Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Barrel Weight For A Jp Rifle

askomiko

I've decided to get a JP-15 rifle instead of Colts that I've been trying. Well, I'd just like to hear comments about ultra light barrels. I think the 18" ultra light might be the best for me, being a 165lb guy, but I've never tried one. :wacko:

I like my 18" midweight.

JM2c Best bet is call JP and talk with them. Tell them where you are, the matches you shoot and plan to shoot and get the recomendation from them.

I have several JP parts on my AR, though, not the barrel. I WILL say this, I have a 20" Stainless barrel, and after putting a couple of hundred rounds through it, I wish I would have gone 18". Anything to lighten it up a bit. I want to point out, this is not a bull barrel, but a normal, barrel. And it weights a ton hanging out there.... When supporte,d it isn't a problem, but when freehanding it, it starts getting heavy, fast.

I have an 18" med. weight and love it. Its lighter and easier to move than the heavy barrel I used to use but not so light that the gun bounces around like my M4. I have the stainless low mass system which may be part of the smoother recoil. I shot the alum carrier and the stainless back to back and the stainless system does move the gun a bit more.

I have a JP 20" lw weight bbl. and love it. I was also unsure what length / weight upper to get and got the following info from JP.

The following info is regarding JP's 18" and 20" bbls.

A 18" JP medium weight bbl is .650 under the handguards and .875 in front of the gas block. A JP 20" light weight bbl shares the same specs as a 18" bbl. Other words, a 18" JP medium weight bbl is a 20" JP lw bbl. with two inches cut off.

1:8 twist bbls are available only in the 20" guns, off the shelf.

The Ultra Light Weight bbl. is available in 18" only and measures .500 under the handguards and .750 in front of the gas block. Ultra Light bbl weighs about 1lb less than a med weight bbl.

A JP15 with a 18" medium weight bbl. weighs 7.4lbs.

The stainless steel JP gas block weighs 5oz. more than their aluminum gas block.

Hope this helps.

Nick-

I prefer the mid-weight JP 18". I was seeing too much vibration on the light weight set up for my preference. No reason to go over 18" on barrel length since all you need to do is make minor.

Take care,

Matt

• 1 year later...

Found this thread from a couple years ago, and I was wondering if the general consensus was still about the same....

I'm about to order a new JP upper and I think I would like the 18"ultra light or light contour barrel with the BC comp. I've been using a M4 profile, and I'm looking to reduce some weight.

Any disadvantages to using a light weight barrel ??? I know heavier means a little more stable, but does the recoil increase noticably with the lighter barrels ??? Do they heat up quicker than a heavier barrel ???

Thanks for any and all input.

I have several uppers. My favorite is a 20" Gov't/A1 profile. It is much easier to swing than my 20" HBar. It is what I call my serious gun. No optics, just iron sights. I do like my 16" midlength Del-Ton with a low power scope for games.

Heh, I got a 20" hbar, then a 16" lightweight, and now I'm supposed to get my 18" SPR profile in few weeks... So, you'll get them all anyway, eventually. Also, I'm not 165lbs anymore... :rolleyes::P

The heavy 20" is steadier than a 16", but also the longer gas system makes a difference. For now, I like to use the lightweight 16" more. We'll see about the 18" when it arrives.

Edited by askomiko

Well.........placed my order today for a 18" Ultra-Light JP15 with the Bennie Cooley comp !!!!!

Now, I have something else to hide from my wife or convince her that I've had it for a long time and she just didn't know about it !!!!!!

Come On 4-6 weeks........