Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First aid kit

rustychev

So who here carries a first aid kit that has more than a few band aids in it?

Of all the clubs I have been to I have never seen a first aid kit that would cover a bad cut much less a gunshot wound and the most of the ones I see are picked clean.

I carry something close to this with a few things changed here and there.  The exact one I carry is no longer sold

.http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01424/AD-EPMKPER/-Adventurer-Kit

I also carry this on my outer belt when on the range even if I'm just ROing.

http://darkangelmedical.com/d-a-r-k-trauma-kit/

I have used the stuff out of my range bag more than once on cuts and similar things.  Never needed the stuff on my belt and hope it stays that way but the truth is most ranges are not close to help so I try to plan ahead.

My matches had a first aid kit that would do more than cover a bad cut. We also have a defib machine in the club house. And, we generally had an EMT or somebody in the business shooting matches that we all knew. I have no idea what other matches have or had. 

I would imagine its like anything else. Probably way under prepared in most cases.

On 12/26/2016 at 8:57 PM, OPENB said:

I carry a "blow out" kit in my range bag. Tourniquet, Quick clot, compression bandages, chest seal, trauma scissors, gauze. Never needed it, but it's there if I do. 

I like to carry a very lightweight minimal messenger bag as a gun bag at the range, the full size emergency and everything bag stays in the car. But, the above is exactly what I keep  with me all the time in the range bag.

A few years ago I arranged with one of our shooters who was an EMT with the Fire Department to give our club members the Red Cross basic class. After that he gave us a 5 hour class on handling gun shots. Very hands on at the station working with the dolls and equipment at his Fire House. He is now head of a Fire Department

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small gunshot wound/blowout kit that isn't super expensive? Most of the ones I've seen seem really over priced when compared to the cost of the individual items included in them, but it would be nice to just buy a kit rather than look around for each piece separately and then trying to find the smallest bag everything will fit in.

Currently I just have some band aids in my range bag, and I've had to use them before :blush:

I carry a kit to matches. Got a buddy that does too, but we don't always shoot at the same places. Had to use it once but not at a match. Got blood all over everything so I'm in the process of making another one. Turns out arterial bleeds get messy, and I'm not quite sure if things stay sterile when the paper packaging gets blood on it. Also if I can just wash everything off, like the TQ (unused) and wrap it all back up and call it a day, or if I should just buy new.

I did a bit of research and went and got everything off of Amazon, besides the bag itself which I sourced from Meijer. Gloves I also had on hand. Then on top of the trauma kit, I have a first aid kit that gets attached to it with ho-hum stuff, band-aids and eye drops and whatever for scrapes and cuts.

I'd replace it if you get blood on it/use it. The tourniquet is designed as single use. Once it is tightened enough to stop a bleed, it can't be be reliably used again, or so we were taught. If other items get contaminated with blood, treat yourself to fresh stuff. 

On 12/28/2016 at 9:22 PM, OPENB said:

I'd replace it if you get blood on it/use it. The tourniquet is designed as single use. Once it is tightened enough to stop a bleed, it can't be be reliably used again, or so we were taught. If other items get contaminated with blood, treat yourself to fresh stuff. 

Everyone says that, but the TQ is unused. There was just so much blood that it got over everything. I only used the shears and a compression wrap bandage. LOL and the hospital asked if we wanted the compression bandage back afterwards. O_o

Maybe soap and water or peroxide or something could save me $30. Or maybe I can use it for training and just buy a new one.

On 12/26/2016 at 8:57 PM, OPENB said:

I carry a "blow out" kit in my range bag. Tourniquet, Quick clot, compression bandages, chest seal, trauma scissors, gauze. Never needed it, but it's there if I do. 

^ Exactly this, plus a tape roll.

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, Southpaw said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small gunshot wound/blowout kit that isn't super expensive? Most of the ones I've seen seem really over priced when compared to the cost of the individual items included in them, but it would be nice to just buy a kit rather than look around for each piece separately and then trying to find the smallest bag everything will fit in.

Currently I just have some band aids in my range bag, and I've had to use them before :blush:

This is what I carry.  One in the range bag, one in the car, one in the camelbak. Its simple, cheap, and versatile. 

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/patrol-officers-pocket-trauma-kit/