Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions re: 9mm OAL & use in sti 40 magazines

KindredGhost

Greetings Gang,

I have a few questions.

1. What is the best OAL for reloading 9mm for use in 2011's?

2. Is there an OAL that will accomodate 2011's and glock 17 magazines?

2. Do i need to purchase new 9mm magazines?

- It appears that a common oal for 9mm in 2011 is 1.18 oal. The same oal that i load for .40. I can logically conclude that I won't need new magazines if this is the case... right?

Thanks in advanced guys!

KG

Max length for a glock 9mm mag is 1.155.

I run 1.147 for my OAL in 9 major all day long for my 2011. This is using a 124 HP from xtreme. I used the same load for an Open Glock when I was running that a few years back.

1.18 for a 9mm is a tad long. I haven't seen anyone really load longer than 1.165 or so. I load 1.15 for my PCC that uses Glock magazines as well as my 9mm 2011 with MBX magazines (no spacers). Remember that its the case length that makes you able to run 40 and 38 super without spacers, not the OAL of the round. The rib in the front of the magazine may not make good contact with the round, causing feed errors as the rounds move up the magazine. Therefore, most people need spacers in the rear of the magazine to run 9mm reliably in STI magazines. This is why SV tubes and MBX magazines are popular. The "Rib" is wider and has more contact with the case further back in the magazine. With spacers, 1.155 is about as long as you want to go in STI mags.. The feed lips on 40 magazines are a bit wider than on 9mm magazines. It works for some folks shooting 9mm in 40 mags, but not for everyone. YMMV but I would seriously consider running 9mm magazines for a 2011 9mm..

1. What is the best OAL for 9mm in 2011's?

2. Is there an OAL that will accomodate 2011's and glock 17 magazines?

2. Do i need to purchase new 9mm magazines?

Welcome aboard, KG.

Best OAL has to be determined by The Plunk Test - will vary depending

on which particular bullet you're reloading and varies by gun - you'll have

to drop the rounds in your mags as well to see if they fit.

If these are 9mm minor loads, 1.12 - 1.15" are pretty popular, but heavier

bullets may require shorter OAL's.

I doubt you can load 9mm's into a .40 caliber magazine ... May be wrong,

because I've never tried it. But, the lips would be all wrong.

Can't speak to running 9mm in 40 S&W mag for 1911 or 2011.

But I run a 40 S&W mag as my 5th mag in comps when shooting my 9MM M&P in steel matches.

The 9 rounds sit a little higher in the 40 mag, but feed and function are flawless in the M&P.

I think it would be worth a try in 19/2011.

• 4 weeks later...

The rounds will sit a bit high, and if you have a gun set to lock open when empty, it may lock open with one round still in the mag. If the rounds sit too high to feed is going to depend on the exact particulars of each gun.

Also know that some combinations of magazine, basepad, and follower will allow 9mm to roll past the follower under compression and make the mag go all salt and pepper shaker.

The .40 followers i use are the same for .40 and 38 super ( i use the new DAA followers ) .

For 9 mm i need to take a little of the back .

So i dont think you have to change the followers , just maybe change the feedlips a little for my STI mags this was not necessary but for my SPS mag i had to close them a bit .

Ok guys help me out here. If your gun functions with factory ammo and you aren't loading for major power factor, what's the advantage to loading 9mm longer than factory ammo OAL? I get the part about better acuracy by reloading and I've done that for years and I could see loading longer with 147s to get more powder in the case, but if it works with factory ammo, what do you gain by loading long with minor PF?

Ok guys help me out here. If your gun functions with factory ammo and you aren't loading for major power factor, what's the advantage to loading 9mm longer than factory ammo OAL? I get the part about better acuracy by reloading and I've done that for years and I could see loading longer with 147s to get more powder in the case, but if it works with factory ammo, what do you gain by loading long with minor PF?

I find they feed smoother. I've played around with loading 9mm 147s out to 1.200" without issues other than having to use considerable more powder. 1.180" seems to work really well.

Edited by JatCarver

Hello: 1.145" OAL will work in a Glock and a STI 2011. Depending on the width of the feed lips and the width of the mag tube on the 2011 mag will determine whether you can use a 40 tube for 9mm. If the mag tube is too wide the magazine turns into a salt shaker. If the feed lips are too wide then the rounds will pop out the top. If everything is just right a 40 tube will hold 1 1/2-2 more rounds than a 9mm/38 tube. Thanks, Eric

• 2 years later...

Bringing up a old thread here. 

This topic interest me because here in Canada we have a 10rd limit but if you can fit more rounds of 9 in a 40 mag you can use it provided you don’t modify the mag or the gun to do so. This is only for 3gun, IPSC has rules about it. I know some of the CZ and glock guys do this and fit 13 rds of 9 in there 40 mags and they run. Would love the option of doing this in my 2011. 

Anyone have Ave any more info on this ?