Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's Your Power Factor For Steel Challenge?

pmd

Currently my steel gun (auto optics) and revolver both are shooting around a 135pf. I set the guns up to shoot knockover steel.

This summer I am planning to shoot a bunch of static steel/steel challenge type matchs and practices. Both pistols I currently use have a little flip/snap - I'd prefer not to spend the time working on new loads and tuning the pistols but will if a softer lighter load makes sense.

What do you think? Do you prefer a light load/pf for static steel.

What are you shooting?

Thanks.

Paul

I am shooting my major load that I use in USPSA.  It makes 168 PF.  I find no handicap in doing so because it is only one shot per target.

I agree. One shot per really lessens the difference. I am only slightly faster with my Minor load vs. my Major loads in Steel Challenge matches.

If you already have a decent load that you are comfortable with, I'd suggest not spending any extra time in the reloading room (or the range) messing with load developement.

138 PF in my P9 Open, 170 PF in my STI Limited. I'm going to work up a lighter load for my SV Open gun because the blast from 170 PF ammo is uncomfortable for practice. But it doesn't hurt my times.

I am shooting my major load that I use in USPSA.  It makes 168 PF.  I find no handicap in doing so because it is only one shot per target.

I agree. One shot per really lessens the difference. I am only slightly faster with my Minor load vs. my Major loads in Steel Challenge matches.

If you already have a decent load that you are comfortable with, I'd suggest not spending any extra time in the reloading room (or the range) messing with load developement.

If this were the case why does noone shoot these size loads at Piru? :P

Anyhoo, I run 3.5 gr WST behind a 115 in the revo ..... about 103pf

and 4.0 gr WST behind 115 JHP in the Briley approx 120pf, gun won't cycle less.

For falling plates the I run my Icore load through the revo 4.0 gr WST behind a 145 approx 121pf. B)

I shoot very light 40's from my Production pistol (Beretta), about 115 I think.

I'm going to strat using my Limited gun if it'll cycle these too, or creep up until it does... it hates plated at Major power factors, I need to find the window it'll shoot and cycle plated, just because it's cheaper.