Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super X 2 practicle shotguns

hgr2

I would like to know how many 3gunners shoot them, and is the reliability really a problem or just an isolated problem that is related to ammo. I find it hard to believe winchester could sell so many of these guns if they won't run.

Mine has run fine with Winchester high-brass 7's, but during a slug course of fire (using Rem. 1oz reduced recoil slugs) it tried to double feed.  One round all the way out of the tube and the second halfway out, locking up the carrier until I sacrificed my thumbnail pushing that errant round back into the tube.

I hate bleeding on my guns.

Took the shotgun to the range last night with lots of that high-brass 7, Win standard 1oz slugs, Win max dram 00 buck, Federal reduced recoil 00 buck, and more of the Remington reduced recoil slugs.

Ran two tubes full of each, with my usual dismal .15 shotgun splits.  Ran four tubes of random ammo (mixed handfuls of the five types), no problems at all.

Talked to Winchester on the phone, of course they say that they have never had anyone tell them about any problems.

I'll keep running it, as it shoulders fast, tracks well, and shoots fast...but will post  here if it does it again.

Alex

If you use the search function you will find that I have posted several comments concerning this shotgun.  The ammo I use: 3 1/4 dram, 7 shot (I believe) and I use Winchester Tactical Slugs which always work.  I had a friend whose X2 never worked.  He sent it back to Winchester, they said it was fixed, and it never ran.  He sold it and bought a Benelli.  I have not had much trouble, but now that I said that.........  If you have specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Thanks for the replies guys, I recently purchased this SX2 in colorado on my way back to Texas. When I got south of Planeview Tx. I found a huge cotten field to test it in. With 3 1/4-1 1/8 ww's it ran  like a sewing machine going wide open. Reduced power slugs and 1 1/4 #6 I haven't had any problem at all. Sence then it has run app. 100rds w/no malfunctions of any kind, do you think this will continue.

Sterling,

I thought I was going to be up there a while back, but right now there's a possibility I'll be up there around the 3rd week in Feb., I let Mig know. When you get a chance send me an email with your address and I catch up with you. As far as the X2 goes, I don't know what to tell you. I'm a Benelli man:)

Sterling,

I thought I was going to be up there a while back, but right now there's a possibility I'll be up there around the 3rd week in Feb., I let Mig know. When you get a chance send me an email with your address and I catch up with you. As far as the X2 goes, I don't know what to tell you. I'm a Benelli man:)

I have been using a X2 for one season now and have been happy with it. Their are two weak springs that cause problem's though. Pat Kelley was kind enough to identify and repair the problem. The carrier lift spring is weak causing a failure to feed usually during a transition from light to heavy loads. The shell stop spring also can let it double feed. My X2 did not do this but Pat replaced it anyway. Once these springs were replaced I am well past the 1000 round count with no problems.

I'm still working on my 1st k . This weekend I shot 6 or 7 boxes of slugs & several boxes of birdshot it runs great. That said, it would be nice to have access to those souped up springs just in case. Where could I locate them?

HGR2

I have about 1700 give or take rounds thru mine.  All brands.  When the gun was new I experienced the double feed problem.  We solved this by replacing the shell stop/bolt release spring with a heavier one (added about three pounds) and have not had any problems since.  Rem reduced recoil slugs feed out great.  This spring did add noticeable pressure when loading.  You have to push the shell in with more force to get it past the shell stop,  However, it does not create any problems and does not slow you down.  Pat Kelly came up with the carrier spring up-grade and would be the one to comment on that.  ESE will have the shell stop springs in about three weeks.  I'll have some with me when I go to different matches as well.  Stay with the SX2, you'll be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

on HGR2's gun , it started double feeding & stove piping w/ low recoil slug's. It now runs so good he can't stand iy.here is what we did.  replace mainspring w/ rem. standard field.  stronger mag. spring, stronger shell stop spring & stronger carrier spring. Everything run's perfect.  We gave it a long workout this week. The gun's ready for S.M. 3-gun, only if he was.

• 1 month later...

Acqired a SuperX-2 about 18 months ago. The gun functions flawlessly with 11/8 ounce or heavier loads,

typically 3-31/4 drams, any ammo manufacturer, shot size 5 thru 8. Loads lighter than 11/8 ounce do not

cycle reliably. Winchester recommends 11/4 ounce, or heavier in the owner's manual.

This is the best shooting, softest handling, shortest split time shotgun for Limited class I have ever used,

dating back to 1992.

Ron Sparks

Mine is still not running 100% in matches, I think the timer beep scares it into double feeding. Recently I installed a smaller spring inside the factory shell latch spring, increasing the rate by +- 30% hope this will increase reliability. also installed a new shell latch, it is a lot more square against the shell rim than the one that came in it. I sure would like to talk to someone who has cured this problem. Any help would be welcome, ain't giving up yet.

I think the answer for the SX2 has something to do with Shiner Bach, now if we can figure out if it requires more or less Hgr2 will be a happy dude. On second thought less might not be so good. Got one on ice? Larry

• 3 months later...

Guys,

I am having all these problems you mention, especially the double feeds however they only seem to occur when I shoot 65mm short cases. It seems to work fine on 70mm cases, does anyone have problems just shooting shorter cases ?

Mike

Guys,

I am thinking of 'easing the loading port ' of my SX2 with my newly arrived Dremel just to open it up a bit at the mag end and sides and was wondering if anyone else has done this and if there are any obvious or hidden things to watch out for. I have had this done to my 11/87 and it loads wonderfully but am concerned if there is anything to watch out for on the SX2 on doing this.

many thanks in advance

Mike

well i traded my 1100 in on a super x2 practical so now i can give it a try. it's been a few months since this thread started does anyone have any thing new? i can't wait to get to the range and give it a work out.

Say it ain't so!

Next you'll be sporting a C-More and comp'ed barrel on your Glockenstein! :P