.135" to start and will see how it runs in a match.
15 hours ago, TGibe said:

An update on the "new" PSA V2 upper and OAL for this thread.

I tested my setup this weekend with over 350 rounds and it ran great with loads from 1.100" to 1.150" (Montana Gold 124g FMJ which are RN) with the following notes:

• I was able to run OALs out to 1.150" with reliable feeding and extraction. On loads that were 1.150+" I was not able to manually eject a round at all. I had to fire the round to clear the chamber.
  • On loads up to 1.140" I was able to manually eject easily even though anything longer than 1.100" wouldn't pass a plunk test.
  • I have reset my press to an OAL of 1.135" to start and will see how it runs in a match.

That is very encouraging! I bought mine in April and am having intermittent FTF and double feed problems.I am going to take up PSA's offer to exchange even though I have loaded over 1,200 rounds @1.1oal in several different loading's to get the gun to run right.

I bought my PSA upper around december and had the short chamber issue. I sent mine back and the rebarreled it. I have ran a mixture of loads through it and mo issues now. 115s, 124s, and 147s. I dont remember the lengths I just grabbed a mix and started shooting. even mixed the ammo together to try and make it malfuction. So I am happy with my results.