Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 vs .45 for Single Stack

rootacres

• 4 weeks later...
I am looking for a 40 for the main reason of it being cheaper to load. 

Honestly if you look at the big numbers, 45 is not that much more expensive to load than 40. If I go SS major, it will be 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

.40 for many reasons.

Loading .45 brass completely sucks since you have to sort the large and small pistol primer brass.  Who wants to sort brass?  

I use the same .40 loads in Limited and SS.

I recently purchased a Para Pro Comp .40 , removed the series 80 crap, installed the .057 shim, a 17 lbs main spring and now I have a 2.25lbs trigger, adjustable rear sight, fiber optic front and a sweet gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a .40 recently.  Two actually, but they both allow me to use my Limited gun ammo.  I already have .40 dies, tons and tons of .40 brass, and .40 projectiles are cheaper.  Cheaper = more shooting, which is what really matters.  .40 uses small primers, so you also eliminate needing another extra consumable in the form of large primers.  As well, some .45 brass has small primers, which has is a relatively minor PITA, but still a PITA.

I've been shooting SS in 45 for a couple years. I recommend 40 :)  Now that  I am going to shoot limited it would be nice if I were only loading the one cartridge. Plus I could use the same gun for limited 10 with 10 round mags and enjoy the awesome trigger. all the other pros stated above too.

Everyone should OWN a 1911 in 45, but you can have a 40 for competition. :D

Red

40 minutes ago, js1130146 said:

You can run a .45 1911 in limited 10 with no issues. The rules allow 170mm mags for single stacks.

Yes, but speaking as someone who did this for the better part of a season it was a little bit of a PITA for me because the longer length just never felt right on the reload.  Of course I shot 8 rounders for years, so YMMV. 

41 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

Yes, but speaking as someone who did this for the better part of a season it was a little bit of a PITA for me because the longer length just never felt right on the reload.  Of course I shot 8 rounders for years, so YMMV. 

Sometimes dealing with a longer length can be a problem. Hey! Get your minds out of the gutter people!

Assuming you already load for your production gun, 40 is a good choice. 40 SSTKs can be finicky though. They often suffer feeding problems with the first 1 or 2 rounds (stacking). Don't let this deter you. Tripp Research can reliably fix it. All you would need to load is new dies and a tool head, plus components.

The bag is lighter with 40 than 45 too

21 minutes ago, diver60540 said:

Assuming you already load for your production gun, 40 is a good choice. 40 SSTKs can be finicky though. They often suffer feeding problems with the first 1 or 2 rounds (stacking).

Since I've already been shooting a .45acp forever, this is the reason I'm building my Minor Single Stack in 9mm rather than .40sw.  If I were starting fresh, though, I'd probably go the .40sw route and tinker with it till it worked.