Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 pro in 9 pro blade tech holster

Craig N

Yes.

But the .40 Pro 5" slide is a bit wider than the 9mm 5" so a little attention to the adjustment screws on the Blade Tech holster is necessary for the correct retention and fit.

At least on mine there is. Once adjusted , it's fine.

Good luck......

There are no differences between the 40 and 9 guns besides hole size. Even the 357 Sig guns use the same parts. A holster for a 9 pro will fit a 40 pro and vice versa. There is a difference between the 9l slides though, so that is something to look out for.

The 9L slide has a different, thicker snout on the slide than the 9PRO. Since 9L's are fairly rare compared to the PRO model, lots of companies lack a 9L holster. You have to warm the muzzle end of a kydex holster up with a heat gun and then drop the gun into it and expand it just slightly to fit into a 9PRO holster. It will still work perfectly with a 9PRO afterward, too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

There are no differences between the 40 and 9 guns besides hole size. Even the 357 Sig guns use the same parts. A holster for a 9 pro will fit a 40 pro and vice versa. There is a difference between the 9l slides though, so that is something to look out for.

I thought the same thing, but this is absolutely not accurate. I ran a m&p9 pro in production last year. My blade tech holster fit perfectly ... Without significantly loosening the retention screws my m&p40 would not even insert half way down into the holster. And even with the screws opened way up it still fits MUCH tighter than the 9. The slide profile is noticeably thicker than the 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

The 9L slide has a different, thicker snout on the slide than the 9PRO. Since 9L's are fairly rare compared to the PRO model, lots of companies lack a 9L holster. You have to warm the muzzle end of a kydex holster up with a heat gun and then drop the gun into it and expand it just slightly to fit into a 9PRO holster. It will still work perfectly with a 9PRO afterward, too.

This is almost right. The OLD model 9L (which is somewhat uncommon) had a slight bevel to the muzzle end of the slide but was no thicker than the 9pro. The 40 might have been slightly thicker, I don't know for sure. Currently S&W sells a 9L and a 9Pro and the slides are the same dimension. (The use of the C.O.R.E mount with an optic being the relevant consideration)

Anyone care to explain where the difference in measurements is located?

If I put my calipers across the width of the 9 mm Pro 5" slide between the front sight and ejection port it measures .88 wide

Same measurement across the 5" .40 Pro slide, same location measures .96 wide

The 2 slides are dimensionally different for sure.

Hope this helps........

Edited by beretta391

This is almost right. The OLD model 9L (which is somewhat uncommon) had a slight bevel to the muzzle end of the slide but was no thicker than the 9pro. The 40 might have been slightly thicker, I don't know for sure. Currently S&W sells a 9L and a 9Pro and the slides are the same dimension. (The use of the C.O.R.E mount with an optic being the relevant consideration)

I have an original ancient 9L, as mentioned above. I wasn't aware there was a new model. I know S&W discontinued the 9L several years back, and I wasn't aware they had resumed making non-PRO longslide models.

I recently bought a Blade Tech for my 5" M&Ps. I purchased it selecting the M&P 9 Pro 5" option. When it came in I was disappointed in the way it fit. It fit tight on the sides of the slide on slimmed down area of the slide near the front sight. It was enough to pull the slide back 1/8-3/16" out of battery when holstered. I massaged the inside of the holster with my Dremel in the that location and was very happy with the results.

After seeing this thread, it made me wonder so I drug out the calipers. All of the slides measured the same at the widest point. The .40 was .002 wider but I'd say that is because it has been CeraKoted. A) I measured the width of the slide just above the radius of the rail, 1" in front of the ejection port. B) Then again even with the center of the front sight.

