Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 170mm mag going full potato

Jonesjohnm

I picked up a new STI 170mm 9mm magazine about a month ago. I installed a Dawson Prec plus 1 basepad. Since doing so the follower seems to get stuck very low in the magazine and turning my mag into a pepper shaker.... any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: Try a different follower/spring. I have not played with the new STI mags yet so I can't say which follower/spring setup will be best. I am not sure if the mag will need the rib lengthened also. It is called a "Salt Shaker" by the way and they suck. Thanks, Eric

I use Grams followers & springs in my 170mm STI magazines with NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER...  and I use the spacers also..

Edited by cecil

1 hour ago, Jonesjohnm said:

I was able to get pictures

If I'm seeing the first picture right, we're looking through the feed lips and the follower is completely upside down, right? Is the spring still attached to the follower?

10 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

If I'm seeing the first picture right, we're looking through the feed lips and the follower is completely upside down, right? Is the spring still attached to the follower?

It doesn't look like the follower is upside down, to me.

You can see the ribs of the old-style tube in the pics.

Its a stock follower.

Should be good with a Grams kit.

Does appear to be stuck at the bottom of the ribs, follower still upright.

Helps to bevel the two vertical  ribs at the bottom so it transitions better coming up from the bottom.

"IT" being the follower, Also suggest a TTI or grams follower

Edited by jcc7x7

Yes you are seeing through the feed lips and down the tube, I replaced the follower, no change. I don't have another spring handy to try at the moment. This is the old style tube.

I don't know if this is related but a number of years ago I tried the +2 Dawson basepad and had trouble with the bottom rounds getting side by side with the follower when enough rounds were  inserted to cause the follower and rounds to get below the ribs on the side of the mag.  I was able to cure the problem by using the Arrendondo base pad insert.

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=AA10&n=Arredondo-Base-Pad-Inserts

Buy something like 10ring suggests or fix it like jcc7x7 says.  Either way buying different springs and followers won't fix your problem, their suggestions will.

Personally, I prefer to really fix the problem like jcc7x7 told you.

Good luck.

Hello: OK you have the old style STI mags there. Use a Grams spring and follower with a Hardy steel spacer or the Shooters Connection steel spacer. That combo will work very well. I have also used a Dawson 9mm follower and a ISMI spring trimmed to fit the follower. Thanks, Eric