Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited pro?

MP9

Hi all.

I currently have a SP01 Shadow which has worked fine and I like it, can't complain. I use it for USPSA and IDPA. I have seen some tanfoglios (stock 2 and LimPro) and I'm liking it, are pretty guns.. so I have been thinking on  getting the Limited pro as that can be used for both games.   I have read the stock ii and shadow are similar in recoil, however I dont know how the cz sp01 shadow compare to the lim pro with the short dust cover and long slide.. I know this matter is subjective but wanted to hear your personal experience/opinions.. 

Regarding the trigger work, #1, 2 and #3 polish, then hammer/recoil/trigger spring..  what trigger pull could I get with that? or also do I need extended firing pin, sear, hammer?

Thanks

You can get a very smooth 6-7 pound pull with springs and polish, but if you want a trigger like CZ Custom, Mink, or CGW puts into a CZ?

Then you'll need to invest in the full line of parts - titan hammer and the BOLO from Patriot. That said, the Lim Pro does come with the good sear we install into our Stock IIs and IIIs, so that's one less thing you'll need to buy if you want to tweak the hell out of your gun.

If all you're after is a good smooth trigger that you can run hard at around 6 & 3 on trigger weights, no need to spend all the $$$ on widgets. It'll win matches just fine like that.

Its the "I need zero pretravel!"  and "lowest pull possible!" group that ends up upgrading everything in the gun. I have all of it in my gun, and probably wouldn't have, if I were to do it all over again. 

It just depends on what you're after.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Having shot the CZ, Lim Pro, Stock II, and Stock III it's my opinion that the Stock III has the least felt recoil but is hardest to transition quickly. The Lim Pro to me is the best mix of sight radius, weight, trigger, and balance. I sometimes wish I had went with the Lim Pro over my Stock II's. I really feel the weight on transitions and shooting 9mm doesn't require as much weight to suck up recoil.

Edited by Twinkie

I've got a AA shadow and a shadow orange. 

I bought a Lim Pro for the same reasons as you. 

I've  replaced everything in it. It's sweet.

The Lim Pro recoils less than either of my Shadows. They weigh almost the exact same. Both just under 43 oz.  Barely. I think it's because the LP has weight out further and more rail/slide to ride inside of the frame.   

The trigger aspects have already been explained by Memphis. 

I really like the LP.  

Still not sure it'll replace the CZ but it's sweet!

Edited by B_RAD

I have s2's my son has a  lim pro. I think the LP is slightly easier to shoot. 

But not by much.

We just shot Ethan's  new LP today (the young man I've  been helping). It's really nice with just a polish and PD springs... and was 100% reliable (pd14 hammer spring). Shooting winchester white  box and Ethan's reload ladder.

Edited by johnbu

Thanks for the input.

I'm not crazy about the trigger, 6-7 (5 better) for DA and 3 SA is fine for me.  will start doing the full math now.. 

I would like other grips than wood but that still make weight.. which one do u recommend? there are some blue/red from EG I think but those dont make weight, and  I saw some others thinners that looks lighter from henning.. what other options could I look for?

thanks

16 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Having shot the CZ, Lim Pro, Stock II, and Stock III it's my opinion that the Stock III has the least felt recoil but is hardest to transition quickly. The Lim Pro to me is the best mix of sight radius, weight, trigger, and balance. I sometimes wish I had went with the Lim Pro over my Stock II's. I really feel the weight on transitions and shooting 9mm doesn't require as much weight to suck up recoil.

I thought you started with a Lim Pro? Or am I thinking of someone else?

MP9 - The trigger weights can go that low but it takes the full compliment of parts ~$250 and half a days worth of polishing.  

Regarding grips, I've got SSI Scales on my S2 now, but they are tearing up my hands, got some Henning grips on order. There are Lava Rock from Copper Gun Grips that mimic the wood while being light along with cheap $34. There is always the option to sand down the factory wood grips then cover with either skate tape or glue & grit.

58 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Regarding grips, I've got SSI Scales on my S2 now, but they are tearing up my hands, got some Henning grips on order.

She had an LP up for sale recently. I assume it was sold to fund a Stock 2.

On the grips?

I'm going the other way. Since the hennings are nearly as thin as the EGD grips and lack a lefty mag release cutout, I'm selling mine and switching to a pair of scale 2.0s that @B_RAD sent me.

I love the width down low (.200" wider than Hennings) and their extreme thinness up top in order to reach the mag catch.

Contrary to your preferences, I'm going to have to checker them in order to get enough traction.

Here and here, I'm going to try my hand at checkering them myself. The "spikes" in the middle are great, but the front and rear edges of the grips need more bite.

IMG_0180.JPG

It's not a slick issue. It's the funky blistering & pinching of my strong hand middle & ring finger which are smashed into the holes. The hennings are smooth that will get skate tape. If that doesn't work, then F' it, the stock woods will go back on

19 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I really like the LP.  

Still not sure it'll replace the CZ but it's sweet!

I know what you mean.  Both you and I need more time behind our Tanfo's.  But they'll have to end up being something special to replace the Shadow.  Didn't know you had an orange Shadow.  How's that lock up?

18 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

I know what you mean.  Both you and I need more time behind our Tanfo's.  But they'll have to end up being something special to replace the Shadow.  Didn't know you had an orange Shadow.  How's that lock up?

