Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Enos Forums Member Shoot - Locations!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we continue to gather votes and info - let me plant a couple of seeds...

Is there a URL for SCCC, or something?? Something that the membership can go look at to get a feel for the range?

While it's hard to pick a leading set at this, it seems like DT is in the lead, with ITPSC, SCCC, and Frostproof being the close followers. We have a member willing to act as liason for one of those (ITPSC). We're going to need a volunteer to hunt down the right folks at each of the others, and inquire as to whether they'd be willing to have us, when they could accomodate it, how much they'd want, etc - and then hopefully also play liason for the range as part of the "match staff", though this role might be do-able by someone else.

My thoughts on next steps - wait a couple of days for more responses, contact the leading locations for the info above, make all that info available, and then post a second poll with the leading locations, the time frames that they'd be do-able, etc, and duke it out.... :)

I like the Oklahoma site because it is more central and sounds like a great facility. However, I am much closer to SCCC because it is home to most of the matches I shoot so I would love to host the meet here.

On the plus side it is about a 20 minute drive from the airport and all but the last three miles are Interstate. Southwest flies directly to Louisville.

The range is located on 135 acres in Southern Indiana 7 miles North of Louisville, Kentucky.

There are currently 12 bays of varying dimensions for pistol and a Trap range. Numerous props, steel etc., this is the site of the Area 5 for 2004 and 2005.

There are motels and restuarants within 5 minutes of the range. There are a lot more in Louisville.

And the board will probably welcome us and be willing to be reasonable about the range fee.

On the down side the range development is rather new. There is a concrete block club house with electricity but the necessary rooms consist of a couple of port 'o potty and a lot of trees. There are permanent shade awnings at two of the bays at the moment.

If we were to pick this range May, after the Kentucky Derby, or October would be the best time from a weather standpoint.

While Frostprof Range would allow a nice vacation (and visiting relatives :wacko: ), I would like to hear from the West coast people....would they attend, or is that too far. I would hate to exclude any more than necessary because of location.

Mike

When you live in Texas, most every location is reasonable.

I apologize to most anyone I may have offended with my "oops vote" joke. Since Rio wasn't on the poll, it was a great opportunity to jab Erik W.

With the Rio possibility re-opened, and the new (good sounding) Reno idea, maybe we should let this run till we confirm if both Rio and Reno are a possibility (or not), then start a new poll with the top three from this poll, plus Reno and/or Rio, for the final selection?

be

I apologize to most anyone I may have offended with my "oops vote" joke. Since Rio wasn't on the poll, it was a great opportunity to jab Erik W.

No offense on my part :) Smart***..... :):lol: I guess you're entitled, though...

With the Rio possibility re-opened, and the new (good sounding) Reno idea, maybe we should let this run till we confirm if both Rio and Reno are a possibility (or not), then start a new poll with the top three from this poll, plus Reno and/or Rio, for the final selection?

be

Sounds like a plan - that was sort of what I've been thinking since the Rio option re-opened. I figured take the top 4 from this poll, and determine if they could be done (ITPSC is already in the bag), and put them and Rio (if it can be done), and now Reno (if it can be done) on a new poll and let them duke it out :) No reason to include a range on the followup poll if they can't take us, or if no one that voted for it is willing to check it out a little more.... (at least, IMHO :) )

BTW - we'll need someone to get in touch w/ Reno and find out all the pertinent details, too.... For the life of me, I have no idea how much to expect range rent to be, but that could be a significant part of our match fee, so I'd like to have that available for folks to check out (in the spirit of openness, anyhow :) ).

Sorry for the late reply (and I haven't voted yet). I wanted to follow up and confirm with the owner about the Houston range. It is 100% available for this event... if it's not too late to get Houston in the votes. ;)

I can see we'll already need a new poll :) :) :)

Thanks, Sniper :) We'll keep that one in mind on the next one, too :) Have you got a URL for the range or something??? What will the range rental fee be, etc?? :) If it sounds like a lot, go bat your eyelashes at 'im for us :)

I can see we'll already need a new poll :) :) :)

Thanks, Sniper :) We'll keep that one in mind on the next one, too :) Have you got a URL for the range or something??? What will the range rental fee be, etc?? :) If it sounds like a lot, go bat your eyelashes at 'im for us :)

Well, his website is... errr... somewhat lacking. But, hey, he's busy doing more important stuff, right? :D When I return from Area 6, I'll go out and take some pictures and post 'em.

Yeah, eyelashes work well on him... LOL!!! I'm sure he's more than willing to negotiate something very reasonable because he is more about the match and it's cause than to make a killing off o' us.

:D

Until we get a little bit of investigation done into the top locations above, is this poll still useful to anyone?? I'm thinking it's reached the end of it's usefulness, given the way that things have changed since it began??

Here's what we've got - Rio Salado is being investigated. Reno has been highly suggested, but no one is investigating it (or, no one's let us know that they are), ITPSC has volunteered, Houston has volunteered and has supplied appropriate info, Frostproof is being investigated (I sent email to Frank Garcia), Double Tap needs someone to investigate, Clarks range needs someone to investigate.

That seems to cover all the top options. The next poll will be a shootout between all the ranges that are actually viable, and won't be "pie in the sky" :)

Thanks for your participation!!!!

I talked to the president about it Saturday and I will make a proposal to the board of directors of the Western Nevada Pistol League for a 2-day match in June 2006. If accepted, I'll make a proposal to the forum members.

Right now, my major concerns are setup crew (would N. Californians or others be willing to show up Thurs. or Fri. to help build stages?) and attendance (too few or too many).

My other major concerns are: how to implement a stray pair of tighty whiteys as a stage prop, and how to safely implement the Egret as a start position. :)

I, for obvious reasons, voted for The Shootout in Princeton, LA. It's 10 minutes from my house and the home of my employer, Clark Custom Guns, Inc., so I'm there on a daily basis. My other choices would include Byram, MS (Home of the MS Classic) or the Houston range that SNIPER mentioned.

I, for obvious reasons, voted for The Shootout in Princeton, LA.  It's 10 minutes from my house and the home of my employer, Clark Custom Guns, Inc., so I'm there on a daily basis.

So, does that mean you're volunteering to do the initial legwork?? :) ie, determine if they can/will host us, how much the range fee will be (either flat amount or per head), what timeframes would work for them, etc??? :) :) :)

Edit - Renee PM'ed me w/ the info :) So, we now have info on the Clark range, as well. I'll include it on the new location poll once we're ready to roll it....

Thanks, Renee :)

I talked to the president about it Saturday and I will make a proposal to the board of directors of the Western Nevada Pistol League for a 2-day match in June 2006. If accepted, I'll make a proposal to the forum members.

Right now, my major concerns are setup crew (would N. Californians or others be willing to show up Thurs. or Fri. to help build stages?) and attendance (too few or too many).

Erik, I'm sure you could get enough from the Northern Cal clubs.. count me in..