Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17M

matt7184

40 minutes ago, Butterpuc said:

Is this the one hat was specifically made for the Secret Service, or some other Federal LEO agency?

FBI, I believe.  The story goes that Glock stole the contract out from under Sig.  FBI wanted something with a lighter trigger and no finger grooves (thereby blocking Glock from bidding) and then Glock churned one of these out almost overnight, severely undercut Sigs pricing, and the FBI was left with no choice but to award to Glock.  FYI this is COMPLETE hearsay - only what I've read online on various message boards.

It's a nice thing that Glocks are made here, in the good 'ol USA now. It was a real slap in the face for American industry that our military used weapons that are made in another country

On 8/16/2016 at 3:15 PM, ClangClang said:

FBI, I believe.  The story goes that Glock stole the contract out from under Sig.  FBI wanted something with a lighter trigger and no finger grooves (thereby blocking Glock from bidding) and then Glock churned one of these out almost overnight, severely undercut Sigs pricing, and the FBI was left with no choice but to award to Glock.  FYI this is COMPLETE hearsay - only what I've read online on various message boards.

LOL no 

On 8/17/2016 at 9:03 AM, Ray_Z said:

It's a nice thing that Glocks are made here, in the good 'ol USA now. It was a real slap in the face for American industry that our military used weapons that are made in another country

The photos say Austria on the slide.

And apparently they have already been recalled because the Indianapolis Metro PD that took delivery are having problems.  Nice one... glad to see that the streak of using the end customer as beta testers continues.

Looks good.  However the Indianapolis PD has apparently had to send them back to Glock due to problems.  The slides were coming off while dry-firing.  Hopefully Glock will get that straightened out quickly.

3 hours ago, Nik Habicht said:

Interesting too that we're back to single pin frames....

I'm more fascinated by the conventional rifling and the new barrel profile. I feel a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of aftermarket barrels cried out in terror.

At least they didn't change  the sight cuts or something, you can still remove the slide cut protectors they install at the factory and have your choice of sights.

I love that they removed the finger grooves but the drastic change of inner parts seems like lunacy.  Hopefully they did not change the trigger mechanism to match the Glock 42 and 43.  But if the revised firing pin safety plunger and single pin is any indication they probably did.

Cross-pistol modularity and sharing of parts was what appealed to me, and this seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Maybe the recall was because they installed the slide lock backwards? : )

2 hours ago, kro77 said:

So do you mean to say that polygonal barrels do not have the same kind of tracing characteristics as rifled barrels?

Google "Glock Miami barrel"

8 minutes ago, Sniperboy said:

Hopefully they did not change the trigger mechanism to match the Glock 42 and 43. 

They did. 

On 8/17/2016 at 9:03 AM, Ray_Z said:

Most Glocks sold in the USA are made in Austria, and assembled in the US (there are a few exceptions, my G42 is made in USA.. as I don't think it would qualify with enough points for import, you will see a few USA made guns from a production runs occasionally), most if not all Glocks sold internationally are made in the USA.

Been this way for many years!

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson