Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Provisional Division

The 1911 Provisional Division has been approved. It will go into effect on 1-1-06 for those clubs and organizations that wish to use it. All clubs and organizations not wishing to take part in the experiment will continue their programs as they are now.

Anyone wishing more detailed information can contact me direct at garystevens@alltel.net.

USPSA will have an announcement on this in the near future.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Gary.

We just need the course designers to be fair now.

I think the course designers should follow the USPSA rule book! If you mean to imply (and I'll apologize up front if I'm reading too far between the lines of your comment) that the course designers should tailor course design toward SSD, then its a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

Since this is provisional, we didn't want to incorporate it into the classification system unless it is made permanent at a point in the future. If you shoot the division you are assigned the highest classification you have on record. I felt that was the fairest thing since all classifications are withing one class of each other. Besides it would assure someone wouldn't slip under the radar with an artifically low classification.

Classification, Your current high classification is fine and is as it should be.

Round Count is a) already covered and B) not really a big thing, Each division only competes against itself so that a standing reload would not negatively affect one SS shooter over another. Do we build stages that are revolver neutral? Are all our stages set up as 6 rounds from one position? No! Should they be? No! Their is already a 10 round division and it is alive and well, If no special care was needed to grow L-10 or Produciton, then do we really have to be concerned that SS will somehow require special coddling? I would hope not.

If the SS division (Not sure I like the sound of that) takes off, will we see L-10 go away? or will we simply divide the shooters into 6 groups? Maybe we should have R-7 and R-8 so the 7 & 8 shot revolver guys also have a division?

Jim

Gary:

Will USPSA provide a list of clubs that are participating in the program? It would be a help to those interested in the SS experiment find a club...especially for those in areas that don't have clubs willing to participate.

Maybe USPSA could add a "participating club" listing on the web site?

It ALL about the marketing !!!

Chuck you have nailed that one on the head. Marketing is the key to this and to many other things.

The short answer is...I don't know.

I have always thought this would be membership driven. We (USPSA) will try to get the word out as much as possible by our normal means Front Sight and our webpage. I am working on having magazine articles written to help spread the word. I am also working on maybe having a single stack match later this year using the rules we have adopted for this venture. It might be a good test run and obtain valuable feedback from the shooters.

I hope that the members will then approach their club leaders and request the program be adopted and given a fair trial at their local club. I also hope that Match Directors will give the venture a fair trial in their state/sectional/and other type matches next year.

Start working on your club leadership now, and tell them you want this sandbox to play in. Hopefully they will be responsive.

Gary,

Thanks for the hard work !!!!! I am glad there are some of the influential out there that actually listen to what is being asked if even by a minority of shooters.

SAM KEEN

Gary, when you are marketing this division, don't forget to let all the IDPA shooters know about it. Last month we held a special single stack match at Topton Action and Practical Shooters (Area 8) and we had a really good turnout, including quite a few IDPA shooters as well as some new shooters. We paid special awards to all those shooting (.45 ACP only) single stacks limited to 8 round magazines. We used an 8 round friendly classifier and had the shooters enter the legal division of their choice for classifier purposes. This was one of the biggest local matches we have had in a couple of years. With proper marketing, I think you will start attracting new shooters to the sport and help it grow. Good luck, and thanks for your efforts. By the way, after a number of years collecting dust, I finally got to shoot the gun that I used in my first IPSC match.

Larry Eckert

Assistant Match Director

T.A.P.S.

Topton Action Practical Shooters

Thanks for the kind words. I am not exactly sure how to contact the IDPA group except through word of mouth. I will make a posting on their forum, and use any other means I have, but the best method is by just exactly what you already described. One of the reasons we held this off until next year to "officially" kick it off, was to give us time to plant some seeds and cultivate the program.

I think there are some possibilities we can achieve, but it will take work from all of us to do so.

Since I am the daddy of this, I guess my 1911 will get a work out next year also, at least I hope so :)

Gary:

Thanks for the hard work.

I shot L-10 today with a SS, didn't feel outgunned, but I like having our own club - Single Stacks rule!

The comment about letting the IDPAers know is right on. I will be letting my CDP buddies know about it.

Let's get Fomeister shooting a real gun and see how he does ;)

If the SS division (Not sure I like the sound of that) takes off, will we see L-10 go away?

I hope not.... my panties will definitely be in a wad over the $200 I just spent on 10 round mags that will essentially be worthless.... :angry: