Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disassemble or sell reloads

LegionShooter

I have a few hundred rounds of .40 loaded for my 2011, but I've sold the 2011.  The reloads are too long for a Glock.  For anyone that's been in this situation did you just download the ammo and reuse the bullets and powder, or try to sell the ammo as-is?  

If I knew the powder charge, bullet weight and primer combination was OK in my Glock... I would take 10 of them to the reloader and push back the bullet until it is of the length that will fit in the Glock.

Clean up the crimp or outside of the case with the dies (if I had to).

Take said bullets and fire them through the Glock and see what it does.

If they seem to be OK I'd just repeat with what I did with the initial 10.

If you are worried about it you can take out the priming station's punch.

And of course if I knew that the powder charge and bullet combination was iffy with my Glock I wouldn't do this at all.

If you want to live forever... pull them.

12 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

I would take 10 of them and push back the bullet until it is of the length that will fit in the Glock.

Take said bullets and fire them through the Glock and see what it does.

^^^^^    Sounds like what I'd do, if they were mine    ^^^^^^^^    :) 

Well if you break them down... you basically reloaded them first... took them apart... then will reload them again?

And what tools do you have on hand to take the bullets apart?  I think it would be a huge pain in the butt if all you had was a hammer bullet puller.  Even if you had a die bullet puller that would be hassle to break down 100's of reloads.

Compare the labor with that vs. just pushing them back to a working COAL and taper crimping them again.  The latter is basically only one stroke of the handle for each one.

And if there's going to be a accuracy problem due to the initial crimp... is the accuracy going to be any better when you pull the bullets... do something with the powder... and then reload them again to the proper length?  

We are talking about plinking, practice, local USPSA match ammo right?

23 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I'd pull them.  Btw, selling reloads without a type 6 FFL is a federal offense...

I was going to bring that up in another recent thread where someone was talking about possibly reloading for a friend.

As I understand it, selling ammo that was reloaded on a progressive press is considered "automated" and falls under ITAR regulation.

Is that correct?

On 12/22/2016 at 2:12 PM, Religious Shooter said:

Well if you break them down... you basically reloaded them first... took them apart... then will reload them again?

And what tools do you have on hand to take the bullets apart?  I think it would be a huge pain in the butt if all you had was a hammer bullet puller.  Even if you had a die bullet puller that would be hassle to break down 100's of reloads.

Compare the labor with that vs. just pushing them back to a working COAL and taper crimping them again.  The latter is basically only one stroke of the handle for each one.

And if there's going to be a accuracy problem due to the initial crimp... is the accuracy going to be any better when you pull the bullets... do something with the powder... and then reload them again to the proper length?  

We are talking about plinking, practice, local USPSA match ammo right?

Yep, this is practice ammo.  It's all at major PF (right at 170) so I was iffy about setting the bullet back any to make OAL for a Glock mag, but I'll do some math and see.  I certainly wanted to avoid the bullet puller (hammer style) for a few hundred rounds.  

On 12/22/2016 at 8:37 PM, TDA said:

I was going to bring that up in another recent thread where someone was talking about possibly reloading for a friend.

As I understand it, selling ammo that was reloaded on a progressive press is considered "automated" and falls under ITAR regulation.

Is that correct?

I'm not sure how ITAR applies to a small ammunition company or an 06 that reloads in their garage.  It may, but I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of it for ammo as compared to arms manufacturing.  Although I don't see how a progressive or manual press would be different as you still have to pull the handle.  Automated, to me, means I flip the power switch and the machines do the rest.

Over the years I've gone back and forth between platforms; another option is to store them inside for a rainy day. Maybe you'll go back to 2011, or you'll want to try single stack, or a buddy will need some ammo because his press is broken, or or or.....

On 12/21/2016 at 9:25 PM, GrumpyOne said:

I'd pull them.  Btw, selling reloads without a type 6 FFL is a federal offense...

Not to start a lengthy discourse on the topic, but I see folks claiming this all too frequently.  Selling ammunition that you manufacture/reload requires an 06 FFL only if you are doing it for the purpose of livelihood and profit (i.e., doing it as a business).

18 USC 44

(21) The term "engaged in the business" means—

(B) as applied to a manufacturer of ammunition, a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing ammunition as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the ammunition manufactured;

It's the same with firearms.  You're allowed to sell off guns from your collection on an occasional basis so long as you're not doing it as a business.  Otherwise you would need a 01 FFL to sell any of your guns.

I'm not saying it's a good idea to sell reloads due to the liability concerns, but done on an infrequent, not for profit basis, it's most definitely not a felony.

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I'll bet the the federal governments definition of "livelyhood and profit" will be different than yours. And I never said it was a felony,  only that it was a federal offense. 

I guess I translated there.  Operating without an FFL is punishable by up to 5 years in prison, so that would be a felony crime.

Is that correct?

If your not charging your friend for making said ammo only components (no profit or labor), or the friend is supplying components. Would that still be illegal?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day...Teach him to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime.

I reload in rifle Canada, don't have enough room to reload pistol in USA. Nor do I have an extra 1000$ for a dillion 650. Spent that on the gun.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm kind of in the same situation with a bunch of .40 ammo I won't use. I have been shooting Open 9mm wih 2011 pistols and no desire to shoot Limited with a glock. My solution isn't free, but bought a barrel and bolt and built a .40 cal carbine upper. Figure it will good for multigun practice if nothing else. The barrel is very accurate, which make it interesting.