Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm freeeeakin' out

Shooter Grrl

Duane,

I seem to remember Phil Strader saying something similar in a post here ----- He said that he's not that exciting to watch because he just moves at a consistent pace, not setting anything on fire, but not falling below fifth or so either, and that in the end it's it's the consistence that sends him to the prize table first.

• 1 month later...

Not really. Just me 'umble opinion, but for me at least trying to run fast just seems to cause me problems when I get to the next position. I'd rather be getting set to shoot instead of running fast. Besides, in the VAST majority of stages at an IPSC match, let alone IDPA, the movement distance isn't long enough for there to be a significant time savings on "just hauling ass" versus moving at a controlled pace. Not to say there aren't people out there - Travis comes instantly to mind - who can be fast AND controlled.

In the Lenny Magill tape IPSC Secrets, our host replies to one of Lenny's questions (and let me see if I can do this from memory), "Actual movement time is not that critical. One year Robbie and I were practicing for the Team Challenge because we happened to be shooting together. There was this one stage that had about 18 yards between shooting positions. I like to kind of cruise over there at a semi-medium pace whereas Robbie likes to sprint because he feels he gets his nerves out there. And we found the entire difference between our shot to shot speeds, from the first position to the second, was about half a second. And that was the difference between a dead run and a fast stroll. So it's not how fast you run that saves you major time. It's whether you can somehow begin to leave the position while still shooting, and be ready to shoot as soon as you enter the next position."

Great post DT,

this is worth repeating...

"...So it's not how fast you run that saves you major time. It's whether you can somehow begin to leave the position while still shooting, and be ready to shoot as soon as you enter the next position."

The most important thing is to definitely keep your mind SET, where it needs to be - calm and ALERT - while moving rapidly. :)

One of my favorite mantras over the years is - "I'm moving quickly but not rushing." Rushing applies to all realms of movement - gun, body, and mind.

be

• 4 years later...

I alway drink a whole bottle of Vodka before a big match.

Afterwards you wouldn't get excited about a nuclear explosion.

Plus the double vision gives me more targets to shoot at. :D:P:D

I am always a little nervous before a match.

The bigger the match the bigger the butterflys.

It's no big deal.

When you come to the line all the practice and muscle memory overcomes the nerves.

When you hear the buzzer just begin to do what you've trained yourself to do.

After I put the first stage behind me it goes away.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

Nationals is no more important than any other match you go to. It may be on a bigger range, more stages and a lot more shooting but you still have to do your own plan to have any chance.

If you can, get there a day before, walk around the entire range without even checking out the stages themselves. Just get comfortable with the area. Look for friends, spend the day relaxed and comfortable. Nothing in the world beats seeing old friends you haven't seen in a while.

The money you spent has nothing to do now with how you will shoot, it's gone. It's an investment in something we all enjoy doing. Don't even think of how you will end up or how someone else has done before you. There is nothing you can do to change their score or yours so why worry?

I did most of my competition in archery. Once I finally learned that when I shot 59 arrows in a row into the bullseye there was no way I was going to miss the last shot. You relax, believe that " I just did this perfect for however many times. This is the same as the first shot so just do it.

Best to all of you in your endeavors.

• 4 months later...
The random thoughts roaming through my head (I'm hoping by sharing them they'll LEAVE my head !)

I'm anxious to see my friends.

It's a lot of money, hope I don't get DQ'ed.

Oh jeez, I don't really know how to shoot - who am I kidding with this

I wonder if I really do have what it takes to perform well

This is gonna be fun - I can't wait to get there

I gotta remember to really prepare to for the first stage, I'm better than to have first stage f**kups

Shit - where are my extra batteries

I hope Bruno eats while I'm gone (my cat!)

WHY did I ask to be squaded with the be.com guys... what if they don't like the "real" me.

Don't listen to the naysayers

Be confident - you know how to do this... but I don't wanna mess it up (How's that for messing with your own head!)

And on it goes....

Sounds like you need to stop and breathe. I promise once the buzzer goes off, Your head will be empty. Don't think, react. If you practice, you'll be fine. If your here to win every time your going to be disapointed. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if I really do have what it takes to perform well.

Probably most of us know that one, too well.

First we learn how to shoot. Then, due to all the anxiety related thoughts (I only have one chance to shoot the stage, what if I shoot like an idiot...) that arise - minutes, hours, days, weeks, and months before a match, we have to learn how to allow our shooting skills to emerge at the buzzer. At this point, for each of us, competition is 100% mental. So the key to a good performance comes down to managing our thoughts before we shoot.

There a couple ways to do it. And both require becoming aware of negative self talk. One way is to - when you notice negative thoughts, replace them with positive thoughts. Like: "I wonder if I have what it takes?" Replace that with, "I know what my skills are, and that's what I'm going to do because that's all I can do."

Another method: "I wonder if I have what it takes?" Upon becoming aware of that thought I realize - I know for certain - that is not good for me, so I just let it go. Now every time I notice that or a similar thought, I let it go. I never "let it build."

Depending on our temperament, experience, and the experience we are currently in, most of us will probably create negative self talk to a certain degree. So our mental training never ends.

