Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland Vs. Cr Speed

para1445

I was wondering. I currently use a para p1445 in limited division and was looking at getting the safariland 012 holster (for inthe future i can also use it for a open gun) but the duty belts that fit my waist are like way bigger than the opening for the holster. Where should i go or should i just get a crspeed holster? whish do you reccomend out of the 2?

Both are quality holsters and either one will do fantastic for you.

I personally use the 012. I have two. One for my SV and the other for a 1911. Both are solid and secure. Very adjustable.

I currently have the old Safariland model 008 for my Limited Para and the 010 for my Open Para. Both work well, hold the gun secure, yet are fast.

However, when I replace them, I will be going with the CR Speed. I just like the way it adjusts, rides, and looks better than the 012. I switched to the CR Speed belt too as the Safariland belt doesn't hold the Para mags as stable.

but the duty belts that fit my waist are like way bigger than the opening for the holster.  Where should i go or should i just get a crspeed holster?

What belt are you using? Get a 2-piece belt from CR or Safariland. I prefer the CR belt as it is stiffer, and has the "hook" side if the velcro on the outer belt.

I have and use both holsters you mentioned (actually, mine's an 011, but uses the same locking mechanism as the 012). The 011 releases the gun little easier, but does not have a manual lock. I end up using a strap on the Safariland holster when I'm not actually shooting.

Both are almost identical except the cr speed have the locking system. If there's a holster retention test then cr is the way to go. You might consider ghost holster, guga ribas or speedsec. Before, I had bianchi hemisphere, safari 011 and now ghost.

Para1445: I have heard a lot of people tell me that they really like the CR mag pouches. I personally don't much care for the set that I have. They came with a gun that I bought used. I don't know if the mag pouches are an older model or not. I prefer the Safariland mag holders.

achard: I tried both the Limcat and the Ghost (older "pinned" style) with my Para framed guns. Both of these holsters seem to work great if you have a gun with a plastic trigger guard (STI/SV/Glock). However, they like to grab and not let go of a steel framed gun unless you pull it out just right. I don't know if the newer pinless Ghost does any better or not. I finally went with the CR and have never looked back.

I sold the Limcat a while back, but still have the Ghost. I'm debating if I should sell it, or have it milled out bigger to work with a Glock.

Garrett,

I used para before and currently using entreprise frame with safariland holster. I had also tried my entreprise with my new pinless ghost holster for a month and so far I don't have any problem. Maybe because I'm use to one motion draw.

Currently I kept my ghost holster in a drawer but will use it once my new gun is completed.

Sometime back I was talking with a group of people who just finished a class from a professional shooter. Although the Pro uses a Safariland he recommended the CR Speed (dunno why). I got a CR Speed based on this beer induced conversation and I also have an older Safariland. Can't really tell a difference in the draw, but the CR is more secure when doing other duties (tape, brass & etc). My son uses a CR as well and he is more "in tune" with his equipment than me. He tried the Safariland & Lim Cat, but prefers the CR.

This is almost like the "which is better.......Chevy or Ford?" question.........but then again we all know the answer to this already..........

I used para before and currently using entreprise frame with safariland holster.  I had also tried my entreprise with my new pinless ghost holster for a month and  so far I don't have any problem. Maybe because I'm use to one motion draw. 

I don't have any experience with the newer pinless Ghost. However, after trying a bunch of other holsters, I ended up liking the CR, and have stuck with it. I'm now at the point where it aint broke, so I ain't going to fix it. B)

• 1 month later...

area 4 director, master class shooter in open, limited and limited 10, kenneth hicks and his son jake swear that the CR speed is slower than the safariland 012.

3 out of the 4 masters in open were using the same 012 holsters.

not to mention that 012 is used by the following.

Leatham,

Jarrett

Voight.

Koenig

if max michel jr used them, i would say there would be something going here...

my $ goes for safariland.

I was hell-bent on getting a CR....right up until I compared it side by side to the Safariland. The Safariland belt is of MUCH better quality than the CR belt. Absolutely no comparison between the two. You'll burn through two or three CR belts for every Safariland.

area 4 director, master class shooter in open, limited and limited 10, kenneth hicks and his son jake swear that the CR speed is slower than the safariland 012.

3 out of the 4 masters in open were using the same 012 holsters.

not to mention that 012 is used by the following.

Leatham,

Jarrett

Voight.

Koenig

if max michel jr used them, i would say there would be something going here...

my $ goes for safariland.

Don't Max and Eric run the CR? I'm guessing they wouldn't if it was a disadvantage.

Sponsorship has a lot to do with who uses what, but performance trumps that.

Hold a Safariland and a CR side by side and compare the quality of construction. Take special note of how the velcro on the CR is...er...is *not* attached to the belt. I was talking to a vendor of CR and Safariland belts. He's dumping Safariland for one simple reason: he gets to sell more CR belts.

I mean no disrespect to any of CR's sponsored shooters, but I don't have unlimited funds to replace broken/worn out gear every year. I'm guessing most other shooters don't either. I'm in and out of my outer belt probably 4 to 5X a day. No way the CR's going to hold up to that.

Not trying to start a holy war, but them's the facts.