Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet feeder....650 ??

On 10/28/2016 at 8:27 AM, mikeinctown said:

I've never read a thread like that where someone was looking at the cases, either. It has always been because they weren't paying attention.

Human beings are always going to be fallible over the long haul. I look at every charge, but I'm glad that the powder check has my back. 

22 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

BTW, the Op is asking about an XL650 which auto indexes and it is nearly impossible to do a double charge because of this. By the time you lower the handle enough to move the powder bar into position to refill with powder, the indexing already starts moving.

You can point to whatever saying you want, but in the post you referenced, there is ZERO evidence that the failure was a double charge that would have been prevented by a powder check. (and the guy wasn't using a 650)

I load on a 650 and that is exactly how I feel about double charges. If the powder measure hasn't been converted back to the old spring style and you cycle the handle consistently and positively from stop to stop it is going to work. I also empty my powder measure after each session because I want to see the powder flow into and out of the measure like water with no debris or clumps.

Reading that other thread makes me shake my head with all of the screwing around going on there. Checking a powder charge every ten rounds? Weighing ten charges every time he stopped? I am not familiar with the press he was using, but if you are going to load, load! Don't keep stopping and screwing around with the press! Concentrate on what you are doing, pay attention, and just keep loading at a steady cadence. I think that sometimes people try to be so damn safe that they become unsafe.

Oh yea, and running the cases through a bulge buster, (good) and then the finished rounds through a LFCD again? (why?)

Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, TDA said:

I load on a 650 and that is exactly how I feel about double charges.

The last couple issues I have caught were from junk (mud, cleaning media) that stayed in the case. A rock or something you will catch on the deprime.

happens very rarely, but if you shoot 10,000 rounds per year or so and load range brass it will probably happen sooner or later.

Powder check is a crutch for reloading, personally I've seen them fail and no longer use the Dillon in any of my presses. Powder charge location on the 650 makes it moot point IMO.

Added an inline fab skylight and have been very happy with it, debating weather to add a bullet feeder at this point, as the majority of my heavy lifting is done on my 1050's (also without a powder check die)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought a GSI for my 650. It was a giant turd. A well made turd, but a turd none the less. I had two different issues with it. I sent it back at great expense to myself. 

I bought a Mr. Bullet feeder and couldn't be happier. Yes, I had to switch to seating and crimping in one die in order to keep my powder check, but it's well worth it IMO.

• 1 month later...

If your on the fence about a bullet feeder try this. I was in your shoes and was advised to try a mini mr bullet feeder. It was great on the 650. Ran it for about a year then got a mr bullet feeder for my new 650 and moved the mini to my rifle 650. Mini mr bullet feeder was great just wanted the mr after and actually could've save money and stuck with the mini but the advantage of the mr is just dump the bullets in hopper. Mini you have to load into tubes. They both work the same cause the die and dropper is exactly identical. 

On 10/28/2016 at 7:17 AM, jmorris said:

That said I have never read a kaboom thread where they were using a PC or lockout die. 

So I guess it like the breakers at my house, despite never needing them because I pay attention to what I plug in, I'll leave them there just incase they save me from something a I missed down the road.  Same thing for an airbag or seat belt, they only need to be useful once to be worth it.

A 100% visual check by a human is only good for about 98%. 

I am a test engineer at a large equipment manufacturer. We use cognex imaging systems to confirm the presence or absence of assemblies prior to advancing to the next station. 

If you truly believe that you are 100%, try to sort 1000 45ACP for  large and small primers. I bet you will find one or two if you sort them twice.

Edited by LabMan
Stupid auto correct

25 minutes ago, LabMan said:

A 100% visual check by a human is only good for about 98%. 

I am a test engineer at a large equipment manufacturer. We use cognex imaging systems to confirm the presence or absence of assemblies prior to advancing to the next station. 

If you truly believe that you are 100%, try to sort 1000 45ACP for  large and small primers. I bet you will find one or two if you sort them twice.

I have loaded since 09 on a 650 and have been 100% accurate so far. I also sorted a 5 gallon bucket of 45 brass and found every single small pocket. Am I lucky? No, I just pay close attention when I'm doing something that could cause damage or pain.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 5:40 PM, Brooke said:

Get the MBF. You not always going to load the same bullet or even the same caliber. The powder check is not necessary. Just watch the things, don't drink beer, don't watch TV. 

Exactly the point.  Keep your mind on  what you are doing and don't let anything bother you.    Watch the case filled with powder as your powder check.  Using a small mirror helps.  I love my MrBulletFeeder.

Just got a Mini MBF for my 650. A little more labor intensive. It takes longer to load the bullets & primers in the tubes than it does to crank out the rounds. Liking it so far.

As long as you pay attention to what is going on there does not seem to be a real problem keeping an eye on the cases and how they are charged. Only time I have ever had an issue is when you have some kind of a jam or stoppage and you get out of sync. Which is pretty rare.

gerritm

1 hour ago, TANFARM said:

Update...ordered a MBF last night....saw a friends in operation on his 650 and 1050.... pretty cool stuff.....why did I procrastinate so long.......Thanks.......

Is it possible to see the powder level on a 1050 with the MBF installed? 

By possible I mean without craning around and slowing things down. 

Update.......received and installed MBF on my 650 last night...still have apprehension about dumping the powder check...it is what it is.......Installation took awhile....because of my OCD problem , but went smooth. I had to adjust the feed set up in the collator.....but it all made sense.

I ran about 25 bullets through the system and it seems to work very well. Big test drive today......high expectations!

As always I'm late to the party..........why did I wait so long?????

Thanks to all....I think I made the right choice with the MBF..........

You're going to love it Tanfarm - and you won't miss the powder check despite your OCD. It's easy to see into the case on a 650.

IHAVEGAS - I only recently setup my 1050 with MBF. I don't think it possible to see into the case without craning your neck. This is why some of the others have come up with a relatively inexpensive solution using a mini camera. I don't see any other way, but again, it's a new experience for me and I'm still deep in the learning curve. I'll search for the post paste it here.

Edited by armydad
add link to another topic

When I first started using a 650 I considered the possibilities of either a double powder charge, or no powder charge. To address these two conditions I purposely tried to replicate either condition. I found that if I pulled the shell plate up halfway and then went back down I could get a no charge case, but the primer wouldn't go into the case that didn't get the old primer removed. When I tried to double charge a case, I could find no way to get a 650 to double charge short of taking the case with a powder charge out of station 3, take the case out of station 2 and put the charged case in that slot (not something that someone would do, if they did, they need to get a new hobby). At that point I took the powder check out and put it back in it's box (maybe I'll get around to selling it someday) I took the powder check out because powder was sticking to the probe and then dropping on the shell plate. Since that time I've loaded over 100K rounds with no problems. I got a bullet feeder for Christmas so I already had an empty station to put it. Try my experiment yourself, attempt to get a double charge (IMO can't be done) and a "no charge" isn't easy either, one would have to be very inattentive to do it and probably should be doing something other than handloading ammunition.