Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SA Loaded or STI Trojan 9mm

aandabooks

Found where I can get a SA Loaded for a bit under $1k and add all the goodies to get is USPSA ready or buy a CRP Trojan 9mm for $1299 that is basically ready to go.  The Loaded is already stainless but I'd have to go to $1499 to get stainless for the STI.  Which one would should I go for?  I've had SA 1911s in the past but never a STI.

I have had both and in my opinion the Springfields have always been nicer guns in fit, finish and reliability. I have never had to deal with Springfield for warranty issues since nothing has ever broken on them, but I have had to deal with STI and they are not easy to deal with when it comes to warranty issues and backlogs.

2 hours ago, scottlep said:

STI and they are not easy to deal with when it comes to warranty issues and backlogs.

This is the opposite of my experience with STI. I had a barrel/link issue and sent an email about it. I got a phone call within a couple hours and got it completely taken care of in 2-3 weeks.

Personally, I'd skip the loaded and get a Springfield RO. RO>Trojan>Loaded. FWIW I own a Trojan 

I had a RO 9mm awhile back and sold it to a member here.  I don't remember it being better than any of the Loaded .45s I've owned.  All those were before I got so heavily into USPSA.  

I have 4 1911s now and none of them are stainless.  I think it is time for something stainless.  I'll have to look at the RO options again.

I have both the SA Loaded Target and a 9mm RO. Used a Nowlin sear and STI hammer for the trigger work on both of them. Both run flawless and I've never had any issues.

However I wish the front straps were checkered, that the RO had front slide serrations, and that the thumb safeties were angled instead of flat & sharp. All those things can be added/changed, but the Trojan already has them. 

So does the Para Pro Comp though, and it's roughly $1,100 when you can find one. I shoot the .40 in SSTK.

Edited by resortboarder

None of the above. Find a Dan Wesson Pointman 9. I will never sell mine. I have owned or own: STI Trojan, Springfield Loaded, Colt, Kimber, Para Pro Comp. The DW PM9 has the best fit & finish, best internals, best accuracy of any 1911 I've owned. 

I gotta agree with OpenB. I own a Trojan and an RO both in 9mm.  And for the money you can't beat a PM9. Fit, finish, trigger, etc, are outstanding. You pay a little more but worth it.

I would go with a Sig Traditional Match Elite.  Replace front sight with FO, remove series 80 trash and install gap filler plate, install a 17-19lbs mainspring, polish hammer hooks and sear nose with 2000 grit paper, add S&A magwell.  Beautiful race ready SS gun with excellent fit and great trigger for $1130 or so.

I don't have much experience with the SA or DW 1911s mentioned in this post previously, but I did recently get a CRP Trojan in 9mm from Dawson Precision here just a few months ago. Coupled with Dawson's mags the thing has run like a top. Not a bad way to go if that was what you decided on.

Handle the Springfield first. Mine rattled like a baby toy.

That said, for the prices you stated, you can upgrade the Springfield internals to good stuff and still be cheaper than the STI.

But as stated, the Dan Wesson reputation is impressive. Or a Sig Max, already with top shelf internals, front strap checkering and a good coating. Just gotta get used to that funky slide.