Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lim guns with steel grip vs polymer?

nelson1each

I'm still newish to 2011 lim guns...I have shot with polymer and steel grips. I currently have steel grips on 1 of my lim guns and just switched the other back to polymer experimenting. I really prefer the feel of polymer and don't mind the small difference in recoil to have a lighter and more comfortable gun.  Seems like an easy choice to dump the steel grips but...seems everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy and that metal grips is where it's at. I don't want to make a rash decision and sell off 2 steel grips only to regret it later cuz obviously those things r quite pricey. Just want to here some opinions on steel or not to steel. Thanks. 

I have steel grips on my Atlas Gunworks Limited guns and I love it. It has reduced the recoil by at least 75% for me. I have the Phoenix Trinity aggressive grips on my limited gun. So people want them smooth but I like the aggressive feel for my shooting style. I would say give each one a few matches in different conditions and see which one performs better for you.

2 minutes ago, teros135 said:

It's not about what anybody else thinks.  If they work for you, use them. If not, sell them. Don't confuse yourself by taking a poll of what others do.

This, doesn't matter if someone else prefers a steel or polymer grip. You already decided which works better for you.

3 minutes ago, nelson1each said:

Figure I'm new enough to the 2011 that I'd see what others are thinking...I know what I like but worried that I don't know what's good for me...I secretly like the polymer cuz I'm so used to shooting a glock 

There's your answer :lol:

My biggest problem with some polymer grips on the 2011 is mags not dropping free. Some of us squeeze hard enough to deform the grip and the mags get stuck. This is resolved by going to the steel grip. I like the added weight too. If your mags are dropping free and it feels good to you then awesome. I have had custom stippled polymer grips that feel better in the hand than steel but always had mag issues.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Do some drills with a timer and see what works better for you. Do transitions, mag changes and draws to see what is faster on the clock. Thanks, Eric

I seem to recall a couple of young hotshots doing this years ago and changed some accepted notions of competition shooting by challenging them on paper and on the clock. Gee, if only I could remember their names ...

On 2016-10-09 at 8:56 PM, nelson1each said:

I'm still newish to 2011 lim guns...I have shot with polymer and steel grips. I currently have steel grips on 1 of my lim guns and just switched the other back to polymer experimenting. I really prefer the feel of polymer and don't mind the small difference in recoil to have a lighter and more comfortable gun.  Seems like an easy choice to dump the steel grips but...seems everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy and that metal grips is where it's at. I don't want to make a rash decision and sell off 2 steel grips only to regret it later cuz obviously those things r quite pricey. Just want to here some opinions on steel or not to steel. Thanks. 

People here cannot give you an answer, as what some may prefer, you may not. We all have different hands, and shooting styles, and preference will differ. If polymer is what suits you, don't change to Steel because what you read here, or vice versa. Try a buddies gun for a comparison before making a final decision. 

On 10/9/2016 at 10:56 PM, nelson1each said:

seems everyone I talk to thinks I'm crazy and that metal grips is where it's at. I don't want to make a rash decision and sell off 2 steel grips only to regret it later cuz obviously those things r quite pricey. Just want to here some opinions on steel or not to steel. Thanks. 

I had a PT on my Akai Limited gun, never got to like the feel of it.  Never shot it any faster or more accurately so I went back to the Plastic and sold the PT.

I'd keep your experiment going till you decide.  It's your gun and your score, so ultimately who cares what the OTHER guy says.  Maybe he'll buy your grip if you go with plastic LOL

I had an sti edge with the factory grip that was just awful.  I sold that and got the extreme shooters DVC grip which was so much better.  I thought that was great.  Then I got a new gun with the PT aggressive steel grip.  That totally ruined me.  I could never go back to a plastic grip after shooting with the steel.  The balance is so much better and the traction is out of this world.  Its a significant investment but in my opinion totally worth it.  All that said only you can decide what you really like and shoot better with.