Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100 Safety Question...

Looking at every thread in regards to the RF100 I notice the instances of flipped primers every so often. I have no issue in regards to pulling bullets (I do them in batches with a collet puller, so no biggie) with flipped primers assuming it is in 1 in 1K or so.

However, I do have issues with them detonating in my 1050/650 due to the primer being flipped. So, the question is whether the only downside of the flipped primer is an extra round that one needs to pull eventually or do they cause detonations?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I use CCI SPP

Edited by tanks

Only my wife detonates when she discovers that she gets all the flipped primers.  The incidence of flipped priimers with CCI is very, very small when the RF100 is adjusted properly.  There is anecdotal evidence that WSP are even better.  I had short runs of both WSP and S&B, both of which seemed to do fine in both the RF100 and our 9mm 1911s.

With S&B primers I get 2 or 3 per tube. Those 3 get seated upside down in my 1050 no problem. Never a detonation.
S&B are my worst for flipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, oteroman said:

With S&B primers I get 2 or 3 per tube. Those 3 get seated upside down in my 1050 no problem. Never a detonation.
S&B are my worst for flipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

very odd, they must be different for everyone. I'm getting maybe 2 or 3 per ~400 if that with s&b

Every machine is different.  I have three, and one prefers WSP, the other does 100% on S&B, so I use them accordingly. 

I can't explain why... they are all from the same generation, but have small differences in their behavior.

In the millions of primers I ran through the RF-100, the upside down flip rate was maybe 3 in 1000 primers. Never had a detonation. But, due to the occasional flip factor, all my match ammo went into ammo boxes (for the visual on the primers). (The match ammo used to just go into a ammo bag.)

When I was having some problems with my first one, I spoke to Dillon people and they told me nothing can be done by the owner, as it requires special jig, so just send it to them.

I did and it came back in MUCH better shape.

So this would be my advice to you.

23 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I've probably seated 50 or so flipped primers on my 650 in the last 8 years. Never had one detonate.

Never say that. You've never heard of Murphy? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Youngeyes said:

Never say that. You've never heard of Murphy? :ph34r:

If it happens, it happens. I'll fix the busted parts on the press, change my shorts, and keep on loading. I don't think of one as some sort of massive disaster. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I had my first primer explode two weeks ago, the first in 35 years of reloading.

The 1050 war running on its power drive when a .22 case inside the 9mm brass broke the depriming pin.  The swager pushed the existing primer deeper, than the machine tried to insert new one. 

It was surprising, but not damaging in any way.  Removed the bad pieces and back to business.