Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saul Kirsch"s New Book

If you dont know what to do for practice at the range...buy it.

If you know what to do at the range...dont.

My 02

That pretty much sums it up. I don't know how many times i've seen threads on the forum and have been asked on the phone - "how and what should I practice," or, "Does your book have specific practice drills?" If you're in this group, Saul's book will help you. And even if you're not... maybe you're just "stuck" - if you take the book to the range with you and really work with the drills in it, it will build skills you may not have known you needed. It's not a book "to read." It's a guide to work with at the range.

be

I might add what Saul himself wrote about his book in another forum.

This is actually his second book.

He has been working on his first one for quite al long time ("Thinking IPSC") and "Perfect Practice" was intended to be a chapter inside this book.

Then Saul realized that this was a topic deserving its own place, and wrote "Perfect Practice" as a complete book in itself.

According to the last page of this book, he has resumed working on "Thinking IPSC", that should be released for print quite soon.

If you were only going to pick one training guide would you pick this one or Steve Anderson's book. I see that neither of them is like reading a novel. Interested in comments from those of you that have seen both. Thanks

I have both, have read both, and have translated both (with autors permission).

They're complementary: Steve's book talks about dry fire training, drills, and generally what you have to focus on while dry firing; Saul's book is a training manual for live fire practice, focused on drills and skills to build with them.

I'd say if you're going to pick only one of them, you're going to miss something (or you don't need something).

Flex I probably should have said which to buy first. The other option out there is that Matt Burkett has already taped the "how to practice" DVD, he just hasn't released it yet.

It might sound funny, but we all want to be GM's; but it is quite another thing to dry fire every day and shoot live fire multiple times per week. It's easy to talk about it, it's hard to really to do it and then the issue of doing it over the long haul is also another story all together.

Skywalker - thanks for the review.

Rick

Thanks Ben. We are going to have to met one of these days. I see that you also post on Ronnie's site - Wis IDPA. We might have met at one of the shoots already, I'm just having a time putting a face to a name. This weekend is Mom's day. I work the next two days but my wife took off to go turkey hunting without me. They leave tonight. The next weekend is Ripon, do you shoot there?

Rick

Thanks for the review's guys. I ordered Saul's book, because of this thread. My friend and I have been practicing, but I have to wonder if our practice could be more effecient. I have ordered Steve's book, already, and have high hopes his printer will get to work soon to print some nice new copies, so I can finally have one! :-) I'll probably pick up Matt's book and new video next month.

Rick, I shoot local IDPA style Matches Monday nights. My next matches out of town will be in Duluth MN on May 22. Then on Saturday, June 4th in Marshfield. I don't think we have crossed paths at a match yet, but I am confident that we will.

I think Saul's book is a great attempt of bringing a complete IPSC technical guide in a compact format. Technically speaking, IPSC is a simple sport, and Saul's book showed me that. Great drills. By the time you master all of them, you'll be a pretty good shooter ;)

I think that Brian's book and Saul's book is a combination that is hard to beat.

I have seen Steve's book. It looked great. I didn't buy it because, well, I already dry-fire a whole lot, and I don't want to raise the staus of dry-fire to a realm of it's own. Dry-fire is there to support my live fire. If I would get involved in the matter of dry-fire even more, it would be like I'm shooting two different sports. IPSC and dry-fire :)

But that is personal. I'm kind of obsessive like that I guess ;)

Must be timing - I came home this morning to find an Email from Burkett saying that his DVD will be available 6-1-05.

Rereading Brian's book - almost done with the chapter on creative shooting - wonderful stuff.

Ben, you might be right - not yet but soon my friend. :D

Rick

.02 cents from a beginner. Sometimes it helps to hear things explained a different way. I think you increase you chances for enlightenment and success with the more perspectives you receive. I'd say pick it up, I don't think there is one resource that I haven't benefited from in some way.

Rockclimbg

• 2 months later...

I like Perfect Practice a great deal, it reinforces the simplicity of the fundamentals, and the great value in keeping them sharp. It adds the structure that I lack in practice, and the little time I get to do it is valuable enough to be planned. I am finishing it now, and beginning to choose the drills I need to do "right now". I will read Brian's book next while I practice Saul's drills. I haven't read Anderson, but I do a little dryfire in the days leading up to tournaments, should be doing more.

• 1 month later...

Kevin,

That's great! Exactly what we all should be able to do. Extract from a book what works from us. A little bit of anything and everything. After all, not all books can be a timeless goldmine like PS:BF.

I haven't read Saul's books yet, but when I get the chance, I think I'll read "Thinking..." first.