Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding issues with PM9

tbarker13

Recently picked up a new Dan Wesson PM9.

I'm having some issues with running my reloads - as in my ammo just doesn't seem to work.

Basically, about 30 percent of the rounds that pass a chamber check (both EGW and the Hundo case gauge) won't pass the plunk test in the barrel.

These rounds function fine in my CZ shadow, Glock 17, Glock 43 and Sphinx SDP.

I've tried it with three different bullets - SNS 147 flat, Berrys 147 RN, and Xtreme 147 RN. And I've tried varying the OAL from 1.13 to 1.15. Makes no difference.

I've ordered an undersizing die from EGW, hoping that will solve the problem. I'd really rather not have to use the barrel as the case gauge for thousands of rounds of ammo.

Wondering if anyone else has run into this. Is it simply a matter of the PM9 being more picky about what it will eat?

I haven't.

In mine if it passes the standard version of the Hundo gauge it will fit in the chamber with ease.

Might want to consider getting the chamber reamed, or asking if you can send the barrel back to have it reamed.

sounds weird. do you know if it's hanging up on the bullets? or on the case? my pm9 does not seem to be picky at all. all the ammo that doesn't fit my egw case gauge easily fits in the chamber.

Edited by motosapiens

At first, I thought that maybe the rounds were too long - and they were engaging the rifling too soon.

But when I started doing the plunk test on a bunch of ammo, i see that the OAL has nothing to do with it. It's like the failed rounds are just too wide to fit all the way into the chamber. They get stuck as much as 1/8th of an inch out of battery.

Had similar issues with my PM9 and several coated bullet brands. I tried shortening the OAL all the way down to 1.110" (carefully) with no help. The bullet profile was engaging the rifling and causing out-of-battery problems.

I've since gone back to my pet load of 147gr. Zero JHP at 1.142" OAL and they seem to work just fine. I'm sure that the chamber can be reamed to fix the problem, just load-up some dummy rounds and send it to a gunsmith with the barrel so they they get it right, should only cost a few bucks.

At first, I thought that maybe the rounds were too long - and they were engaging the rifling too soon.

But when I started doing the plunk test on a bunch of ammo, i see that the OAL has nothing to do with it. It's like the failed rounds are just too wide to fit all the way into the chamber. They get stuck as much as 1/8th of an inch out of battery.

but they pass the egw gauge? that seems odd,esp since you are also using plated bullets. I would have the barrel looked at and measured I think.

Hello: Pull the bullets that don't go into the barrel. Then try the brass alone in the barrel. If the brass fits all the way in then the bullets are oversize. Also check to see if the bullets you are using are leaving some deposits in the barrel chamber. Thanks, Eric

Using a bunch of different types of brass. A total of 5 different bullets - three different SnS versions, a Berrys and an Extreme.

I talked to Dan Wesson today. They said the barrel may need to be worked on since i'm using reloads. They are having me send it in.

With the rounds that do feed, it's a beautiful gun, so far. Very accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the gun back from Dan Wesson today.

They reamed the barrel chamber and re-cut the feed ramp.

Just need to get it back out to the range to see if the issues are resolved.

At the very least, I'm quite happy with how fast they took care of this - at no cost to me.

Very interesting read...my wife's PM-9 has never been asked to digest any factory ammo in it's short life of approx. 3000 rounds, and has functioned perfectly with all of the different handloads I have thrown it's way.

Yesterday it even cycled some 147 Bayous loaded with 3.3 gr of Power Pistol. VERY soft.

I have found the 9mm 1911's like to be loaded at a longer length (1.144-1.155) than our plastic pistols and rumor has it that CZ's have a short chamber that will not tolerate those lengths.

You'll love the PM 9 if it 's running, the wife loves hers, but I'm not sure I'd trade her for my RO 9 !

Let us know how it works now after DW's work.

JD

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked one up in a trade here. It ran store bought ammo of all weights (tried 115, 124 and 147) just fine. It would not chamber my reloads with the 165's loaded to 1.15". They were hanging up at the last 1/16th of the round. I made sure my sizing die was adjusted correctly but just couldn't get them to chamber reliably until I took a few minutes to polish the throat with some fine sandpaper. Now they chamber and drop free 100%. This gun is really fun to shoot with these loads, it hardly moves at all.