Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Cz Pistol For Uspsa Production

ShortEd

I have been using a Glock 35 for USPSA Production......Thinking about trying a CZ. Which model CZ and in what caliber would make a good production class gun, also where would be the best place to order one and who does action work? Thanks,

Ed

:huh:

IMO - the CZ 75 B in 40 SW. A bit heavier on the front end than the 85 Combat model, it eats up the recoil very well.

Actualy, my girlfriend is shooting one of these. I spent about 3 full days on the trigger job for it and I can say that I haven't seen a better CZ DA trigger anywhere. It is pretty much the same as Angus Hobdel trigger job, except that I was able to shorten the double action pull as well. If I used the federal primers, I could install even shorter hammer spring and it would be even lighter, but it is good enough as it is.

The EAA 12 rd magazines and Angus Hobdel sights make this gun an exellent choice for Production Div. What's funny is that mygilfriend seems to show more and more interest to Glocks - probably because they are lighter.

Vlad D

There are multiple suitable models. Until recently the hot model was the 85Combat with sights replaced by those available from Angus, and a trigger job. With the introduction of the SP-01 that may change. However the SP-01 is on the approved list but it is expected to be debated this summer by the IPSC council because some think it stretches the limits. After that point it may or may not be production legal in IPSC and then USPSA will have to decide if it is USPSA legal.

However you can compete just fine with many of the different models. I use a 75B and I dont feel that the gun is holding me back.

On the caliber side, 9mm is still king though a lot of folks shoot .40 minor. That is up to you and how you like recoil to feel.

Good choices for production would be the 75b in 9mm or 40, the 85 combat or the SP01..

if shooting USPSA production..a downloaded .40 is a good option..if shooting IPSC production..you will want to shoot 9mm

for the time being..I have a 75b and a SP01...both have action work, new hammer, sights, springs...

Right now I am shooting the SP01 while it is on the approved list and I like this gun a lot..

it has a lot more mass than the 75b, the grip circumfrence feels better to me than the 75b and it has a nicely beveled magwell..

if it stays on the list..this will be my gun..

post-627-1117656077_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have been using a CZ 85 Combat 9mm for about 2 months. Magazines drop free & comes with adjustable rear sight & no firing pin safety.

My mods:

Wolff 15# hammer spring - dropped SA trigger pull to 4lbs and DA pull to just under 8

CZ fiber optic front sight

Wolff extra power extractor spring

CZ checkered walnut grips

The pistol is absolutely reliable and very accurate. Steel frame absorbs recoil well, frame fits my hand, and shot recovery is very fast.

Hi there,

To just piggy back on to what most others have said including EERW, basically any CZ-75 platform gun will do wonders for you. I currently own a bunch of the guns (2-75B's, SP01, 97B, 75B SA in 9 and a 75B SA in 40) While I really like the SP01 and SA frame much better than the traditional 75B/85 style frame (differnt, beavertail tang, mag release, etc) But, for the money, compared to any production gun out there the stock 75B cannot be beat. All you need is the stock gun, drop in a Wolff 15# mainspring, a recoil spring of your choice (I run a 13# in the 75B's and a 12# in the SP-01) and a set of Angus's sights and you are ready to run with any production gun in any class. Plus hitting reloads in a CZ is all but mindless and the ergonomics at least to my hand cannot be beat. Plus the absolutely best thing about the CZ platform is that they are not GLOCKS!

Go down and handle the different varieties that you are considering. The tangs on each fit my hands differently. The other thing to consider is the safety type. They make a decocker variety and a standard safety. The decocker would be good for Production but with my grip I keep activating it when I don't want to. Also I have a hard time reaching the safety with my stubby little thumbs in case it is inadvertantly activated. The most important thing is ergonomics. If it was another division you could modify the frame to fit your hand, but not in Production. Make sure that it fits and that there are no sharp edges touching that are gonna make you bleed. There are a couple for my hands.

I recently got a CZ-85 Combat specifically for Production following research and love it. I used it to win the third USPSA match I've ever competed in. I recommend the 85 Combat and also "The CZ Connection" as a source for these and other CZ pistols, based on my experience with price, availablity and service. http://pdmall.com/CZC/pistol~1.htm

For smithing, I'm looking at Jim Miossi Gun Works LLC http://miossigunworks.com/on_line_catalog.html, using his hard sear along with other parts (sights, hammer) purchased from Angus Hobdel http://ghostholster.com/cz_home.htm

Matt,

What do you like about the 85 Combat that keeps you with it instead of the SP-01, if you dont mind my asking?

Thanks,

yeah Matt..what???? :D

for me the frame and the trigger of the SP01 fit me better than the 75/85.

between the two..the SP01 is significantly heavier..but still no where near as heavy as a SIG226ST

Stuart and all,

I totally agree about the SP-01 frame being night and day better than the classic 75/85 frame. To me the perfect gun weight and balance wise is the SA series. Beavertail frame, far better ambi safeties and a little more weight but no where near as heavy as the SP-01. Angus keeps saying he wants to get CZ to build the 75B on the SA frame and if he does it will be the gun to get for me (I do have a SP-01 but find the slide cycling speed to be a little distacting, it is hard to describe?) I also love my Angus built 75B but its a little flippy due to the lighter weight. While I usally only get to shoot my SA guns for IDPA I do like them the best :-)

If you go to your gun store, the CZ-75 they will show you will have a DA that will probably not impress you. HOWEVER, the trigger is easily modified with either 10 min. work or a $7 spring & will still set off all 4 major US brands of primer.

Imagine trying a Glock with an 8 lb + NY trigger & concluding all glocks have terrible triggers. That would be a false conclusion. DA/SA CZs are military & police guns & are sent from the factory to set off all primers - no matter how hard they are.

If you buy a 15 lb hammer spring from Wolf or cut 2 coils from the stock hammer spring, your 75 should have a lighter DA than the normal Glock (which is advertised as a stock 5 lbs but is actually heavier - just as the 3.5 connector is more than 3.5 lbs).

With a little work by Matt or Angus, the CZ is capable of a trigger nearly as good as the Glock Vanek for the 1st shot & very much like a 1911 for every shot there after.

D.C. Johnson

I began in production with a pair of worked Para LDA 18.9's, tried (and still own for GSSF purposes) a Glock 35 and then fell in love with CZ's. I had competed in Limited with a slightly modified CZ ST IPSC (which is in my opinion the best Limited Gun your money can buy - It always ends up in my gun bag when I shoot Limited before my STI Edge or Para P-16 ever get a chance to leave my safe). I own two 9mm twin 85 Combats that Angus built for me and wouldnt shoot anything else in production (uspsa). For me, it all came down to a weak hand/strong hand virginia classifier that I had never conquered without a mike or a NS. I have shot it twice since the first time I cleaned it in decent time with all the holes where they were supposed to be. Go CZ, you'll never go back - and make sure you have Angus or Matt or one of the top CZ guys do your work.

• 10 months later...

ok, can I convert a 75 SA to an 85 combat? I want the frame of the SA, but all the bells and whistles of the 85 combat to compete in production. No firing pin block, drop-free, extended mag release, ambi safeties, blah blah.

Thanks,

jma

ok, can I convert a 75 SA to an 85 combat? I want the frame of the SA, but all the bells and whistles of the 85 combat to compete in production. No firing pin block, drop-free, extended mag release, ambi safeties, blah blah.

Thanks,

jma

Good question.

Also, could you just

convert a 75 SA to DA/SA?