Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammers, Discos and Firing Pins

johnbu

Hammers, Discos and Pins, Oh my!

So, I wondered just what the quantifiable effect changing hammers, interruptors and firing pins would have on ignition reliability.  Rather than wasting bucks (that I don’t have) on ammo, the “pencil launch” test was used to see the changes. The trigger pull force in DA and SA were measured with the changes in the hammers using the Lyman digital gauge and a ten pull average is reported.

In the study a Stock 2 pistol is used with a through detailed polish of all components, pins and holes. The CZ sear spring, CZ reduced power trigger return spring and a EG “light” firing pin return spring with coils cut leaving 5 after the tip of the Xtreme firing pin and the Patriot Defense 10 hammer spring. At the time this was done the PD firing pin return spring was not yet available. The gun and all components were freshly detail cleaned and lubricated to best practices in my normal fashion and all tests were run consecutively with swapped parts being lubricated as normal.

There were 3 hammers used, the factory “heart shaped”, the Xtreme Titan and an old style solid hammer . Three interruptors (aka disco) were used, the old “2 wing”, the factory one (which is the Xtreme part) and the new BOLO. The BOLO was only tested once at the end in the final run. Two firing pins were used, the Xtreme and the Henning Generation 5. Both pins were polished mirror bright. The pencil test was performed and an average height reached by the tip was marked on the masking tape applied to the cabinet behind the work bench. The beaver tail was placed in a 5/16 nut to ensure the hammer was not touching the bench. After the completion of all runs, the LOWEST reading was then marked as ZERO INCHES and all readings are the distance ABOVE THAT MINIMUM.  This format was chosen to most easily determine the actual DIFFERENCE in launch height between parts.  For those that love absolute numbers, the ZERO MARK distance is 17.0 inches above the barrel or 15" above the starting position of the pencil tip while in the barrel. 

Test #1

2 wing disco

Solid hammer

EG firing pin

DA – 4” SA – 4”

DA 4# 4 oz, SA 2# 2oz

Test #2

2 wing disco

Solid hammer

Henning G5

DA – 3/4” SA 1 1/2”

Test #3

Xtreme 1 wing disco

Solid Hammer

Henning G5

DA – 3/4” SA – 3 1/2”

DA 4# 5.8oz SA 1# 8.6oz

Test#4

Xtreme 1 wing disco

Solid Hammer

EG Firing Pin

DA – 3 3/4” SA – 5 1/2”

Test #5

Xtreme 1 wing disco

Heart Shaped Hammer

EG Xtreme Firing Pin

DA –1 3/4” SA – 3 1/2”

Test #6

Xtreme 1 wing disco

Heart Shaped Hammer

Henning G5 Firing Pin

DA – 0” SA – 3”

Test #7

Xtreme 1 wing disco

Titan Hammer

Henning G5 Firing Pin

DA – 0” SA – 1 1/2”

DA – 4# 4.30z SA 1# 7oz

Test #8

Xtreme 1 wing disco

Titan Hammer

EG Xtreme Firing Pin

DA – 6” SA – 6 1/2”

Test #9

BOLO disco

Titan Hammer

EG Xtreme Firing Pin

DA – 3” SA 6 3/4”

DA 3# 14 oz SA 1# 1 oz

The factory heart shaped hammer DA averaged 7/8”, the solid hammer averaged 2 1/3” and the Titan hammer averaged 3” across all tests. This indicates that heavy hammers launch the pencil higher and moving the weight up on the hammer (as in the Titan) launches the highest. The Titan was on average across all tests 2 1/8” higher than the factory heart shaped hammer. The trigger pull force was pretty constant in DA, but the hammer hook height / shape reduced the SA pull force considerably and reduced the trigger motion needed to fire with the Titan.

The Henning G5 firing pin in DA launched an average of 1/2” (which is the pencil point reaching 17 1/2” above the barrel). The Xtreme firing pin launched an average of 3 3/4” or 3 1/4” higher. The combination of the Titan Hammer and Xtreme firing pin were the clear “winner” in pencil launch height going 6” higher than the minimum. The minimum was the heart shaped hammer with Henning G5 firing pin. The Henning G5 pin weighs 72 grains and the Xtreme weighs 99.8 grains. Traditional thinking is a lighter pin will result in shorter lock times and thus greater accuracy. This may be true here, but to get that shorter lock time a stronger hammer spring is needed to give equivalent pencil launch heights. My opinion is the Henning pin is not compatible with the very lightest hammer springs.  And I don't believe there were any spring options as light as the PD10  when that pin was created, so it's not surprising.