#1 M&P 9L mfg ~ 7-14-2010 A .899 B.787

#2 M&P 9L mfg ~ 1-30-2014 A .904 B .784

#3 M&P 9 Pro mfg ~ 4-13-2012 A .878 B .812

#4 M&P 40 Pro mfg ~ 3-11-2011 A .960 B .812

I hadn't attempted to drop the .40 Pro in the holster until a few minutes ago. It is a bit snug compared to the 9s. It is a very minor difference but I do see the slide coming slightly out of battery as it goes in. SInce I'm a bit OCD, I'll break out some wet/dry sandpaper and work the inside surface area where it rubs on the sides of the slide to see if I can take that out.

Additionally my Comp-tac international and paddle holsters are both marked "M&P Pro" and all 4 work excellent. Comp-tac shows the Pro 5" for 9mm and .40 as the same with a different one for the 9L.

I'm sure it drives the holster makers crazy.

Wow, so there is actually several different model widths. I'd be interested in seeing the actual weights of the slides (no barrel, spring, or guide) as well. I don't know that we could control for weight of differing sights.

Here's my measurements for an M&P 40 Pro 5" (circa 2012)

"A" = .962" "B" = .809" "C" (widest portion on slide) = 1.084"

Weight (slide with OEM sights, no barrel, no recoil spring assembly, otherwise fully assembled)

420 grams

14.8 oz

My holster is a Blade-Tech DOH ICE, from 2012, no markings on the holster. Purchased from Red Dot Shooting (formerly and online retail store) shows and invoice for "S&W M&P 9L/Pro". It fits snug, no issues.

I have an original ancient 9L, as mentioned above. I wasn't aware there was a new model. I know S&W discontinued the 9L several years back, and I wasn't aware they had resumed making non-PRO longslide models.

Yeah, they've mixed things up a bit. The current 9L is a ported, long slide, C.O.R.E. Performance center model. Same slide profile as the current pro. I really liked the shape of the original 9L slide. Wish they would have stuck with it.

It was a little bit lighter, too.

When I bought mine, the PRO charged you extra for trigger parts that needed an APEX replacement, sights that needed a Dawson replacement, and a heavier slide (which is obviously a bad thing).

There's a reason they discontinued the L's. Competition shooters who did their research were all skipping over their flagship PRO model and buying it's stripped down brother.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

There's a reason they discontinued the L's. Competition shooters who did their research were all skipping over their flagship PRO model and buying it's stripped down brother.

I imagine it had more to do with sales numbers of the 9L vs the 9Pro. I bet less were doing the homework and selecting the Pro over the 9L based on the name. My first M&P was a Pro (4.25"). I selected it based on the better trigger than my wife's std 9 FS and the night sights.

Fast forward a few years and it now has different sights and an Apex FSS & trigger. It remains my primary carry after all these years. It has a stock twin I acquired later that has one of the best out of the box triggers I've seen in an M&P. All of the others I own have had some sort of trigger work except this one and a 4.25" CORE. The CORE will get some work. The stock pro will stay stock in case I have a need for an unmolested gun. It still gets some trigger time.

The triggers on the later standard M&Ps are better from the samples I have seen. They have narrowed the difference between the std and pro. I know the link is different, he slide lock changed, and I suspect there is a change in the sear.

I still think the Pro and CORE are good choices for someone who refuses to modify their firearm or those who work for agencies that do not allow it.

The triggers on the later standard M&Ps are better from the samples I have seen. They have narrowed the difference between the std and pro. I know the link is different, he slide lock changed, and I suspect there is a change in the sear.

There have been so many revisions in trigger parts alone, it's nearly impossible to keep track...

At least 3 different slide stops.

At least 4 different sears for the different M&P 9/40 (not counting the 45/Shield sears, which one does the 45 Shield have?)

At least 3 different trigger bars.

And 5 different strikers.

Truly dizzying. They are much different animals than when first released.

What I don't understand is why the PC models don't ship with the "bump" slide stop lever.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the 40 last weekend and it needed a little adjustment on the Blade Tech to draw as slick as the 9. With my raven type holster it slide right in and right out. Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate the answers.

• 2 weeks later...