Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

power factor

wingnut

24 minutes ago, Sarge said:

7 points over seems to be a universal target. I think somebody did some fancy math on here once to figure out what works best but 7 over still made just as much sense if I recall

It was even published in front sight.

Two standard deviations (in FPS) over the minimum. So the more consistent your ammo's velocity is, the closer you can load to the minimum without failing chrono.

133-135 is my preference. Gun cycles a bit more vigorously, steel is more likely to go over, it's a bit more accurate in many cases with heavy bullets, and I just like the way it feels.

You can't feel the difference between 128 and 133 with the same bullet/powder combo when a timer is ticking away.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Two standard deviations (in FPS) over the minimum. So the more consistent your ammo's velocity is, the closer you can load to the minimum without failing chrono.

I agree with everything you said but the only flaw I find in the FS formula is the dreaded chrono variation from match to match. How many times have we seen comments about," a chrono at section match XX read my ammo 5PF slower than last week at area X. Same temp, same time of day, same everything".

Thats the reason I stay well away from PF floor. 

Edited: Another thing I like to do is keep track of all my low readings when doing chrono work. I typically load to single digit SD or very close to it so in theory it matters less , but I like knowing what would happen if I went to a major and just happened to grab all 8 rounds that were on the low side of the batch.

Edited by Sarge

Sarge, that was his reasoning for staying 2 SDs above 125.00 pf. The worst of the worst ammo would still be more than hot enough.

A good example of why you need to ignore the "just load to 130pf and you'll be fine" crowd... is my Ramshot Compeition loads. I've posted the data in this forum if anyone wants to look, and every attempt results in SD's around 22-23.

This has caused me to use that powder for practice ammo. If I were loading it at 133pf and three of my slowest rounds went over the chrono at a match? With "worst case scenario" weather plus a match chrono that reads slow, there's a good chance I wouldn't make PF.

WST and other powders will give that exact same 135gr bullet a SD less than 10, which much much less velocity variation. Loading to 133 with it means much more cushion because now my slowest rounds clock above 130PF with an honest chrono.

But that's far afield from my initial point.

Even if I were able to somehow know the ammo would chrono exactly what I wish it to when I went to a Major (so I could get away with 125.01 PF ammo?)

I'd still load to about 133-135pf. I like the way the gun runs, and how it feels, and that extra padding when it comes to tipping over steel.

Most novices try to load the softest ammo they can get away with. A few seasons later, you're loading consistent ammo that's more reliable and a hair hotter because you learn that you don't shoot it any slower.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Sarge, that was his reasoning for staying 2 SDs above 125.00 pf. The worst of the worst ammo would still be more than hot enough.

A good example of why you need to ignore the "just load to 130pf and you'll be fine" crowd... is my Ramshot Compeition loads. I've posted the data in this forum if anyone wants to look, and every attempt results in SD's around 22-23.

This has caused me to use that powder for practice ammo. If I were loading it at 133pf and three of my slowest rounds went over the chrono at a match? With "worst case scenario" weather plus a match chrono that reads slow, there's a good chance I wouldn't make PF.

WST and other powders will give that exact same 135gr bullet a SD less than 10, which much much less velocity variation. Loading to 133 with it means much more cushion because now my slowest rounds clock above 130PF with an honest chrono.

I'm with you. Indeed with SD in the 20's you have no idea what you'll get on any given day. SD is more important than many give it credit for.

3 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

Load for best accuracy between maybe PF132 and PF137, and call whatever that load is good. ;)  

Good point also! I shot a load for over a year that had a very low SD and was right at 132 EVERY TIME.  Come to find out it was grouping about 6-8" at 20 yards! 

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Good point also! I shot a load for over a year that had a very low SD and was right at 132 EVERY TIME.  Come to find out it was grouping about 6-8" at 20 yards! 

Was it a heavier bullet? 

Conversely, my 135gr load with an SD of 23 (velocities varied by 100fps)?

2.5" at 25 through an M&P with an Apex hand fitted barrel.

3 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Load for best accuracy between maybe PF132 and PF137, and call whatever that load is good. ;)  

+1.  135ish.  If anything I'd err on the high side to ensure a healthy knock down on plates.  That's my route after exploring the lighter end and getting frustrated at the local level where plate calibration isn't a priority.    

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Was it a heavier bullet? 

No, same bullet. That was when I first started and before I knew subtle changes can make a big difference. I tested different oals, crimp, charge, etc before finding the ideal load for accuracy and PF.