Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight loss

Mpikomy

So my Dad has a zev glock 34. He has gone through 3 front sights as of today, the screws keep shearing off. Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions? They haven't been over torqued, so that's not the problem. 4b1a8209e97d17f406513756f2a163b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My limited gun snaps front sights like crazy. It just been sitting in the safe for a while with a broken sight because I'm sick of messing with it. I had a thought the other day though. I have lightening cuts in the slide and I'm thinking it's causing enough flex to gradually break the sight. I'm going to order another and relieve a lot of the bottom of the sight and see if that helps. Being a ZEV slide made me think of it if it's got the cuts. Anyone know if my solution is probable? Or ever heard of this before?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, mreed911 said:

What's he catching it on?  Perhaps his holster sight channel has an obstruction?  If he's shooting it is he catching it on a port?  Is the end of the barrel protected by the end of the holster?

This. While a lightened slide may be more violent I would guess the issue is contact while firing the gun. 

He isn't snagging it on anything, not even drawing from a holster. Case to shooting line and it flies off while he is shooting.
It does have the slide cuts and that was my first thought, maybe too much momentum from the lighter slide but that seems like something the manufacturer should design for.
I'll tell him to try loctite and just snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, steven785 said:

I always go red now as I've had too many front sights come loose with blue.

Since the problem was screw breaking I guessed it was being over tightened. Blue should show if loctite at least fixes the problem before going full on red

I've never had this happen and I've used all kinds of sights over the years using whatever screw they supplied and loctite.

Sounds like it could have been over torqued. Another possibility is using too much loctite. I've never seen this happen myself, but I've heard if you use too much loctite when it hardens and expands it can break a little screw like these. You only need a dab of loctite, don't have to dunk the whole screw in it.

And I use red loctite on front sight screws now too after having one come loose with blue.

I've switched all our locals over from blue loctite to red.

Everyone who used blue eventually had the front post come loose. Red holds.

Heat and vibration are the two ways you break down loctite. The muzzle end of a slide sees plenty of both.

Degrease the threads and front of slide with brake cleaner before install. Barely torque the screw. Use red. Don't shoot it for 24 hours after installation. No more problems.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Problem with red is you're never getting it back off without heat. Not a problem for plain black or fiber optic fronts, but it doesn't take much heat AT ALL to ruin tritium sights.

We constantly get customer Glock slides with so much blue or red loctite gooped in the threads that one of two things happen:

1. We have to heat it to get the screw loose which ruins the tritium insert

2. We don't use heat and the head of the bolt shears off when we try to loosen and the sight is still ruined because it's just about impossible to get the now broken bolt out 

Edited by PrimaryBruce