Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experiencing Double-Feeding Bullets SV 2011 Gun SV Mags

sophiasmith

I have been shooting 9mm Major for almost a year now. I decided to take the plunge and purchased a 38 super comp SV...... Love the gun!!! when it works. I am experiencing double feeds continuously; four times today during a match!! IT IS NOT THE AMMO! It's exactly what the manufacturer called for......... EXACTLY!

The gun seems to go into battery and then bounce back slightly and feed another round. I have a brand-new 8lb recoil spring in the gun. Three ROs witnessed this happening to me today.

Is it the mags or is it the gun???????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bounce back slightly and feed another round? The slide would have to recoil back about 1 1/2" to strip another round from the mag.

Are you using the same magazines from your 9 major gun? If not, what is the width of the feed lips on the magazine?

Sounds like a mag issue to me too. But in the search of simple solutions try a 9 or 10lb recoil spring (especially if you truly think the slide is 'bouncing' back out of battery).

Edited by BeerBaron

Slightly off topic, but how are you liking 38sc compared to the 9mm major?

I love it! A good assimilation would be singing karaoke and watching the little ball bounce verses an erratic sharp zigzag up-and-down with my nine major. It's so, so smooth. There's less powder and much less bouncing of the site in other words. It's nowhere near as snappy. I can't say enough good about it when it works. Drove me absolutely crazy yesterday. Edited by sophiasmith

Three different ROs have seen the gun bounce back. They have told me so, but I can't say that I have witnessed it while I'm shooting it. I just know I get to live rounds up in the chamber.. I have to drop the mag drop one of those rounds and stick the mag back in and the gun goes bang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to agree with other posters, I don't think it's possible for the slide to "bounce back" as you describe. Feed lip dimensions would be my guess. Brandon is in Germany for the Infinity Euro Open this week, but I'd contact the factory to send it to them for inspection. Is this a factory new pistol or did you buy it used?

Factory new.

I have been thinking about it, and I think maybe what is happening is the bullets are becoming mixed up in the mag when I make a mag change during a stage and I go ahead and straighten out what I can see, Not realizing that the bullets underneath may be out of line, and then go ahead and fill it to capacity, and there may be a bullet facing up down lower in the mag and when I put that mag back in it feeds all the bullets normally and then there's one that's sitting straight up and it appears as though the slide is bouncing back to the RO When actually it hasn't closed completely. I don't know if you can follow that, but that is what I'm thinking at this point.

I was planning on calling them on Monday, but I wanted to have a good idea what I was dealing with and see what other people thought about it before bothering them again. The gun only has about 2500 rounds through it and I've already called them a couple of times with questions.

maybe the bullets are becoming mixed up in the mag when I make a mag change during a stage and I go ahead and straighten out what I can see, Not realizing that the bullets underneath may be out of line

Every time the mag hits the ground, you need to clean the mag - unload it, take it apart and clean the insides.

Then, reload it again.

Next time to the range, try cleaning your mags and loading them to capacity - see if the problem goes away.

Betch it might ... :cheers:

What are the specs of the ammo that you're running??

All too often I've heard the "it's not the ammo" comment.

It meets all criteria of mags that need tuning.

Welcome to the world drag racing with guns!!

Soooo sweet yet if not tuned, soooo salty!

Oh, sooo salty. I'm at a match today and using different mags and emptying the mags prior to refilling them. I haven't had the problem today.

The bullet specs are overall length 1.24, crimp 378, primers seated properly, 125 gr Hornady HAP, 9.7 grains of the VV3N38, CCI small pistol primers, PF of 174.9. That's all by memory, BTW. You check it often enough and you find that you'll remember it.

It sounds like this is what I had happen with two SPS mags when my Para 16.40 was new. Everything would be going along fine and all of the sudden (usually mid-mag) the slide would not go into battery ...

I would pull the slide back and there would be a round underneath the extractor (normal) but another "unfired" round in front of it ... in the chamber.

The tip off for me was that both rounds were unfired. After checking around ... I found a thread on this forum talking about inertia feed.

The first thing I did when the gun was new was put a lighter mainspring and recoil spring in the gun. What was happening was when the slide would come back a round would pop out of the magazine and sit there ... when the slide came forward it would pick up a fresh round from the mag and try to chamber it ... but the extra unfired round was in front of it and blocked it. This would only happen on my two SPS mags and only once per full mag sometimes (my two factory mags and one MBX never displayed the problem).

Following advise I found here (I think someone already said "tune your mags") I bent the top of the spring so that the follower was pointing "up" at the front and have not had the problem since.