What the hell, I am going to just shoot. Or just type.

;)

be

A lot of people I know who have been exceptional at their chosen hobbies have been so because of their personalities. One in peticular was very gifted; pro bowling, semi-pro golf. Anything he did, he did well, but he was the most narcistic bastard I had ever been around. He love himself like nobody I had ever met, but it gave him an unwavering self confidence.

This was an extreme case, but it's easer to see what's going on in the extreme cases. His self confidence was so good that he could just let go and do it. It sounds a little funny, but it worked for him. I think anyone who is exceptional at a sport has to have the self confidence to just let it all go and cut loose with the best they have.

If your here to win every time your going to be disapointed. :cheers:

If this is the case, aren't you picking the wrong adversary/goal/skill? In other words, why are you basing your immediate goal on what someone else is doing or is capable of?

First we learn how to shoot. Then, due to all the anxiety related thoughts (I only have one chance to shoot the stage, what if I shoot like an idiot...)

Well when I attended my first Nationals in '89 I was shooting the computerized stage. You were standing in a Guard shack and the targets were timed and they would only be available for shorter durations as the course progressed.

You would engage a target from the left window, then a target through the center window and then a target through the right window. Three differnent targets through each window with a timed delay to be able to reload (we were still shooting single stacks in Open).

As we were preparing to shoot the stage everyone was trying to plan the way to get the most points, at the time I had only been shooting about a year and was squadded with Bill Hamilton, Shirley Hamiltons husband. She was hanging out as Bill was planning and she looked at me and saw in my face I was going to go for all the targets that I could. No picking and chosing the targets to engage.

So as I get closer to shooting the stage the next squad shows up and it is the Super Squad. Now I had previously taken a class from J. Michael Plaxco who was on the SS.

I get up to shoot the stage and I start out first three targets then the reload and I blow the relaod big time. Now instead of chasing the targets I just indexed on the left window and waited for the third set of targets to appear and finished the stage.

Man talk about feeling like a total idiot here I blew a simple reload and then I must have looked pretty stupid standing there while targets were appearing and disappearing all in front on Plaxco watching.

Well when the stage results were posted I actually fared a whole lot better than those that had tried to plan out a strategic engagement of targets.

So get a plan and if you know where you are in your plan you will do okay.

Alan

p.s. Maybe I should have posted this as my most embarrassing moment :surprise:

Back in college my music teacher suggested to us to practice like it was the performance.

Walk into to your practice room as if it were the real performance. This is it, one chance

to do things the way you want!

It gives you a good way to try and accomplish what you want under the pressures.

Myself, my goal is to practice calm so I shoot calm at all times.

When I run hard to the next position I think of my legs pushing hard and keeping

my head/thoughts calm so the adrenaline doesn't creep in and cause tension.

I remember a movie on basketball...

Small town team makes it to the championship, which is to be held in the "big city arena".  The players are nervous when they check the place out...coach has them break out a tape measure.  They measure the distace to the foul-line...10 feet, same as home.  Then they mearure from the ground to the hoop...same as home.  You get the idea.

You have the same range commands, same buzzer, same targets.  All you have to worry about is shooting and taping (beats the local match where you have to help do all the work, right?)

Small suggestions.

- When I am on deck or in the hole, I stretch.  That helps loosen up some of the tension.

- Follow a set "Load and Make Ready" routine.  (make sure you put one in the pipe).

- Don't rush.  the RO's are there to assist you.  Start when you are ready.  I like to take a couple of nice, deep breaths...and wiggle my toes (got that from Chaffin).

- Above all else...shoot what you see.  Let you sights (dot) tell you the story.

Don't get to caught up with running cameras and video recorders (your gonna, aren't you?).  Your there to shoot.  Focus on the shooting, relax and enjoy.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 1:57 am on Aug. 16, 2002)

WHAT CAMERAS!!!!!!!!!!! I think my brain would shut down

WHAT CAMERAS!!!!!!!!!!! I think my brain would shut down

One year I was shooting the Barricade Event at the Bianchi Cup. Magill's Cameraman was standing literally right next to me. He was not even just a little behind me - he was directly beside me. Being the introverted/introspecitve type, I couldn't decide if it would mess with me more if I asked him to move back... or maybe it would be better to just ignore him and keep shooting. I asked him to move because I couldn't ignore him. I still get irritated when I remember that.

be

Great posts for handling match pressure. From my limited experience, once the buzzer goes off there is no match pressure, just shooting like you know how. How does one move that postbuzzer calmness to prebuzzer time? I have tried several of the ideas mentioned here and will continue to try more. I assume there are different things that work for different people?

Are M and GM shooters as calm as they appear before a stage? Or is it just a confidence factor? Or perhaps they have found the calming answer, maybe mentioned in this post?

Sorry for some duplication, I just am unclear of the best way for ME to handle match pressure..........

• 4 weeks later...

I believe it was

Arnold Palmer who said, "It's OK to have butterflies on the first tee, just make sure they're flying in the same formation."

Tiger Woods who said, "I feel the same pressure that everyone feels, it's how you handle that pressure which determines a champion."