Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full length dustcovers and IPSC Classic division

mrd

Full length dustcovers is currently not permitted in IPSC Classic, due to the max length of 75 mm (3").

I've heard there are discussions to remove this restriction, as well as the mandatory stirrup cuts, from the division rules. Does anyone have any insight about the current status of these discussions? Does it seem likely that guns like the STI Rangemaster will be legal for Classic in any forseeable future?

I'm more and more tempted by the 1911 platform, grip size and trigger feel would be a big step up for me and my diminutive hands. Currently shooting a small frame Tanfoglio. I prefer heavy guns and the STI Rangemaster would be my first choice, but it would be a bummer to be limited to Standard division.

Considering a lot of shooters actually prefer lighter guns because of faster transitions etc, and others like me prefer heavier guns, I'm not personally convinced that either route offers any significant advantage. I believe it has more to do with personal preference and shooting style. If it was up to me I would drop the "Classic" division name and just focus on a Single Stack 1911 IPSC divison.

Edited by mrd

if you were to allow full length dustcovers you have just recreated SS/limited, no where near Classic I already have a few issue's with what's allowed and not allowed but as it is it's my Division of choice.

The fact that it's called Classic and under the rules they must be a visible resemblance and have the 'features and contours' of the "1911" design, which unfortunately they have already altered by allowing rails.

Personally at inception of "Classic" I would have allowed the wonder 9's of the early IPSC year's also but limited them to 10 rounds (same as minor PF)

Edited by terrydoc

The fact that it's called Classic and under the rules they must be a visible resemblance and have the 'features and contours' of the "1911" design, which unfortunately they have already altered by allowing rails.

Personally at inception of "Classic" I would have allowed the wonder 9's of the early IPSC year's also but limited them to 10 rounds (same as minor PF)

It would be fun to campaign a Hi-Power among the 1911s.

It would be fun to campaign a Hi-Power among the 1911s.

Yeah and it isn't like it is really easier to reload a hi power either so it probably would be pretty even or maybe even worse compared to a 1911

Absolutely easier to load a hicap but they were the Classic pistols of the day were they not? What I'm sort of getting at is the name of the division, if they wanted just 1911's then it should have stayed the classic design, and allow extremely limited accessories ie: S&A size magwell, (or none) no rail, iron sights ( no fibre).

As I said minor accessories.

Edited by terrydoc

IMHO, since IPSC Classic is a division in pistol shooting competition, the rules should focus on those aspects of the gun that makes a significant advantage in competition. Only permitting single stack magazines limits the round count and reloadability of the pistols. Mandatory stirrup cuts and restricting the dustcover length does not, IMHO.

I think it is great that there exists a division where shooters with smaller hands can compete on even terms with single stack pistols that they can properly handle. I think it's unneccessarily limiting that the division is restricted to only 1911's of a certain look. As stated, I'd rather they renamed the division to "IPSC Single Stack" and focused the restrictions to such that permitted single stack pistols to compete on reasonably even terms.

• 3 years later...

See appendix D3: Classic Division.

There is no maximum barrel length but the gun must fit the box:

A handgun in its ready condition (see Section 8.1), but unloaded and with an empty magazine inserted, must fit wholly within the confines of a box which has internal dimensions of 225 mm x 150 mm x 45 mm (tolerance of +1 mm, -0 mm).  Note that all magazines must comply. 

15. The handgun is placed inside the box (and ultimately removed) by the competitor with the slide parallel to the longest side of the box.  Rear adjustable sights may be slightly depressed during insertion but the slide must be fully forward when the gun is seated inside the box. 

On 5/29/2016 at 11:55 AM, mrd said:

IMHO, since IPSC Classic is a division in pistol shooting competition, the rules should focus on those aspects of the gun that makes a significant advantage in competition. Only permitting single stack magazines limits the round count and reloadability of the pistols. Mandatory stirrup cuts and restricting the dustcover length does not, IMHO.

I think it is great that there exists a division where shooters with smaller hands can compete on even terms with single stack pistols that they can properly handle. I think it's unneccessarily limiting that the division is restricted to only 1911's of a certain look. As stated, I'd rather they renamed the division to "IPSC Single Stack" and focused the restrictions to such that permitted single stack pistols to compete on reasonably even terms.

i think same.😉 i prefer long dust cover/rail  for all new ss guns that fit ipsc box.

45 minutes ago, BillT1964 said:

Can anyone please confirm whether the max barrel length for IPSC Classic is exactly 5in as I have found a Wilson Combat pistol that has a 5.1in barrel and am concerned that it may not qualify?

sti dvc SS has 5.4" barrel and it was in use for ipsc competitions in Europe.