Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic magnification

FortesInFide

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, FortesInFide said:

Has anyone considered 2-10 lax or the like?

I'm also a noob at rifle shooting - been reading about

AR's and 3-gun for years - finally bought an AR with

a MTAC 1-4x scope, since they were so popular many

years ago.

Like you, I'm still playing with the concept, though,

of a higher powered scope.

I shot my MTAC, and on 4x, I feel like I would like

MORE magnification than 4x to sight the gun in

at 200 yards.

So far (untested), I believe I could shoot a Bay

Course with a 2x or even 3x scope, but again, I've

never actually tried it.   BUT, using the scope in

my house, I can find small, close objects very

quickly on 3x (4x seems to be a little tougher).

And, at 72 years old, I would definitely benefit from

much more magnification that 4x, or even 6x.

So, I understand the disadvantages of higher power

(I've been reading on this topic for two years now),

BUT, I am "Considering" testing and evaluating

the advantages of using higher magnification.

Will let you know what My Personal Findings

are, once I get my findings.

Let me know what your experiments show YOU.    :) 

Low magnification like on the 3.5 or 4x ACOG is ok but not as good as 1x for closer targets. Up to 15 yards or so it's fine with both eyes open, but any further than that, my eyes start to get pulled into the magnification and it slows me down when it's time to move to the next target

Man! That's going to entail buying a lot of optics and mounts! If only there were a forum where you could get answers from people who have shot 3-gun for a while.

My two cents says magnification of any level isn't necessary as long as you can see the target. Coming from a background in iron sights shooting......NO, not a dot sight, but real iron sights, I have found almost all folks are way over magnified at any thing past about 4X, and it slows them down at long range. I know, I know, but before you start telling me......young eyes....bifocals....etc. I am 58 years old and still placing very well in overalls with just good old A2 iron sights!

Was a rather facetious reply.  Actually, most people probably use 1X most of the time.  And a lot of people just go from 1X to whatever max is without using any of the intermediate levels.

On 7/31/2017 at 1:47 PM, Steve RA said:

Was a rather facetious reply.  Actually, most people probably use 1X most of the time.  And a lot of people just go from 1X to whatever max is without using any of the intermediate levels.

I often use intermediate magnification.  Generally whatever level will let me keep at least a couple targets in the array in the sight picture at a time, so I don't get lost in transitions.

1-4x is plenty.  Heck as Kurt mentioned 1x is plenty if you have decent target presentation.  I have a 1-6x because it had the best reticle in my opinion.  The awesome glass was just a bonus. :)

1-6 is my favorite. 1-4 got lots of use before 1-6's came along. vast majority of shots will be taken at 1x. My rule of thumb has always been 100yds for each power increase. 1X for 100 yds, 2X for 200 yds etc. difficult to see targets may get a slight increase from my rule. My best long stage ever with the rifle was targets out to 350 yds and forgot to change from 1X. It opened my eyes to what Kurt said above, as long as you can see the targets less is more. I think a reticle that works for you is more important than magnification.

I would be fine not having 1x only if I had a really good set of fast offset irons.  I am definitely slower with magnification >1X in bay style stages.  If there aren't any targets under 50 yards, then not an issue.  I can't see a situation in most 3G events where you'd need more than 6x though.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, Steve RA said:

I also use intermediate magnification a lot.  Somewhere around 2.5X is good for finding mini-poppers in grass at 75-100 yards.