Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pricing advice

My 550 is on the way to Dillon for repairs (broken lower link). Since it will probably come back in as new  condition, I'm thinking  it might be a good time to sell it and move up to a 650. Any price suggestions for only the press with 2 tool heads? Other suggestions? Thanks

Edited by johes

Everybody on facebook asks for about 110% of retail and always has 7mm, 270 and 243 dies and a bunch of crap that nobody wants.  Just dont do that and you'll sell it fine.  80% as mentioned above seems to be going rate

Thanks all. I've loaded enough ammo on this press in the last 8-9 years that it's almost automatic. Still trying to decide if the 650 will be enough upgrade to change.

Edited by johes

31 minutes ago, johes said:

My 550 is on the way to Dillon for repairs (broken lower link). Since it will probably come back in as new  condition, I'm thinking  it might be a good time to sell it and move up to a 650. Any price suggestions for only the press with 2 tool heads? Other suggestions? Thanks

You could have just had them send you a new link at no charge. Easy to install.

11 minutes ago, johes said:

Thanks all. I've loaded enough ammo on this press in the last 8-9 years that it's almost automatic. Still trying to decide if the 650 will be enough upgrade to change.

A little more learning curve with the 650. Caliber changes take a few minutes compared to the 550. If you have to clear a problem on a 650 it's not as quick as a 550.

550s seem to be on sale everywhere you look so I would actually expect the value to be a bit lower than say a 650. (for every one 650 I may see, I see at least a dozen 550s) I think the 80% is a good starting point considering it will have been basically refurbished by the mfg.

10 hours ago, johes said:

The case feeder alone is a big upgrade. no more taking your hand off the handle to feed brass. the ability to add a bullet feeder is massive too. now you don't do anything but pull the handle. I also prefer the spent primer and primer system on the 650 over the 550. more reliable and manages the primer crud better.

There's some significant changes from 550 to 650:

auto indexing
auto case feeding and auto case collating (if you buy the collator which you should)
5th station gives the flexibility to do things like run a universal decapper then a sizer, or run a powder check, or run a bullet feeder all while still maintaining separate seat and crimp
the extra speed is a bonus too. :)

10 hours ago, johes said:

Running the machine is twice as fast with a case feeder and four times as fast if you add a bullet feeder.