Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fia

Scooter

Bad tires on not...FIA should have allowed the Michelin shod teams to use the tires flown in from France for the race. :angry:

If it wasn't for the fans whom spend the "long dollar" buying tickets...there would be NO F1 to enjoy. ;)

this coming from a long time Ferrari fan that was desperate for a win...but NOT like this !!! :unsure:

Read the article I posted above. Michelin *WITHDREW* the tires that they flew in from France, because they determined that the new tires were also not safe on the track. There wasn't even a question of whether or not they could use them... (at least, if you believe what you read there....)

Michelin apparently couldn't even get it right on the second try...

Read the article I posted above. Michelin *WITHDREW* the tires that they flew in from France, because they determined that the new tires were also not safe on the track. There wasn't even a question of whether or not they could use them... (at least, if you believe what you read there....)

Michelin apparently couldn't even get it right on the second try...

The "article" you linked to was a FIA press-release, which seems to be pretty self-serving. According to every article and here written on the subject, the FIA refused to allow Michelin to use the "Barcelona" tires that they had flown in from France.

The fact of the matter is that every team (including 2 Bridgestone teams - Minardi and Jordan), with the exception of Ferrari, agreed to run the USGP with a temp chicane, which would have resulted in running the race as a non-championship race without FIA sanctioning.

The failure to reach any kind of compromise and then waiting until the parade lap to drop the bombshell on the fans has probably killed F1 in America. I loved watching F1, but now, FORGET IT! I'll watch the paint dry before I watch another F1 race.

The wing angles, front and rear, could have been mandated to reduce the tire loading in the banked areas of the track. This is allowed within the rules, but I don't know the reasons why it wasn't used.

Nolan

If I was a driver I would have headed Michelin's warning.

If I was a constructor I would have headed Michelin's warning.

If I was FIA I would have enforced the rules.

If I was Ferrari, Minardi, or Jordan I would have (1) not voted for the chicane and (2) would have run. Why should they have chosen to handicap (1) their car's and (2) chances of winning? Those cars were set up and qualified on a course without a chicane before turn 13.

Michelin needs to own up and and admit they messed up. This is a really, really bad case of "all the eggs in one basket."

No one in their right mind would ask anyone, for any reason, to drive on or with unsafe equipment. But to ask others, who did their job, to agree to slow the course so that they can race with inadequate and possibly unsafe equipment is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lastly, I don't buy this bit about Indy and their resurfacing. A track getting resurfaced is nothing new. Michelin didn't solve the problem in time for the race. To ask others to handicap themselves to make up for it is unsportsmanlike.

If I was Ferrari, Minardi, or Jordan I would have (1) not voted for the chicane and (2) would have run.  Why should they have chosen to handicap (1) their car's and (2) chances of winning?  Those cars were set up and qualified on a course without a chicane before turn 13. 

Michelin needs to own up and and admit they messed up.  This is a really, really bad case of "all the eggs in one basket." 

No one in their right mind would ask anyone, for any reason, to drive on or with unsafe equipment.  But to ask others, who did their job, to agree to slow the course so that they can race with inadequate and possibly unsafe equipment is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lastly, I don't buy this bit about Indy and their resurfacing.  A track getting resurfaced is nothing new.  Michelin didn't solve the problem in time for the race.  To ask others to handicap themselves to make up for it is unsportsmanlike.

agree w/big dave 100%. tough luck for the michelin teams, but i feel terrible for the fans. you think IPSC/USPSA have sometimes anal rules, the FIA takes the cake, but they are serious about them. bottom line here, the tire war will be non-existent in '08 anyway...this incident just drove home who the lone supplier will be.

If I was Ferrari, Minardi, or Jordan I would have (1) not voted for the chicane and (2) would have run.  Why should they have chosen to handicap (1) their car's and (2) chances of winning?  Those cars were set up and qualified on a course without a chicane before turn 13. 

Michelin needs to own up and and admit they messed up.  This is a really, really bad case of "all the eggs in one basket." 

No one in their right mind would ask anyone, for any reason, to drive on or with unsafe equipment.  But to ask others, who did their job, to agree to slow the course so that they can race with inadequate and possibly unsafe equipment is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Lastly, I don't buy this bit about Indy and their resurfacing.  A track getting resurfaced is nothing new.  Michelin didn't solve the problem in time for the race.  To ask others to handicap themselves to make up for it is unsportsmanlike.

Ditto! i think Mechilin was caught napping on this one.

I think that those of you bashing Michelin are overlooking 2 small issues:

1) The tire companies (Bridgestone and Michelin) make tires specifically for each track, (most of the time).

2) Indy had recently been repaved, and it was done so poorly that the Firestone (sister company to Bridgestone) tire test for the IRL had to be postponed, as did a Nascar (sic) tire test, until the track was able to grind down the bad spots and fix it.  The repaving/grinding certainly would change the character of the track.  The point is that it is possible that Bridgestone was able to get data from the Firestone IRL test, while Michelin was left using year-old data for a track that had since been changed.

Funny thing is the FIA sent Michelin a letter in early June telling the tire suppliers about the tire tests and to be prepared for the Indy track. Michelin sent back a letter saying that they were prepared. Also the teams could have changed tires every ? laps and raced, the FIA even said OK to that, I think they wanted to show the FIA they had power to start a new series. I think it is the fault of the teams, they could have raced but did not. The michelin teams f****d the fans.

Scott Peterson

The teams could not race because it wasn't safe to do so period, and there would not be enough tire for the teams to change every 5 laps...hmmm 73 laps / 5 X 4 tires X 7 teams = nearly 400 tires

I think the biggest confusion was caused by the fact that the Michelin teams WANTED to race and tried everything they could to make it happen, when in reality they should have just said on Sat. that it was not safe to run on the tires they had and pulled out then. It wasn't a competitive issue or points that made the decision, it was safety.

This is just getting better and better. The World Motor Sports Council said that the FIA should have made the compromise and put in a chicane.

FIA believed that Michelin tires were prone to failure due to poor construction, not only at Indy but else where. They are independantly investigating the issue. AND they might threaten to exclude Michelin from the French GP if they feel the tires are not safe. So we might have another 6 car race this weekend.

Unbelievable.

Well it will be another F1 race that I won't be watching regardless if they race 60 cars or 6.  F1 loss my viewership! 

Nolan

well nolan, there ain't no match in ione tomorrow (we did a s/g match today, so i'll be watching the race. match in maui next sunday though...how cool is that??? :P

match in maui next sunday though...how cool is that??? :P

It's never cool at our range ;) , usually hot and humid.

but the good news is the beach is across the street. believe it or not, I went for a swim between stages at one of our state champs years ago.

Outer Limits looking forward to meeting you.

Ray

well nolan, there ain't no match in ione tomorrow (we did a s/g match today, so i'll be watching the race.  match in maui next sunday though...how cool is that??? :P

About 86 degrees, partly cloudy is about how cool!!! In other words "Can I go too?"

Nolan