Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Magwell - large (?) hands

DEP44

I've asked before and I believe the Dawson Heavy ICE or Big Ice was suggested. Looking at the Dawson website pictures I'm having my doubts if that is even going to help me. The STI tactical looks like it sticks out less or maybe this oneIMG_1030.JPG:

Pistolgear magwell

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

The Dawson ICE is definitely bigger that the factory STI magwell.  The heavy ICE and the regular ICE I believe are the same size one is just brass for weight.  The big hand ICE is the same size well but it its hogged out around the top perimeter if that makes sense.  The idea is that it gives your hand more room.  I personally like the regular ICE because it drives my hand higher up.

Thanks, the BAM seems to be more supersized than others, but out of stock everywhere I looked. Cameon's webstore seems blank and directs to Ebay store which is also empty. I'll give 'm a call this week. BAM looks more promising than BAM II.

Found this Cape in an old thread but can't find this particular model in any store:

Cape 

Wow,  how did I miss this?  DEP44, that is my hand in the pic with the CAPE, it appears that your hand is built much like mine. Eric and I have gone over this quite a bit through the years so when he says go with the BAM,  he is speaking from experience, the BAM is the way to go.  The CAPE worked well but as you found out, they (at least the large ones) are not available any more. I wasn't interested in using something I couldn't get anymore so when I had the chance to T&E one of the BAM prototypes I jumped at it. Hopefully you read the thread that explained all my thoughts on how the CAPE and the BAM are a totally different design than the regular STI or Dawson mag wells. I have switched to the BAM for my open and limited guns and I am still extremely happy with them. I have not tried the BAM II but I don't think it is what you are looking for so hopefully you will find someone with a BAM in Stock.

Eddie has got his own thing going as far as I know   www.EMGCustoms.com    and phone listed in the ad in Frontsight is 480-766-0092

Neal in AZ

Bam magwell for sure

i changed to them a couple of years ago after I bought an great used Akai limited gun from a great forum member.

My hand sticks over as much or more than yours and now my hand fits on the gun/s

Shooters connection sells them

I have large hands and prefer the regular dawson ice (creates a nice wedge for my hand), however I tried the dawson ice big hands version (with the cut out sides) and I can see why someone with dinner plates for hands would prefer that over a normal big magwell. the cape looks look too but so much more $ over a dawson ice (which is already fairly pricey for a small piece of delrin and aluminium). 

BAM inbound! I talked to Eddie today (great guy to deal with btw, he called me back even without me leaving a message) and he's shipping me a BAM.

I'll post an after picture once installed.

• 3 weeks later...

Told yah...Well Eric did first :D

Glad it worked for you like it did for me. Funny how that support hand is supported also isn't it.  I wasn't expecting that but really appreciated it after I started using them.

Neal in AZ 

I know! It never worked for me to position my left hand correctly, but now the bottom ledge positions my left hand where it should be and in an naturally repeatable way.

I have to be careful though; I'm running out of excuses :ph34r:

Hello: Neal (Intel6) is the guy who should take all the credit. He has huge hands and is one hell of a nice guy. Very helpful as well. Glad the magwell works for you. I have only found a couple of 2011 magwells that do that for me. A STI one with the sides cut down to fit the IDPA box. The old SVI magwell that fits the plastic grips. The Krebs magwell which is not much bigger than the grip. The BAM works the best for me for USPSA. Thanks, Eric