Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP01 and SP01 Shadow 50 yard accuracy?

mpolans

Can anyone tell me how well an SP01 or SP01 Shadow (*not* accushadow) groups at 50 yards?

Since CMP changed the rules for service pistol, I was considering getting one for that, or maybe Bianchi Cup production.

Here's something I did long ago, not sure if it helps, i was testing relative accuracy between SP01, SP01 Shadow Custom, and SP01 Accushadow:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188576&p=2130114

in all cases I could have tighented 50 yards groups up with better techique, slower fire. I believe the main reason for larger group on stock SP01 vs others was trigger, I was fighting its excessive stock pull weight, vs much lighter trigger on the custom or accu.

Unless one of the pistols has an upgraded bushing or barrel i assume that their mechanical accuracy would be comparable. My 75 Shadow custom groups similar to my other non shadow CZs as long as i am doing my part. All of my CZ are currently running factory barrels with factory bushings.

Cz customs claims a 3" group with the Accu-Shadow (5" for the regular Shadow) from a ransom rest at 50yds, so I'd say it's a pipe dream.

"Ransom Rest testing at 50 yards with Fiocchi 125 JHP (A ZERO bullet) has proved group of less than 3 compared with a factory new gun at about 5.0. At 25 yards the groups were around 1.2 a one-hole group."

And my number is me standing there, shooting freestyle. No rest, no bag, moly bullets, not good at distance shooting, ect ect. So what I said represents me, not the inherent mechanical accuracy of the pistol/platform.

Unless you are using a bolted down ransom rest and custom made reloads, I am sure getting 2" groups at 50 yards with any pistol would be difficult.

If remember correctly Stuart said something similar about the accu shadow development, that they had a hard time finding ammo accurate enough to test the guns with.

A friend of mine bought a shadow with all the work done from Automatic Accuracy and when he asked Mink about the accu shadow vs regular shadow his response was that with the way we reload ammo (mixed headstamp, range pickup brass, high volume reloading) that it wouldnt make a difference.

Edited by bthoefer

Anyone know how much difference an aftermarket fitted barrel might make?

Of course we shooters are often the biggest limitation, but minimizing mechanical errors should also minimize overall error and resulting group size. Since the diameter of the 10-ring on a 50-yard slow fire target is 3.36 inches, if the gun is made capable of shooting 2 inch groups, it would allow you to deviate 0.68 inches from center and still score a 10. If the best your gun can do is 6 inch groups, even with the steadiest of holds, a large number of your shots are unlikely to be in the 10-ring.

2" mechanical accuracy at 50 yards is what bullseye shooters pay bullseye-dedicated gunsmiths big money for. 4" mechanical accuracy at 50 yards for a service pistol is quite good.

Your expectations are too high. Remember that when you see reports of 50-yard accuracy, some just estimate group size instead of measure, and some of that estimated from memory, some estimate distance, some "walk off" yardage, some measure group size AFTER excluding flyers, some give you best group instead of typical groups, some base their accuracy on 3-shot groups, some have never even shot at 50, but will take their best group at 25 and just double it, which amounts to diddly and squat in relation to 50 yards, some take what they've shot with fixed barrel carbine and assume if the ammo will do it in the carbine, it will do it in their tilt-barrel barrel service pistol, which it won't. And then some people measure and report properly. Most service pistols will not do two inches at 50 yards.

Precision with a tilt-barrel pistol, which most of us are using, comes down to consistent barrel lock up at either end. Stock bushings are a little loose by design. If you don't have a match bushing of some kind to tighten up the lock up at the muzzle and a tuned trigger, plus do the load development to maximize the accuracy potential of the weapon, you should not expect better than 4" mechanical accuracy at 50 yards. You might get it, some do, and great if you do, but you shouldn't expect it. Unless, of course, you have a P-09, in which case you probably have a pistol that will do 2" at 50 with match ammo. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

there is a guy called Ray Pulver (he runs holland precision barrels - used to be called Lisner barrels) who makes barrels for a number of top NRA/Bianchi shooters. He also makes barrels for CZ's and tanfoglios and has built up a couple of pistols for bullseye type accuracy. The cost of the barrel and fitting (and who does the fitting is very important if you want to get the max potential out of it) would probably run you $1000 USD+ for barrel supply and fit. with a barrel like that, fitted well I would believe sub 2 inch is certainly possible from a ransom rest.

The best thing you could do with a stock one is probably fit one the CGW 10X bushes and see if that will improve it's accuracy at distance. I believe it would.

• 1 year later...

My CZ P-09 shoots between 2 and 2.5 inches at 50 yards regularly with my custom hand loads. It's totally stock except for I put a Trijicon RMR Red Dot on it. Another member I'm Bullseye-L, Joe Mustang also shoots very good groups of his CZ po9. He has a lot of Bullseye videos on YouTube also.

tmp-cam-811593232.jpg