This indicates that when using the lightest hammer spring available, the heavier Xtreme firing pin and the heavier Titan hammer transfers more energy to the pencil, launching it higher. When the ONLY change was the firing pin from G5 to Xtreme (using Xtreme disco and Titan hammer), the launch height was a full 6” higher in DA and 5” in SA.

Interestingly the BOLO with the “optimum” configuration loses a bit (3") in DA. This is undoubtedly due to it releasing the hammer slightly sooner as a result of the intentionally mismatched pin/hole. But… that mismatch is what allows the near zero reset and reduces the DA pull force by approximately 6 oz. There is no free lunch in engineering as they say. Everything is a trade off. Of note is the reduction in SA  trigger force with the BOLO.  Unexpected, to say the least.  It probably shows that the Xtreme disco must be rubbing somewhere, increasing the force slightly.  Since I don't run that disco, it wasn't pursued.  Even though it's not understood i think it was a true reading as those are consistent with historical SA pulls with that set up.

You're welcome!

I was just wondering one day how this stuff worked and played together. Then figured others might be interested.

Sorry if it looks too formal, my inner engineer came back out.  lol.

What i don't know is how all the parts work firing real ammo. I just dont have enough $ to get 4-5 thousand projectiles and 500 primers of each brand. 

As someone who is going to begin building their Tango next month and who likes running CCI primers... thank you! This is a huge help. I'd been wondering if the Titan was really worth the $112. It definitely looks like it is.

Advice from a noob but... I just built my first Tanfo. One thing I wish I had done, was I wish I had fingered the gun for around a week before making any changes.

Then each time I made a change, I would finger it again for a while.

I wish I could quantify what changes I had made and what they actually did to the gun.

Go slow, and benefit from not getting into a situation where you don't really know where your gun is in relation to where it was.

7 hours ago, ElMateo487 said:

Advice from a noob but... I just built my first Tanfo. One thing I wish I had done, was I wish I had fingered the gun for around a week before making any changes.

Then each time I made a change, I would finger it again for a while.

I wish I could quantify what changes I had made and what they actually did to the gun.

Go slow, and benefit from not getting into a situation where you don't really know where your gun is in relation to where it was.

So do I! I kind of have an itch to get another Stock II and do this and really figure out what makes the most difference, how, whats not needed etc...But...I'm waiting on the Shadow 2 and see if I like it before committing to another Stock II. 

What makes the most difference is starting with a good polish job. After you refine the rest of the trigger, if the polishing of the internals is not great, you will feel a bit of grit in the trigger. I polished mine twice because I didn't do a good enough job the first time. After that, any change in the pistol seems to be magnified by the polish work. 

That's my .02 anyways.

After the polish job, BOLO, sear, hammer, and springs. Not much else to do

7 hours ago, johnbu said:

With a PD10 hammer spring?  Awesome!  could you measure the depth of the primers?  I've been gathering info on winchester spp and want to see what depth they like the most.  

I'm averaging .006" below flush.  They range between .005"-.008".

2 hours ago, nunez said:

So do I! I kind of have an itch to get another Stock II and do this and really figure out what makes the most difference, how, whats not needed etc...But...I'm waiting on the Shadow 2 and see if I like it before committing to another Stock II. 

In a hair over a month I'll be cracking open my Stock 3 and beginning to swap parts and overhaul.

If anyone is inclined to send me a part or two to test and then ship back to them, we might be able to expound on this list.

Titan, BOLO, PD springs all around, and 1pc sear are the current items on the list.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

43 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

Hooks and geometry of pivot points, etc are super close if not identical. The Titan moved weight up higher inline with the pin.  I would expect performance to slightly favor the titan, it is the "improved" hammer over the delta after all. 

ElMateo is correct on the firing pins.  there is really no meaningful difference between what is in a stock 2 and the Xtreme.

4 hours ago, waktasz said:

I'd really like to see the difference between the Titan hammer and the Xtreme Delta. 

Thanks! That's slightly lower than I tried setting them. The wolf and federal primers like 0.003" deep. 

43 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

T