Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 19 Gen 4

sray53txtn

First Glock in a decade + and got a Glock 19 Gen 4 FDE in trade on a rifle trade.  It has 50 rounds though it (last owner).

My question: My only pistols to this point are CZ TS 40 and a CZ Shadow Target II.  Shot the Glock for the first time today and was underwhelmed with accuracy.

My main competition is Palma and Small Bore prone rifle matches.

Any thoughts or recommendation on accuracy improvements?

New/Old Glock owner needs help.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

alloobnmmclfcfho.png

Edited by Rinoray53

Well first, what exactly was the accuracy? 

Secondly, I've never seen anyone shoot a Glock the first time as well as they do after they get used to the trigger. 

That being said, factory Glocks are combat weapons. Not bullseye pistols. 

3 hours ago, Rinoray53 said:

First Glock in a decade + and got a Glock 19 Gen 4 FDE in trade on a rifle trade.  It has 50 rounds though it (last owner).

My question: My only pistols to this point are CZ TS 40 and a CZ Shadow Target II.  Shot the Glock for the first time today and was underwhelmed with accuracy.

My main competition is Palma and Small Bore prone rifle matches.

Any thoughts or recommendation on accuracy improvements?

New/Old Glock owner needs help.

Thanks in advance for any advise!

alloobnmmclfcfho.png

:eatdrink:   Advice man, Advice!!! Compared to the guns you have the 19 is not going to be as accurate for you. If it will put a round center of mass on a torso at 5 yards it's good to go.

g19 group.jpg50-60ft outdoors, standing 5-6" groups.  My sight picture was ok-not great.  Trigger squeeze and hold probably my biggest issue.  Shooting 125gr Zero FPFMJ loads (my reloads - med power factor).   Shooting left and low, by the fourth full mag things seemed to be a little better.  So all this most likely me and unfamiliarity with the 19.

Advice appreciated - Thanks

Edited by Rinoray53

Curious what type of accuracy you were expecting?

Low and left sounds like a typical new Glock shooter. Try changing your finger placement on the trigger, maybe a little more finger... low is more than likely anticipation.

G19 is not a target pistol, and while extremely capable you must have realistic expectations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Rinoray53 said:

If/when you folks install a new trigger and sights on a G19, what brand and types are most highly recommended?

For a carry gun, I prefer Trijicon HD sights with the orange front ring.  The only trigger modifications I would consider are a factory minus (-) connector and a polish job.  For a competition gun it's an entirely different story.

On August 15, 2016 at 5:51 AM, Rinoray53 said:

g19 group.jpg50-60ft outdoors, standing 5-6" groups.  My sight picture was ok-not great.  Trigger squeeze and hold probably my biggest issue.  Shooting 125gr Zero FPFMJ loads (my reloads - med power factor).   Shooting left and low, by the fourth full mag things seemed to be a little better.  So all this most likely me and unfamiliarity with the 19.

Advice appreciated - Thanks

I think this good considering this is your first Glock in a while.  20 yards and a 5-6" group standing? I would take that.  A little more practice, keeping it mostly set to factory settings... You may get it down to 3-4"...

If its a carry pistol then I would suggest the minus connector and polish job. Glocks are certainly capable of decent accuracy. Here's my target, shot freehand at 50'.

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL891/3760206/24695907/412047423.jpg

Are you letting the trigger fully out after each shot? If so try to keep the trigger pinned back as you follow through the shot. As you acquire the target for the following shot, slowly let the the trigger out just until it clicks (resets) then pull the trigger straight back and repeat. This should help your accuracy on successive shots. The bulk of your group is low left indicating trigger (pull) issues.

Edited by igolfat8

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update and thanks to all who offered assistance.

I have been practicing hold and trigger pull since I last posted and have installed set of TruGlo Pro I-Dots, polished trigger parts, and 3.5lb connector. 

Same loads at same distance, with more practice, better sight picture and trigger.  Getting used to it really helps.

G19 got better.jpg

truglo A (2).jpg

Thanks to all!

Edited by Rinoray53

On 8/15/2016 at 1:17 PM, dthomas1003 said:

5"-6" groups from a compact, factory Glock is not all that bad or unexpected from a new Glock shooter. Those will still all be within center mass. Considering most gun fights happen within a 3'-7' range, this gun will serve you well.

Very low expectations, realistically the gun will shoot fist size groups at speed. 

If a threat is within 3'-7' most people wouldn't even be able to draw. 

This was actually not meant to be an accuracy demo by any means, actually just messing around with a new gopro (and extended slide lock on the G23 which was removed after this test).

https://youtu.be/cjHO8rbUQ80 

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

Don't have much to add to what has been suggested already. It's very good advice and was similar to what was suggested to me when I started. I was ready to dismiss the Glock as "a horrible gun" but glad I persevered like you. Learning to shoot it has been one of the most rewarding personal experiences. 

Just another vote for an OEM - connector and different sights. For me it was a thinner front post and narrower rear. I'm a fan of Dawson's. 

Hope you keep at it and see some rewarding results that you're satisfied with. 

Edited by Sniperboy

I grew up on the 1911. In order to shoot Glocks well, I had to put every thing else in the safe down and shoot only Glocks for a while. They are more accurate than most of us can shoot. However the unconventional trigger does have a learning curve. At least for this old guy.

I was in the same boat.  Swallowed my pride and kept at it.  But the added benefits were immediate and priceless.  No need to clean the gun - have enough time to load ammo, learn a new language, or have my nails done!  And no longer was I a slave to a $3000 pistol. : )

I'm in the old fart category, not any particular pistol that  and have started to like the Glock just fine now - thanks to some good feedback ;)

Trigger time gets a little better each time to the range and it's in my pistol bag every weekend now.  There is a definite difference in hold & trigger when I pick up the CZ SP01 Shadow.  I like them both and respect their differences.

However, shooting and placing shots better with the G19 ALL GOOD - fun to shoot too.  

No $3000 pistol, that's more like my Palma prone rifle cost.

On 8/15/2016 at 0:19 AM, dthomas1003 said:

Glocks can be very accurate. However, the factory trigger is pretty much horrible and accuracy can suffer. 

This.

The factory sights are horrid (for my old eyes) and the factory trigger is pretty bad too.  

Like others I am trying to transition from 1911's to Glock 19s. Have 3, one I bought in 1993 and the others are Gen 4.

I don't understand the why, but from pure accuracy, 115s are outshooting 124s on all 3 pistols.

Don't know if there's something wrong with yours, but my experience is that Glocks are simultaneously exceptionally accurate and difficult to bullseye shoot well. Several months ago I shot 4x's out of 5 shots on a B8 repair center at 25 yards, freestyle. That was with a 17 whose only mod was a Zev connector and spring kit. Glocks are different beasts but the same bullseye fundamentals apply, advice that I received many years ago from John Dreyer over at bullseye pistol dot com. Some pistols will help you bullseye. Others will reveal your weaknesses. Glock is not in the former camp.