I honestly can't tell a difference between it and the other shadow.  

Doesnt feel any tighter fit in the frame/slide, barrel/slide or slide stop/barrel link areas.  

It does have a shorter reset. I put the short reset disco in the orange and it's reset is shorter than the shadow with the same stuff.  I don't know if it's because the orange supposedly has different fire controls?  The whole description they gave for the orange was vague.  So I don't know. 

Im gonna give the Tanfo a couple more weeks of testing. If it's not good to go, I'll be dumping it and going with the CZ. Can't spend too much more time testing a new gun. Need to be practicing with my gun that'll I'll be shoooting.  Not working out bugs/ testing a new platform. 

Edited by B_RAD

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

I honestly can't tell a difference between it and the other shadow.  

Doesnt feel any tighter fit in the frame/slide, barrel/slide or slide stop/barrel link areas.  

It does have a shorter reset. I put the short reset disco in the orange and it's reset is shorter than the shadow with the same stuff.  I don't know if it's because the orange supposedly has different fire controls?  The whole description they gave for the orange was vague.  So I don't know. 

Im gonna give the Tanfo a couple more weeks of testing. If it's not good to go, I'll be dumping it and going with the CZ. Can't spend too much more time testing a new gun. Need to be practicing with my gun that'll I'll be shoooting.  Not working out bugs/ testing a new platform. 

Same here.  I'm going to chop up my Henning Contours and see if I can't get this thing to feel better in my hands.

4 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I'm probably gonna try the lava rocks.  I like the wide stock grip width.  I thought the scales were slippery.  

I've got two pairs of them. One on my S2 and Lim pro. Only issue I've had with them is they like to flex, so if you tighten your screws down all the way they will flex into the magazine channel and keep  your magazine from dropping free. 

As promised. They aren't pretty, but the added grip in just the right places is a big change. I spent a lot of time fingering the gun to figure out exactly where it needed more traction.

This won't win any beauty contests, but I couldn't care less. They'll get media blasted and cerakoted flat black when I do the slide & frame in stainless, anyway.

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

14 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

I did. It never ran right because of some bad work by a famous gunsmith. So it was always bitter in my mouth. I sold it to Mr Postman who said he would build an Open gun on it and want put off by the disclosed mechanical issues. 

I love my Stock 2s but honestly I missed the sight radius and balance of the Lim Pro. If I could switch for Lim Pros and have exactly the same triggers I have in my Stock 2s I would. The sight radius makes a world of difference to me. 

On the scale grips, my advice to everyone is to cover them in grip tape. Tuck the tape under the rear of the grips between the grips and frame so it doesn't come off. The contour is good on the scales but Nathan would never listen to me and get rid of the stupid waffles. Some like them, but how hard would it have been to just make them solid and smooth or textured for the people who want that?

Anyhow, I'm loving my Henning grips on my new Limited. Highly aggressive checkering and fantastic fit. 

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

As promised. They aren't pretty, but the added grip in just the right places is a big change. I spent a lot of time fingering the gun to figure out exactly where it needed more traction.

This won't win any beauty contests, but I couldn't care less. They'll get media blasted and cerakoted flat black when I do the slide & frame in stainless, anyway.

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0195.JPG

Good work there, Memphis.  What did you use, a file?

21 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

It's not a slick issue. It's the funky blistering & pinching of my strong hand middle & ring finger which are smashed into the holes. The hennings are smooth that will get skate tape. If that doesn't work, then F' it, the stock woods will go back on

I've got a callus on my SH ring finger from this.  When I first started with the gun it would get sore so I'd wrap it with duct tape.  Doesn't bother me anymore.

Better than drunk monkeys wielding rough rocks!

47 minutes ago, v1911 said:

Yes. A file held by an angry drunk chimp.

I couldn't do any better but work like that makes real smiths wince. 

(Which is what some firing pin channels look like)

So I ended up grinding down my Henning Contours and cutting some grip tape up and over them.  SOOOOO much better.  I'm finally getting the solid purchase on this large frame that I was looking for.  I guess the contours don't offer me enough grip.  I guess I can commit to a more permanent solution.  Silicon carbide, here I come!

@MemphisMechanic, I guess you prefer the Scales over the silicon carbide job you did on your other grips?

25 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

@MemphisMechanic, I guess you prefer the Scales over the silicon carbide job you did on your other grips?

I prefer the silicon carbide grips. 

But even though I ground a thumb notch in them very similar to the Henning's, I couldn't reach the magazine release without flipping the gun. I've never had to do that, so it really hurt my reloads. I'd sell them to someone who has really big hands in a heartbeat - someone with 1/8" more thumb would love them!

(I wear a size L nitrile glove at work, for reference)

Do the silicon carbide. But here's what I'd do if your hands aren't huge:

A dremel with a sanding drum carves the factory grips up FAST. It won't take long, just a couple minutes per side:

Similar to the scales, make a series of grooves across and down the grips that are all 1/8" deep. Just to serve as a depth guide. Now go square by square and sand the entire grip panel down to match that 1/8" because the silicon carbide and epoxy will add much more thickness than you expect. 

Be really aggressive in flattening down the upper portion, similar to the scales, but leaving a palm swell.

Then do your SC treatment.