Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Biscuits And Gravy

Shooter Grrl

I've lost 20 lbs on the low carb regimen.  Not going to even think about biscuits and gravy....might drool a little but ..... :wub:

Don't know that you'd be too worried about it but make sure to take some CQ10 suppliments. I did the low carb thing to drop weight before I wanted to get pregnant (don't think that's an issue for you either :lol: ) and my skin tone suffered, didn't stretch and receed well. Wait a minute, is this a gun forum or did I stumble onto iVillage by mistake!? :P:D:lol:

I've lost 20 lbs on the low carb regimen.  Not going to even think about biscuits and gravy....might drool a little but ..... :wub:

Don't know that you'd be too worried about it but make sure to take some CQ10 suppliments. I did the low carb thing to drop weight before I wanted to get pregnant (don't think that's an issue for you either :lol: ) and my skin tone suffered, didn't stretch and receed well. Wait a minute, is this a gun forum or did I stumble onto iVillage by mistake!? :P:D:lol:

Never heard of CQ10 or IVillage. I must be getting culturally deprived.... And I think I'm too old to get pregnant. :unsure:

Funny that this was brought up because less than a week ago I had to explain to some northern gunsmiff by the name of Dan what the hell "Biscuits and gravy" is. He was clueless, but at least he's good with computers....NOT!

:):) Love biscuits and gravy. I was the only one who could cook back when I rented a house with 3 of my buddies. The other 3 would trade lawn mowing detail for a plate of Biscuits and gravy. I'm getting hungry.

I've got another 10 lbs to go to meet my target weight. Thanks to this thread I'll then have to have biscuits and gravy, both sausage and red eye, to satisfy this craving for carbs. Might have to throw in a hashbrown cassarole, grits and a cornbread muffin while I'm at it. Perhaps a little rice for lunch and baked potato for dinner with fresh from the oven bread.

Recipie:

1 lb pork sausage, browned

Once sausage is browned and over med/low heat, sprinkle approximately 2-3 TBS to 1/4 C. of white flour over sausage, stif and cook for 2 minutes.

Pour milk (skim works) til it nearly covers the sausage in the pan. Cook over med/low heat till it starts to boil. The gravy won't thicken until it has started to boil. Cook until it reaches your desired thickness.

Add salt and black pepper to taste. I also like red pepper flakes in mine and a lot of black pepper.

Serves 2-3 people, depending on how hungry you are.

Serve over biscuts, toast, hashbrowns. Good with eggs, too.

Recipie:

Once sausage is browned and over med/low heat, sprinkle approximately 2-3 TBS to 1/4 C. of white flour over sausage, stif and cook for 2 minutes.

Pour milk (skim works) til it nearly covers the sausage in the pan.  Cook over med/low heat till it starts to boil.  The gravy won't thicken until it has started to boil.  Cook until it reaches your desired thickness.

Add salt and black pepper to taste.  I also like red pepper flakes in mine and a lot of black pepper.

Serve over biscuts, toast, hashbrowns.  Good with eggs, too.

Or use with a breakfast delicacy I discovered on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Take a bowl of steamed short grain rice. Add one sausage patty. Add an egg fried over easy. Cover with Big Dave's gravy. They call it Moko Loko (I think, it's been 14 years). YUM! Breakfast of Champions, champion Sumo tori that is.

Recipie:

Pour milk (skim works) til it nearly covers the sausage in the pan.  Cook over med/low heat till it starts to boil.  The gravy won't thicken until it has started to boil.  Cook until it reaches your desired thickness.

Add salt and black pepper to taste.  I also like red pepper flakes in mine and a lot of black pepper.

Serve over biscuts, toast, hashbrowns.  Good with eggs, too.

Or.....

One ham slice with bone in.

Cook in the cast iron skillet your grandma handed down

(Important because the porus grain of cast iron hold all those tastes in)

Remove Ham slice, remove whats left of bone marrow and toss back into skillet.

Sprinkle about 1/4cup of flour (plain) into skillet and stir to get all the bits off the bottom.

When flour has turned a golden brown (roux) then add strong black coffee.

Bring back to a boil and fiddle with to get desired consistency.

Cut up ham slice put on homemade cathead biscuit and slather with red-eye gravy.

Open cold beer and have breakfast.

Yummm Yummmm

Later, Steven

Just in case you didn't know a "cathead biscuit" is simply where you take the dough and instead of cutting it into rounds you squeeze a glob about the size of a cathead out from between your thumb abd forefinger. Pinch it off pat it once or twice and throw it in the pan.

It's the lazy mans biscuit. Nothing but a bowl to wash afterwards. No flour scattered on the counter or cutting utensils to wash.

Now you can swallow that back down Bedell :)

Later, Steven

Cook in the cast iron skillet your grandma handed down

(Important because the porus grain of cast iron hold all those tastes in)

Yup - I was just getting ready to modify Big Dave's recipe. Not only did he forget the cast iron skillet, he forgot to overcook the sausage.

The other trick: once the sausage is done, tip the pan up so that the grease runs out to the corner - then put your flour RIGHT THERE in the grease, mix it up until there's no lumps, then mix it in with the sausage THEN pour in your milk.