While I was fooling around initially trying to fix this I put the factory recoil spring back in along with a shock buffer and longer OAL ... and that suppressed the problem ... after finding the real solution and changing the attitude of the followers (make them nose up) on the two errant mags ... that was no longer necessary. (but I kept the longer ammo OAL).

Oh, sooo salty. I'm at a match today and using different mags and emptying the mags prior to refilling them. I haven't had the problem today.

The bullet specs are overall length 1.24, crimp 378, primers seated properly, 125 gr Hornady HAP, 9.7 grains of the VV3N38, CCI small pistol primers, PF of 174.9. That's all by memory, BTW. You check it often enough and you find that you'll remember it.

Ahhhhh.

I live in AZ, (our mags drop into both fine and course sand).

I typically shoot my open gun and don't need to perform mag changes unless the stage calls for it.

When I shoot my limited gun and especially single stack those mags are taken apart and brushed, (ARREDONDO mag brush ~$12) before they go pack into a pouch, much less a gun. Sounds like you've found the culprit!

Edited by MKitzmiller

Thank you very much, Pete. I have only been shooting a short period of time, and I have taken the mags apart and cleaned them (never much needed but wiped clean) and I have straightened the springs in them.

But are you saying that once you drop a mag during a match, you don't use that mag again during that match? You take it home, take it completely apart and clean it prior to using it again? I would need quite a few mags if I did that. I really don't have time to take them apart and clean them in-between stages.

And another question: they had an 8lb spring in the gun, told me change springs every 1,500 rounds. I called and ordered an 8 AND a 9. It happened with both, but I do think the gun performed better with the 9lb.

A friend of mine who shoots open said he never runs less than a 10 lb spring.

I think I am sticking with the 9. I even played with the thought of going 10. But I am tuning those mags first thing...... NOSE UP!

Thanks again, Pete!

Thank you very much, Pete. I have only been shooting a short period of time, and I have taken the mags apart and cleaned them (never much needed but wiped clean) and I have straightened the springs in them.

But are you saying that once you drop a mag during a match, you don't use that mag again during that match? You take it home, take it completely apart and clean it prior to using it again? I would need quite a few mags if I did that. I really don't have time to take them apart and clean them in-between stages.

And another question: they had an 8lb spring in the gun, told me change springs every 1,500 rounds. I called and ordered an 8 AND a 9. It happened with both, but I do think the gun performed better with the 9lb.

A friend of mine who shoots open said he never runs less than a 10 lb spring.

I think I am sticking with the 9. I even played with the thought of going 10. But I am tuning those mags first thing...... NOSE UP!

Thanks again, Pete!

I carry a brush ... but try really hard to keep the "big" mags from getting dirty ... When a reload allows it I will slap a discard mag on my belt magnet to keep it from hitting the ground.

You are right ... you can only have so many (expensive ... big ..) mags in your bag.

On my two bad actor mags ... I could load them up ... and then tap them lightly and watch the bullet at the top start creeping forward. Not a shock that one would pop out if the slide retraction got really violent.

The nose up attitude on the follower works at pushing them back against the wall where they belong. :cheers:

Now that I have a minute to take a breath and I am finally warm and dry, I would really like to thank you all for your input once again. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have all you folks with experience out there to pass things by at times.

Now as to my problem, I do believe it is how I am handling the mags after having had to drop one during a stage. Often times on mandatory reloads I will have many bullets in my mag rather than those I need/or may need and I drop the mag, pick it up straighten the few on top, smack the back of the mag and refill it and use it on the next stage......... halfway through the stage, boom..... or more accurately, no boom; a double feed of two live bullets.\

I took my calipers out this evening when I got home and compared the lips on the different mags and I am going to go out and do some testing WHEN IT WARMS UP AND STOPS RAINING!!!! I am starting to believe that may never happen here in Pittsburgh, though.

I will post what the verdict is when I have one.

Thanks Again, All!!

Sophia. You should have enough time between stages to:

Unload any mags you used and/or dropped on stage

Slip off the base, pull out spring and follower

Run brush or pull through cloth through mag

Wipe follower

Re-assemble

Reload them up.

At a bare minimum any mag you used (even your last mag that didn't get dropped but has been in the gun) you should completely empty it, then reload it full again.

At least once during the day try to disassemble and clean them. But if you at least unload and reload them that 'should' solve this issue.

Best of luck. :)

Any mag dropped I clean with brush before next stage.

all rounds in that mag, are dumped in the "training only" pouch and i put fresh rounds in.

the joys of open division, this aint plastic striker fired pistols made for war.