Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no love for the P09?

LeviSS

6 hours ago, NWfront said:

I would have picked up a P09 this year if it wasn't for the fact my trigger finger drags on the guard at the very end of it's travel.  I'm curious to see if an original P07 curved trigger would prevent this so I've been scoping out the used sections of my LGS.

Do you mean make contact?  Or the trigger pinches your finger?

My first CZ was a P07 DUTY in .40 S&W, with that curved trigger. 

My second was a P09 9MM with that sort of straight trigger (in the middle) with the little forward curve at the bottom.  I couldn't really tell the difference.

Then I bought a P09 in .40 S&W and that same trigger (as in the 9MM P09) was just pinching/biting my trigger finger enough to make it uncomfortable enough to shoot.

I ordered and installed an old P07 DUTY (curved) trigger in the .40 S&W P09 and never had a trigger issue again.

Yes the bottom of my fingers makes contact as the guard starts to rise up into the grip.  I didn't get pinched the few times I've shot one but just that and dry-firing it a couple times was enough to know it would annoy me. 

8 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

What's worse about the P09 trigger vs the Shadows?  Can't get it as light?  Not as crisp?

P-07/09 triggers can be nice with hammer upgrade, short reset disco, etc...

But they don't come close to how good a Shadow (or any 75) can be. The pre travel isn't as short and reset isn't as short - by a considerable amount.  They can be light. I know of guys with sub 3lb triggers on P-07's/09's. I personally don't find the break to be quite as crisp on the 07/09 vs a CZ 75 with both guns having upgraded hammers.

Edited by PrimaryBruce

Have a P-09 customized by David at Cajun Customs that I like, but it's no Shadow. The grip of the P-09 doesn't feel like the metal frame CZ Shadow.

Based upon some feedback here and elsewhere, David is also making me a P-07 with night sights.

Thanks for "spending my money", guys.

I think I will like it as a potential carry gun. It will be nice to have a smooth DA carry pistol - though I do have a P2000 LEM with the "Todd Lewis Green" springs - heavy trigger return, light firing pin block and I forget which hammer spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very real, but unfortunate, factor is being left out of the conversation so far: The P09 just isn't the "cool" gun to have right now. 

They're great guns that need very little work. If they took 75 mags, I would pick one (or more) up.

• 3 weeks later...

I started with P09 when Carry Optics weight was 35 ounces, but moved to accushadow when weight increased to 45 ounces. In both cases I had a milled slide for red dot and they generally felt great. But

- Even with powderpuff load, the P09 feels more 'snappy' during recoil as a lighter handgun

- Trigger can be lightened, but feels softer/mushier compared to short reset & light/crisp break you can get from CZ75/SP01

I don't think shooting the P09 would hold anyone back, ergonomically it felt great.

But when you shoot them side by side, the above two reasons were the deciding factors for me.

• 3 months later...

I like the P-09 as a range gun. But when the sweat, sunblock and skeeter dope mix, the grip slips around in my hand.

If CZ (and every other polymer gun I've ever seen) was wise, they would put aggressive checkering where the weak hand has to control the grip with friction. Usually that is high on the grip, right where they make it slick.

Do people who actually shoot bullets test these things at all????

If CZ (and every other polymer gun I've ever seen) was wise, they would put aggressive checkering where the weak hand has to control the grip with friction. Usually that is high on the grip, right where they make it slick.

Do people who actually shoot bullets test these things at all????

I *FULLY* agree with your assessment.

I just traded two HK pistols for three CZs - two P-07s and one P-09 to add to my CGW P-07.

They all need stippling and they all could benefit greatly from CZ Custom or CGW internals.

Other than that I love them.

25 minutes ago, Chui said:

I *FULLY* agree with your assessment.

I just traded two HK pistols for three CZs - two P-07s and one P-09 to add to my CGW P-07.

They all need stippling and they all could benefit greatly from CZ Custom or CGW internals.

Other than that I love them.

The guts are easy enough, either do it yourself or pay Cajun to do it.

The Grip is a no-go. You can't modify the polymer frame in Production, IDPA, or GSSF. Every piece of grip tape I ever used peeled off . 

I just can't use a slick grip gun to the best of my ability. 

Edited by aceinyerface

I find it sometimes slippery. It could definitely benefit from stippling and I'm hesitant to send it out for a stippling without feeling an example prior to. I think I'll leave them "slick" and just train and compete with them as is (but with the CGW parts).

I like the P-07 as a carry gun better than the G19, P30 and P2000 pistols.

The P-09 was "an idea" pistol. As in "I don't have a good idea what it will be used for" but I think I'll use it in my next Super Dave class.

After that... who knows. I may shoot it well enough that I run it in IDPA.

I currently shoot a CZ P09 in carry optics. I went with the P09 when CO had a weight limit of 35 ounces. I had the slide milled for a Leupold DDP. I think I put every CGW part in it. My double action trigger pull is just below 7 lbs my single action act trigger pull is right at 2.5 lbs. With the stainless guide rod and 18 lb. recoil spring the gun shoots very flat. It weighs 28.5 ounces (without magazine). Are their better platforms? I'm sure there is. Is this one holding me back? Not at all; in fact I am the weak link right now. I have been shooting this platform since last April and have just north of 9,000 rounds through it. My only problem encountered was an OEM broken trigger return spring at the 6,000 round (live fire) count. I replaced it with a CGW spring and it's been good to go. I put the most aggressive skate tape I could find on the grip and it seems to be holding up very well. 

I guess you can say I am very happy with mine. 

I started with CGW kit 97098 Pro-Grade Upgrade Kit P-07 P-09. I also put CGW's trigger return spring and their stainless guide rod and the 18 pound recoil spring. I also added CGW's extended mag release. These upgrades made a BIG difference. The pistol is easy to shoot and I really like having 23 rounds in my magazines. 

MissionaryMike is right. A CZ P09 trigger can be improved greatly. It won't match a worked over SP01. As far as the reset, it's not as short SP01. But, for me it's not a hinderance at all. I have practiced enough that I don't even notice it.