Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA witness limited pro

joeg

Im sure this has been asked...can some tell me with certainty that this pistol is legal in IDPA SSP/ESP. From what ive read it is. I dont want to go to a 2011/1911 platform....thanks.

post-50693-0-80599000-1470199217_thumb.p

It is cataloged at 9" OAL, The Box is 8.75".

Can you cant the gun enough to get it in and the lid down?
If not, can you trim the beavertail? It is not one of the specifically permitted features/modifications although ADDING a beavertail is ok for ESP.

I would not bet on it being acceptable.

The Elite Match is cataloged at 8.75" but at 44 oz is too heavy.

From catalog data, the Elite Stock I appears to be suitable.

I've been looking at these too.

From what I've heard/read. The boxes can vary in size as can the guns. I've read that some have longer beaver tails than others. I've also read that the overall length may not be 9". It might be shorter (penis joke).

I've read folks say they shot sanctioned matches with these and have had no issues (wooden boxes)but then went to another match and the gun wouldn't fit in a metal box.

So,.... With all this being from the Internet, I'd take whatever I hear as questionable at best. Though, you could just buy one, see if it's good to go. If not, I'm sure some USPSA shooter might buy it off you.

Mine fit in the box (the wooden one from IDPA) just fine, but it doesn't fit in square. You have to angle it a little. It is not 9" long, maybe 8.6" The only thing I had to do with it was to change the safety lever, since the original ambidextrous ones were too thick for the box. There are several in the witness line to choose from though. I started ESP with it, shooting single action, but now I shoot SSP with it. I will eventually slap on a magwell and upgraded trigger and move back to ESP. If you add the magwell though, you will have to remove some weight somewhere and probably shave the beavertail because the magwell probably won't let it fit in the box on angle any more. I'm going to learn the double action before I do anything to it though.

I've done 4 sanctioned matches with it this year and it has fit in every box and hasn't been questioned, except for two people that said they would buy one after looking at and playing with mine.

Full disclosure: Mine, by the way, is the .40sw. I make weight and everything, but I don't know about the 9mm version, since I don't have a 9mm barrel yet. I know it's heavier, but don't know by how much.

I would rather shoot 9mm for cost, but use 170 grain Precision bullets with about 3.2 grains of Titegroup, which gives very little recoil in this heavy a gun.

Oh, and you can change calibers easily with the same frame...

Hope this helps.

Edited by robport

I was with a shooter couple Nationals ago and his did not fit the plastic box at equipment check. It was the beavertail that got him and was 1/8" to long. We tried and tried to wiggle it around..lol

Some people round off the beaver tail. It doesn't change the handling of the gun or make it unsafe. A small amount and it will fit the box. I know will say this is cheating but each LimPro that comes from the factory does not have the same size beaver tail. I had two of them and each beaver tail was different.

I was with a shooter couple Nationals ago and his did not fit the plastic box at equipment check. It was the beavertail that got him and was 1/8" to long. We tried and tried to wiggle it around..lol

Probably was me as i shot 14 nats and mine would not fit .Didn't try taking the 1/4 thick rubber base pads i add to the bottom of my metal base plates.Got home and filed the beavertail down till it fit

the new plastic box that they were selling at Nats. Shot the state match a month later and had no problems .I had already shortened the thumb safetys to fit the width of the box.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, v1911 said:

I'm not a CZ/CZ clone guy so maybe someone can explain to me the interest someone would have for this over a Shadow. 

The only major difference between the 2 is the grip size. My lim pro is the large frame, with much larger grip than the cz's. Just fits my hand better. When I draw, my grip is more consistent, and gun comes up to target the same every time. With my shadow, and its much smaller grip, I feel my hand wraps to far around it and not always consistently. I have tried many varying thicknesses of grips as well. Also, I dont care for the rounded shape of the bottom of the trigger guard on the Shadow vs the flat version on the tanfo's. Looks like the Shadow 2 trigger guard is now flat. The tanfo is just a better looking gun in my opinion too. I have heard it turns average shooters into GM's as well, so i got that going for me, which is nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Had 2 guys in a squad that were using this model. They looked damn good. Of course it didn't hurt that one of them was also an SSP master. One of them also had these sweet looking scalloped aluminum grips. Very aggressive grips. I know we joke about some grips being cheese graters but these ones had the holes through them to prove it.

May be the gun I'll be keeping an eye out for.