Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Chambers on Tanfo Stock 2/3

I'm thinking of messing w/ a Stock 2/3. I'm currently using a SP-01 Shadow. There are so many similarities between these 2 platforms, I'm wondering if the short cut chambers on the barrels is one of those things. Currently, I'm having to load my 147 FN coated to 1.085-09".

Not really. Before I switched form MP9 to tanfos, I heard the same thing. I even had a gunsmith ready to ream the chamber. However, it turned out no need. I did not even adjust anything on my 650. My two Stock 2s and one Limited Pro eat Bayou 147FP @ 1.135-1.140 OAL happily in thousands.

Send to Bevin Grams... he'll ream it.

I now load to 1.175"

Did he ream your s2 or s3? The s2s have a hard chromed barrel that requires a carbide reamer, not your standard hardened steel reamer.

The plunk test in your chamber? It depends GREATLY upon the profile of the bullet.

An M&P of mine won't take a 135 gr RNL past 1.105" ... but eats 1.170" 124gr FMJs like candy.

Does the stock 3 have a hardened barrel like the 2? It doesn't need to be hard chromed to be reamer-proof. The factory barrel in an XD-m and an M&P both laugh at a standard reamer as it is slowly dulled without making a scratch.

I bought a new Stock 3 from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop 3 weeks ago and am still using my minor load for my M&Ps. 147 flat point Bayou loaded to 1.135-1.140. Only 350 rounds so far but it eats them flawlessly. Maybe the tolerances of their barrels are like the tolerances of their internal parts. What do you expect, they're Italian made. Except more like an 80's Ferraris instead of a 488 GTB.

Edited by JeffD

I recently bought a stock 2 and ordered some 147 grain bbi and blue bullets only to find I could only load to 1.09 to fit in the barrel. I tried some 147 grain xtremes and can load to 1.130 and they pass the plunk test with ease.

I recently bought a stock 2 and ordered some 147 grain bbi and blue bullets only to find I could only load to 1.09 to fit in the barrel. I tried some 147 grain xtremes and can load to 1.130 and they pass the plunk test with ease.

Which profile Xtreme bullet?

Not really. Before I switched form MP9 to tanfos, I heard the same thing. I even had a gunsmith ready to ream the chamber. However, it turned out no need. I did not even adjust anything on my 650. My two Stock 2s and one Limited Pro eat Bayou 147FP @ 1.135-1.140 OAL happily in thousands.

Have you plunk tested those, with a spin?

Of course. More importantly, I have tested it by shooting 8k with zero load related malfunctions, including 2 major matches. I'd say all 3 of my tanfos like the 1.140 OAL of Bayou 147FP profile. YMMV.

Which profile Xtreme bullet?

Round nose

I have successfully throated 4 Stock2's, 4 Limited's and several matches with a Manson throating reamer. The reamer would not work on a Xdm 5.25 nor a CZ P09. For the polygon barrels I used a Manson reamer with the pilot bushing sized for the polygon. For lands and grooves barrels Dave's standard throating reamer works fine. I don't know about your barrels. They may be harder. My newer S2's appeared to have a chrome lined bore but the throat and chamber did not look like they had chrome on them.