Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange new problem CKArms 9mm Major

molson

Good evening all,

Saturday during a match, I experienced a first time ever issue with my CKarms 9major pistol.  Mind you this is more than 7,000 rd's mostly trouble free.  Here is what happened.  Fire the shot, and the gun does not totally eject the case.  Rack the slide and it ejects a loaded round and of course pushes the empty out.  All is well.

Saturday evening I checked the grip screws, that front spacer with screws, and the ejector.  All where tight and no obvious issues.  Wiped the gun down and did not see a strike on the bottom of the horizontal scope mount.  Let's try it on Sunday.

Sunday match, the same thing again, twice.  Humm, What can it be?  Magazine? Pulled the offending mag on the second occurrence and went about the rest of the day without issue.  Maybe a mag I was thinking.  Also thought Aftec spring or springs, and maybe even the recoil spring.  The fact it did not happen the rest of the day led me to believe it was a mag.

Cleaned the gun tonight.  Pulled out the extractor and the front spring fell right out.  Busted in half.  About 4,000 rounds on the front spring.  Moved rear spring to front and replaced the rear spring with new.  I guess we will see what happens Saturday.

Anybody seen something like this before?  I bet somebody has, but thought I would share.

I will let you know how it goes.

molson

Aftec.png

I replace recoil spring every 4k rounds.

Aftec Springs roughly 8k, magazine springs every 6 months, and mainspring 1 per year

I shoot 12 months a year or would only change mag Springs 1 per year.

If nothing else has changed, it's usually a spring problem.

This is one of those things I will add to my new obsession, called "open".  Thinking 4,000 on the Aftec springs might be a good number.  They are cheap insurance.  Probably will add the recoil spring as well..  

I guess I was more surprised than anything with the spring being broken.  My limited 40 major had 20,000 rounds before the springs gave up.  Open has much more maintenance.  I knew that though thanks to this forum.

Still want to see how Saturday goes though.

molson

I change all my springs; mags, aftec, recoil, firing pin & spring as well as mainspring around my Birthday each year weather they need it or not. Mag springs I do change twice a year. Haven't had spring issues since I started this practice but I have never had an Aftec spring break. Good luck..

Good news!  As I and everybody else suspected, replacing the front spring fixed the problem.  Ran flawlessly as usual today.

i will be changing this set of springs on a regular basis going forward.  Thinking 4,000 rounds or so.  Will add in the recoil spring to this as well.  Springs are cheap insurance.

Molson

• 2 weeks later...

Bobby got back to me today (I sent an email on Sunday evening).  Send broken part back and will send a replacement.  Cannot beat that with a stick!  A part they don't even make and will warranty it.  Nice.

Great service in my opinion ? 

Molson