Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm major

Chapo

Looking for the best recipe for a gen 4 g34. I am using this time hs6. I have all competition springs and a 13lbs recoil spring. Carver 4-port comp. looking for a flat experience. I am thinking about 6.4 grains and taking it from there? Thoughts from other g34 open shooters?

Edited by Chapo

34 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Thinking of 6.4grs of hs6 with the 124 cmj or 125 HAP at an OAL of 1.13 with a compensator (4ports) and 11 or 13 lb recoil spring. Thoughts?

I agree with garmil. Good starting point. Not gonna make major with that though. Probably gonna be around 8 grains but always start low and work your way up.

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Thinking of 6.4grs of hs6 with the 124 cmj  at 1.13"  with a compensator (4ports) and 11 or 13 lb recoil spring. Thoughts?

You want to work that up, slowly, with a chrono.

Can you load it out any longer - 1.13" is a little short for Major - even 1.145" is better, if you

mags and chamber will allow.

I load 124 at 1.13 also. 6.2 grains of Autocomp is right about 170pf. 

Havent loaded hs6 short but in other loads it took 10-15 % more powder than Autocomp for similar velocity.

g34 barrel with no ports I'd guess 7-7.2 hs-6 is where you will end up for major with a little room for error

Edited by Garmil

No excuses, Once I tried autocomp with a cast boolit 124gr but had to seat deep to 1.058 so it would chamber and had a catastrophic explosion. Later found out pressure was too much from the seating being to low. So, loading a jhp at 1.15 works for you huh. I guess the type of bullet cast vs jacketed is the difference?

34 minutes ago, Chapo said:

No excuses, Once I tried autocomp with a cast boolit 124gr but had to seat deep to 1.058 so it would chamber and had a catastrophic explosion. Later found out pressure was too much from the seating being to low. So, loading a jhp at 1.15 works for you huh. I guess the type of bullet cast vs jacketed is the difference?

Autocomp is on the fast side of Open powders, while loading for a compensated pistol it's important to have a good understanding of the effects of changing variables like OAL, powder, bullet type, ports in the barrel, barrel length, etc.  As a rule of thumb, the faster the powder, the heavier the bullet, the shorter the OAL, the harder the bullet, the higher the initial chamber pressure, the looser the chamber, the more likely it is to have a case failure.  It might be counter intuitive, but loading 9gr of 3n38 is (*in my observation) safer than loading 7gr of Autocomp.

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

Garmil, thanks. Is that load of hs6 with g34 with a compensator? Does it shoot flat? That's my main concern. 

Ah the elusive flat shooting Open gun :D

I'll start by stating, a 'flat' shooting gun is not a requisite to becoming a GM, in fact, most GMs I've seen shoot gun which don't shoot as flat as mine do, but they are GMs and I'm a B class shooter because they spend time practicing while I spend time playing with loads, comps and guns; we do what we do because we enjoy it and everyone has their own priorities.

People like to brag about how "flat" their gun shoots and how "the dot never leaves the glass", but through my extensive use of slow motion footage I'm convinced that is largely imaginary :sight:

I have a very strong grip, I've shot a lot of pistols with the best powders available and I have never shot a gun where the dot never leaves the glass.  I have shot pistols where I didn't perceive an empty glass, but with the aid of the camera I can see the muzzle lift at which the dot leaves the glass is a small fraction of the lift exhibited by my flattest gun.

Here's a link to my thread: 

17 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

Bayou 124 gr rn, 6.4 autocomp, fedsrp, col 1.150, out of a 5" bbl 173+pf

Comp build up not a problem with the first 1500 or so, seems flat in my gun.

Splits

Jcc is that out of a Glock?

Great perspective kneelingatlas!!

He is a very wise dude, with more technical knowledge than most of us put together. Find something safe, reliable, and accurate and just practice, a lot. when I was loading at the shorter OAL required for my G17 open gun (in comparison to my 2011s), I liked 8.4 of HS6 with a coated bullet. Flat enough. Accurate. Made PF. Cheap. Practice lots, get gooder.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention Chapo:  if flatter is what you're looking for, you should try 115's, the comp works by using combustion gasses to force the muzzle downward, so the more powder, the more gas.  When talking about Open guns there are two components to the recoil impulse:  the vertical movement (flip, muzzle rise, etc.), and the horizontal (straight back recoil, slap in the hand, etc.), powder, gun, comp and PF being equal lighter bullets generally shoot flatter, but recoil harder in the hand, with a light gun like a Glock that may prove to be unpleasant. 

I agree with kneelingatlas, no such thing as a flat shooting open gun. The "dot never leaving the glass" is a perception not a reality. A expectation that is not realistic but many people hear the tale and get disappointed when it doesn't shoot flat like a 22 lr. The comp when properly fed enough gas will do its job as intended and push the pistol back down so quickly that in real time the human eye can not process it ever leaving before its back in sight. So the goal back here in the world of reality is to get a gun to return as quickly and effectively as possible. A fine line exists though between perfect return, not enough return, or to much (muzzle dip). That's where preference comes into play. Each shooter and the differing variables such as their grip, stance and arm strength play a significant part to ones comfort zone. A load can be too hot with to much gas for one causing muzzle dip for one whereas that may be perfect for another and so on and so on. Open pistols are the ammo tweakers dream really. With a dynamic recoil device you have even more room to change a pistols feel and impulse with components. My preference with 9mm major was HS-6 and Sil. Autocomp was snappy for me...but thats me not you, your a different person with different characteristics. Best thing is to get as many of the powders out there that guys use in 9 major and experiment until you find that load that makes you happy!.